Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2021, 09:54   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Finding drinking water in the Mediterranean

Town water is drinkable in most places in Europe, most boaters seem to use it for everything except drinking straight from the tap where they use bottled water, but the water is safe to drink direct.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
Town water is drinkable in most places in Europe, most boaters seem to use it for everything except drinking straight from the tap where they use bottled water, but the water is safe to drink direct.
If you get one of the filter jugs, you can also drink the water out of the tanks. They remove the chlorine taste quite well. If I have space the fridge, I keep it there.

Name:   brita.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  4.8 KB
Since I have one, my consumption of bottled water went down drastically. Quite a few of the cruisers I meet around here also have one.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:41   #18

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Simpler and cheaper are those carbon filters sold for the icemaker watersupply in fridges.
Usually found for 25-30€ a piece.
Which is cheaper than the same units with different fittings sold for marine use...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
If you get one of the filter jugs, you can also drink the water out of the tanks. They remove the chlorine taste quite well. If I have space the fridge, I keep it there.
Attachment 240208
Since I have one, my consumption of bottled water went down drastically. Quite a few of the cruisers I meet around here also have one.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:53   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Water is widely available in Greece , sometime free or reasonably cheaply. I still use bottled for direct drinking water though, but for boiled , washing etc , use the supplied water
Old 12-06-2021, 12:23   #20

Boat: Beneteau 343, 2005

Thanks all. Sounds like what it seems in my current location.. So there's water but it's hit and miss and can need quite a bit of effort. I have about 360 liters of tanks now so luckily I don't have to find water every week but quite often anyways.. Especially if it's hit and miss so need to have a small buffer..

I've been planning to have a water maker so I guess I'll bump that up the list a bit. With 600w of solar I should be able to run it at least.

I guess it's all an adventure, including finding water
Tuxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 14:06   #21

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Filter jugs ?? Why not just fit one of these to your galley cold water tap & change the cartridge each year??
https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/jab...BoCLQEQAvD_BwE
I confess that when in Spain we got used to buying bottled water in 5 litre containers & using that for drinking water. For tea & all else we used the marina water.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 16:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxie View Post
I'm just finishing my boats refit in Greece and will be getting on the water next week. I'll hopefully be moving around quitea bit and this is my first time sailing down here so I was wondering how do people find places to fill their watertanks here? Fuel is nicely marked on Navionics charts but no mention about water anywhere...

I plan on living on anchor pretty much all the time so hoping to avoid staying at marinas.

Most ports have water available, frequently by tanker and at a price.
If you're paying for a berth there's about an 80% chance you'll be able to get water.
I have a charcoal filter on one of my cold-water supplies - very neccessary if you want to have taps to cook or drink from.
Few people drink water out of the tap (on boats or in houses) nearly all round the Med drinking water is bought in bottles.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 16:26   #23

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Water in the Med is definitely hit-or-miss. If you are staying in marinas it will be available, either included or metered. Some fuel docks will let you take on water if they are not too busy, but not all. I fueled in Olbia, Sardinia on a very slow day - no other customers - but the attendant wouldn't let me have water. She explained that the marina next to her had told her (she seemed intimidated) not to give out water as they wanted cruisers to pay for a night at the marina to get water. In Lefkas there were some taps that required two or three hoses to reach, and there was a man selling access for a rather high price. Was he paying for the water, or was it municipal and he was scamming us? Hard to tell. It seems that many public quays have men in street clothes claiming to be from the harbormaster - some but not all are. At least when I was in Greece the national law was that the old inner harbors were free to use on a first-come, first-served basis. Except local authorities often made side deals with the charter companies and I would be turned away from open places on the quay, only to watch later charter boats welcomed in. Which is to say that you will not find consistency and will have to adapt to what you find in each location.

