Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2020, 08:30   #136

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Food preparation for long voyages without refridgeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter View Post
Mike OReilly, ok, I see...it would be actually pretty interesting to see how such a side-by-side comparison would turn out. I'm generally always a bit cautious when I put several foods together. If one is bad, others might go bad too. The ripening process could also be accelerated. That's why you should never put apples and bananas together, for example, because otherwise they ripen a lot faster. This also has something to do with the ethylene gasses...But don’t ask me how and why! I don't really know anything about that either...I only speak from my own experience I have also learned some tricks from the internet or from television…the best would be to gather some experiences and see what works best for you
By the way, fruits and vegetables should never be washed and then stored. They lose a natural "layer" and quickly go bad. So it's best to wash the vegetables and fruit just before eating or cooking.

All good points, and practices .
Old 10-10-2020, 09:50   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter View Post
Mike OReilly, ok, I see...it would be actually pretty interesting to see how such a side-by-side comparison would turn out. I'm generally always a bit cautious when I put several foods together. If one is bad, others might go bad too. The ripening process could also be accelerated. That's why you should never put apples and bananas together, for example, because otherwise they ripen a lot faster. This also has something to do with the ethylene gasses...But don’t ask me how and why! I don't really know anything about that either...I only speak from my own experience I have also learned some tricks from the internet or from television…the best would be to gather some experiences and see what works best for you
By the way, fruits and vegetables should never be washed and then stored. They lose a natural "layer" and quickly go bad. So it's best to wash the vegetables and fruit just before eating or cooking.
Many commercially grown fruits and veggies are waxed at the processing plant to extend time before spoilage. Also, wood baskets held bacteria and increased spoilage so the industry changed to plastic to help. These were two major improvements in reducing spoilage. So don't use wood baskets on your boat for storing fresh fruit and veggies either.

I'm not sure how much this matters anymore because almost every cruiser I see has refrigeration and/or doesn't stay off the civilized grid very long.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:56   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill View Post
Many commercially grown fruits and veggies are waxed at the processing plant to extend time before spoilage. Also, wood baskets held bacteria and increased spoilage so the industry changed to plastic to help. These were two major improvements in reducing spoilage. So don't use wood baskets on your boat for storing fresh fruit and veggies either.

I'm not sure how much this matters anymore because almost every cruiser I see has refrigeration and/or doesn't stay off the civilized grid very long.

We mostly store our non-refrigerated fruit and veg in hammocks or other material baskets. I suspect the aeration helps. You just have to be careful not to allow to much jostling around which leads to bruising.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:45   #139

Boat: O'Day 34

We tried the fruit hammocks also. They were cute at the dock but when sailing they beat up the fruit badly as the boat heeled and pitched.
So...we retired the hammocks and the fruit is relegated to shallow open plastic bowls with non-skid soft rubber on the bottoms.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:00   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
We tried the fruit hammocks also. They were cute at the dock but when sailing they beat up the fruit badly as the boat heeled and pitched.
So...we retired the hammocks and the fruit is relegated to shallow open plastic bowls with non-skid soft rubber on the bottoms.

Depends on how they move underway. Ours swing clear, and our tight, so hold things in place.
Old 11-10-2020, 14:23   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
(Note that the jars with the metal hinge and bail arrangement also make decent dry goods storage and for that you can reuse the rubber seal as long as it is in good shape, as getting a perfect seal for preservation purposes is not necessary. I particularly like them for storage where there’s more rodent risk, as they can’t chew through the glass but can get through many plastics given enough time. So stuff you’re planning to stash in the back of a cupboard somewhere perhaps.)
Yeah, earlier in the year, I bought a bunch of the glass jars with the metal hinge/bail, to use for dry storage. I think they are made in Italy. They help maximize our use of storage drawers as well as making it easier to find and use dry goods. Wish I had bought them years ago...

Those glass jars, along with Lock Lock boxes, have worked very well for preserving foods, organizing space, and using available space efficiently.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 14:37   #142

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Go to McD’s and take hand fulls of their single serving size condiment packs. And I hear that their burgers last forever too...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 15:20   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
Go to McD’s and take hand fulls of their single serving size condiment packs. And I hear that their burgers last forever too...

For ultra light camping I have done something like this. Wawa gas stations have a wide selection of condiments including honey and lemon juice.

Oatmeal with dehydrated fruit and honey makes for a delicious breakfast.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 21:07   #144

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

I apologize for my sarcasm...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 13:00   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill View Post

BBill, that's right, you would have to consider that too. Although I have to admit that it bothers me that many commercially grown fruits and vegetables are waxed ... I always like to eat the peel of fruits and vegetables because it contains the most vitamins. Of course only if you can eat the bowl with you... and if they are waxed, you have to wash them more than carefully…But true, normally cruisers do not stay off the civilized grid very long...but it's always good to have some background knowledge and some experience...this has often helped me when travelling ;-) That sounds like an adventure to me again… which I am missing so much in these moments…
shanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 04:23   #146

We grow sprouts on board and its been a game changer. Its very simple and you don't need much equipment.

Seed Sprouter
Speeds

we usually have two containers and grow two or three types of sprouts.
tolip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 05:22   #147
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolip View Post
We grow sprouts on board and its been a game changer. Its very simple and you don't need much equipment.

Seed Sprouter
Speeds

Here is a photo album of our taugé maker. Taugé is Asian style mung bean sprouting. What you can’t learn from the pictures: you have to grow them in the dark and the top container is filled with water.

The reasons: when dark, the sprout thinks it is below ground and grows upwards. The weight on top prevents growing up so the sprout grows thicker and stronger to push the container up.

https://sv-jedi.smugmug.com/GalleyRecipes/Tauge/

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 05:39   #148

very similar method to what we do on board. Some seeds we keep in the dark for the whole time and it works really well.

We've been very happy with Nature Jims Sprouts. All of their sprouts are organic and sprout within 24 hours. Our favourite is the alfalfa.
tolip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 08:48   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolip View Post

Seed Sprouter
Speeds

Been using this for many years now. Works great. Simple, effective. Once you get rolling you just keep cycling the trays, giving a constant supply.
Old 23-10-2020, 19:36   #150

Boat: Looking

I've gotta try that on the dirt dwelling before setting off.

Tags
food