Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2016, 14:57   #31

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat
Re: Folding dolly or luggage cart/dolly

hi, whatknot
I was just handed the computer to answer this question. I have been using a shopping trolley for years / bought from BigW / light weight frame with a bag attached and a pocket on the handle side / they are about $20AUD and last a fair while / the tyres wear off and sometimes the plastic spokes crack if used to carry batteries etc / to remedy this problem / 2 solid wheels were fitted by drilling the ends of the axles and fitting split pins to hold solid disc type billy cart wheels also bought from BigW / eventually after many drownings and dumped by waves getting off the beach ( also floats) the frame rusted out and was replaced by a similar trolley from Porters hardware / so back to use till the tyres are worn out then start again replacing wheels etc / shopping trolleys are available from most department stores /
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 18:39   #32

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

While we carry a lightweight folding hand truck much like Mike O'Reilly's. Ours is of uncertain Chinese origin and came from Big Lots. We use it to haul cases of beer, groceries, laundry, jugs of fuel, etc. It is a little flimsy and a little short. It has not broken yet, but...

Northern Tool keeps a somewhat heavier and more sturdy version which may be its replacement.

Roughneck Folding Aluminum Hand Truck — 600-Lb. Capacity | Specialty Hand Trucks| Northern Tool + Equipment

Although larger when collapsed, it is taller and has real handles, bigger wheels, and a larger capacity.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 21:13   #33

Boat: Lots of boats.

For those interested in the West Marine cart ($36.99), I picked up the same cart at Office Depot (US) for $12, a third of the cost of West Marine. Its on sale for $15 and I got an additional 20% off. And this cart comes with a lid. Its unclear if the West Marine version has a lid as the pictures do not show one. The dimensions seem to be about the same.
Office Depot Brand Mobile Folding Cart With Lid 16 H x 18 W x 15 D Blue by Office Depot & OfficeMax
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 21:21   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

This is the model we used on our last two cruises. I've hauled four six volt golf car batteries, and four six gallon jerry cans of water in it.
This is what we have also and love it. Once empty, there is a button in the center that you lift and it immediately folds. Set it on the ground and it opens right up.

We also have the little folding box someone else posted but it's worthless on anything but a smooth floor due to the 2" diameter wheels.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 23:23   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Now that looks better than what we have.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
While we carry a lightweight folding hand truck much like Mike O'Reilly's. Ours is of uncertain Chinese origin and came from Big Lots. We use it to haul cases of beer, groceries, laundry, jugs of fuel, etc. It is a little flimsy and a little short. It has not broken yet, but...

Northern Tool keeps a somewhat heavier and more sturdy version which may be its replacement.

Roughneck Folding Aluminum Hand Truck — 600-Lb. Capacity | Specialty Hand Trucks| Northern Tool + Equipment

Although larger when collapsed, it is taller and has real handles, bigger wheels, and a larger capacity.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 03:46   #36

Boat: Tartan 37

That`ll last about 2 years. We had one and it slowly came apart. The West Marine folding milk crate on wheels, that is.
smacsdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 04:17   #37
cruiser

We use a Burley Travoy bicycle trailer for grocery shopping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	129937  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 05:26   #38

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I have one of the ones like Mike O'Reilly linked to , but like Lone Soldier I bought mine at Harbor Freight for $29.99. And while Sailor chic doesn't prefer it mine does lock in down position and the wheels consistently navigate rough terrain. A great piece of equipment. Foufou
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 05:56   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Depends on the size of the boat. I've been happy with one of these for many years. Rather I have used them for many years, but the only last 2-3 of heavy use (I haul 5 gallon gas cans across a field).

They fold up tiny and you can stack quite a bit. Iv'e used other carts, and these are just handier, for me. West Marine sells them for more money.