Back to water: yes, get a watermaker and be free of the nonsense if you plan on staying out of marinas. It is immensely freeing. OTOH when there is good water available take it. And I honestly don't understand how anyone can cruise for long without putting a filter on the galley tap. I use standard 10" taste and odor (charcoal) filter elements (cheap) in a slim 10" filter housing, and change them every 6 months (longer and you may get bacteria buildup downstream from the cartridge because the chlorine is removed). For Europe and the U.S. and Canada that is all that is needed; for other places it is best to use a filter that can remove cysts before the fill hose so the tanks don't get contaminated.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 21:31   #24

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxie View Post
I'm just finishing my boats refit in Greece and will be getting on the water next week. I'll hopefully be moving around quitea bit and this is my first time sailing down here so I was wondering how do people find places to fill their watertanks here? Fuel is nicely marked on Navionics charts but no mention about water anywhere...

I plan on living on anchor pretty much all the time so hoping to avoid staying at marinas.
Where there's fuel, there's water.

Suggest however that you use a cartridge filter in-line before filling the tank to keep sediment - or worse, out of your water tank.

Then install an under-sink drinking water filter. Seagull are the best from the reviews, and apparently the only one that is certified to remove pathogens - ours certainly works very well.
Old 21-06-2021, 06:33   #25

Boat: Oyster 49

Not all marina taps in Greece have potable/drinking water. Gouvia and Lefkas are good examples. They have taps for both
If spending more than 2 weeks aboard, a watermaker is great. No worries about needing to dock for water. No lugging plastic bottles. Get one that works off the 12V such as Spectra. No need to run the generator or engine to make water. There are lots of threads on "which watermaker" topic
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 07:24   #26

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudorsailor View Post
Not all marina taps in Greece have potable/drinking water. Gouvia and Lefkas are good examples. They have taps for both
If spending more than 2 weeks aboard, a watermaker is great. No worries about needing to dock for water. No lugging plastic bottles. Get one that works off the 12V such as Spectra. No need to run the generator or engine to make water. There are lots of threads on "which watermaker" topic
Indeed. We’re heading over to Greece later this year and having done the water management shuffle in the islands before, this time we’ve got a water maker. Means we’re not tied to a schedule with visiting marinas and esp in a Covid / lockdown prone year, having the ability to park up off an island and be self sufficient is key.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 07:37   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Where there's fuel, there's water.
Not 100% thru. Very limited gas station allow the use of water for filing tank.

In Croatia must use city port shore (pay local port authority 10$ ) or marina.Gas station rare offer water, must ask

but sometimes is cheaper easier buy 7-12 liter bottle
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 07:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Having just read through the previous posts, it sounds like a good water maker might be a sound investment - it would surely be more convenient than carrying a bunch of hose or lugging water in Gerry cans.
Got that right! Once you decide, there are two concepts: low duty cycle/high output and long duty cycle/low out put. I found 10 gallons per hour a good compromise.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 07:49   #29

Boat: CT47 Ketch

This is not a pretty solution. But one that we came to depend upon sailing along the Mexican coast.
When you fuel up for diesel, or when ever you are out of water, top off your diesel tanks but send a shore party to find the biggest water containers around.
Ask the guy pumping the fuel. I bet he does not drink out the faucet at the diesel pump!
Buy them and carry them to the dock, and get them onto the vessel somehow and fill or store as needed.
I guess if you do not have several in your crew, this could become a bit complicated, but it beats depending upon some marina or dock fixtures which have water storage that is not protected.
I purposefully put shelves in some of my hidden storage areas that have enough room for big water bottles under the shelves, up against the hull. The weigh is below the water line, other items do not get wet if a bottle fractures, and if a bottle fractures, it simply leaks into the bilge where it is evacuated.
dbraymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 08:05   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

In the Western Med my experience is that there is invariably water on the pontoon. Whether it is included in the price for the berth is another matter.

As far as I am concerned the water is fine to drink. With the proviso that I refill plastic bottles from the tap on the pontoon and not from the tanks on the boat.

There are far too many plastic bottles used and abused. If I am going to pay any appreciable sum for liquid then it is for wine!
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drinking water, mediterranean, water