Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 14:15   #16

Re: Fishing while sailing

Three inch Drone spoon on a 60 lb rig , mono , worked for us for many years . Caught small tuna . Spanish and Kings . Same rig trolled real slow on the banks caught snappers .
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 14:32   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i use lures color of fishies favorite snacks: dorado babies(green and yellow), magenta and purple, silver colored ones and color of flying fish.
A splash of red on lures helps. I've heard it explained by a keen fisherman as working because the red looks like flared gills of a fish in distress.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 15:16   #18

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

good video.

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 17:53   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We used a hardline of about 60' of parachute cord with a snubber and 10' of 200# test stranded SS leader. Lures were a metal head with red feathers and a double hook of moderate size. They were small compared to the Marlin Lures sport fishing boats use here but not all that small, probably about 5". Tried monofilament leaders but lost several lures to Ono, they just chomped through the plastic leader, so went back to the heavy SS wire. We only drug a line when we were on deck to monitor the lures. Still drowned a few fish when we weren't very attentive. Fortunately never brought in a fish that had been chomped on.

Caught fish every time we wanted it for dinner from San Diego to Tahiti. Never caught another fish cruising the Isle Sous Le Vent in FP and the sail back to or sailing around Hawaii. Possibly because the feather lures were pretty munched up after all those fish strikes.

Caught fish under 40 lbs and mostly under 20. Albacore, Ahe, Aku, Ono and a few Barracuda were the big bulk of our catch. Caught a number of Ono when going into an atoll or bay that we shared with the locals once anchored. Made for a very good introductory presence when dropping anchor near a local village.

My wife canned some the fish when we had too much. Also marinated some in soy sauce overnight and dried. It was pretty tasty but very very tough to chew. Made beef jerky seem like eating pudding. Might have gotten it too dry. Lasted for a year stored in zip lock freezer bags. Finally threw it away after about a year.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 18:35   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 440

Protip: buy 'The Cruiser's Guide to Fishing' on Amazon.

Excellent crash course to cruising while fishing.
JStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 18:36   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> 60' of parachute cord with a snubber

I doubt that the snubber is adding much to the system.

Para-cord is pretty stetchy in itself - your 60' will probably stretch by a few feet even with a 10lb load. (it's rated at 30% stretch at the 550lbs breaking load)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 19:06   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have 3 Yoyos onboard. Each with different test. The larger test, I have a steel leader. I never hand over hand...just coil it around the ring.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 19:08   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have 3 Yoyos onboard. Each with different test. The larger test, I have a steel leader. I never hand over hand...just coil it around the ring.
Hadn't heard the thing about the fish emitting neurotoxin after it dies though.I'd like to see the study on that one.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing, sail, sailing