The main thing that goes wrong is that the hinge pins fall out. Just drop in a common nail and use it for another year or two. I've gotten several for free, left by the dumpster just missing a pin.
this one sucks. it breaks easily. it also does not carry much, as you will learn first time used and it breaks. awesome pita. the floor part breaks. not pins, the entire floor. ok fail. had 2 now they are decorating someones burn pit.
the metal one doesnot go on a bus well, nor do the others. have fun with these fail carts. they are great if you have a car.
i am still seeking a foldable cart i can EASILY carry ON A BUS to and from shopping.
not one of the carts you all mentioned can do this, therefore they are fail for shopping while cruising.i have used all of em and disliked their fail and inconvenience.
when ye consider that a good provisioning for boat takes approx 100 pond of carrying, then your cart makes difference.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 06:23   #40

Boat: Tartan 37

We just bought this one from Costco for around $30, light and folds up very compact. Has a very nice removable insulation foam cooler. The terrain cart (hold max 100lbs) can be use with or without cooler. Cooler can be fold flat easy for storage. One of the uses for the cart beside groceries, is to be able to carry jerry jugs. Wanted removable basket, light, easy fold up and have multiple uses. Used it once and seems suited for our propose. This and a couple backpacks should work for us.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CR74AR2...CKZ9XQZ0B4150F
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 06:40   #41

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

We use the Wonder Cart - Amazon around $61.00. We keep it in the back of my Explorer. It folds up when on the boat and fits easily within my port lazarette. We don't keep our boat plugged in at our homeport due to Marina restrictions, so have to transport a cooler with food and keep the food in the cooler until our refrig/freezer gets down to temperature. It holds our cooler on the bottom, bags and other supplies in the mesh container.

Since 2003 we are on our third one. Would have been two, but one ended up in the lake and was unrecoverable. It is light, foldable and easily rolls along the dock. We've stayed on our boat 988 days since 2003 so these get a workout. Highly recommend, but THEY DON'T FLOAT!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 01:29   #42

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Foldi...WAW4EMF7BC5NB2

We use one like this, only ours doesn't have dually wheels. Tires are soft but not pneumatic. Folds easily , no liner, we put it on deck in a garbage bag which gets used for laundry. We also use it for motel hopping when needed. It works well on stairs. We are able to fit a large tote into the top, and it will not drop inside the basket. Very handy and not expensive. Right now it's in the back of the pickup.
Personally I never liked the dually steers, even on children's strollers. Clumsy imho.
There are a lot of different carts out there as evidenced by the posts.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 08:38   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Foldi...WAW4EMF7BC5NB2

We use one like this, only ours doesn't have dually wheels. Tires are soft but not pneumatic. Folds easily , no liner, we put it on deck in a garbage bag which gets used for laundry. We also use it for motel hopping when needed. It works well on stairs. We are able to fit a large tote into the top, and it will not drop inside the basket. Very handy and not expensive. Right now it's in the back of the pickup.
Personally I never liked the dually steers, even on children's strollers. Clumsy imho.
There are a lot of different carts out there as evidenced by the posts.
found this one for sale in mexico online for 727 pesos. awesome find. they usually run 1500 pesos. i will get one of these, as they are less than 10 pounds of hand carrying and toting on buses and such awesome fun exercises.
practical and not too heavy or unwieldy to take on a bus to shop and return in a taxi.
Old 23-08-2016, 19:35   #44

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Depends on the size of the boat. I've been happy with one of these for many years. Rather I have used them for many years, but the only last 2-3 of heavy use (I haul 5 gallon gas cans across a field).

They fold up tiny and you can stack quite a bit. Iv'e used other carts, and these are just handier, for me. West Marine sells them for more money.

The main thing that goes wrong is that the hinge pins fall out. Just drop in a common nail and use it for another year or two. I've gotten several for free, left by the dumpster just missing a pin.
I like these. You can take them on a bus.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 19:43   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
I like these. You can take them on a bus.
i have had bottoms fallout on 3 of these-not a pin, the plastic breaks. not suitable for provisioning. glad they were gifts as they did not last long.
something about bumpy dirt/cobblestone roads and 100pounds of food and supplies.

i give 2 stars only.