Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 01:34   #46

Boat: Långedrag steel, 1988, 40ft
Re: Finally a Decent Nespresso Substitute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
If you've used one and found the coffee bitter, you packed too much coffee in there or didn't filter your water. More grounds in the cup does not make for a stronger coffee, it just makes it bitter.
Considering that you want high pressure but not too high temperature for your espresso, you can have interesting discussions about the thermodynamics on how to make the perfect coffee with the stove top espresso makers. Especially when you haven engineer or physicist around. It is true that if done wrongly, this can be the worst coffee in the world, but with a bit of experimentation with water amount, heat strength and duration, packing of coffee and some other voodoo this can really be the best way to go. And yes, garbage in, garbage out, so the choice of beans is crucial and in my opinion probably the great advantage over pre packed products since you can go to your local coffee roaster and grind the beans straight into your cup...
phipseml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:18   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

You can have my fully automatic machine when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. My wife and I got one as a wedding present, and I can't imagine going back. They are expensive upfront, but as much coffee as we drink it is actually cheaper than the pods over the long run. At $3-4/day cheaper it doesn't take long to pay for the more expensive machine, then it's all profit.

At this rate I figure we are making about $30/week off of our machine. Which should help the retirement fund

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:37   #48

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Coffee snobs of the World UNITE!
I think we're all here!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 15:44   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

WOw Lassie!

Expensive coffee you buy there. I just bought 2 packages of good quality coffee (tastes the way I want it to). 500 grams - kr. 36 (roughly £3.60) for my french press.

So twice the coffee for almost half the price? Say I get 36 spoonfuls from 500g so £0.10 per cup?
Wow, even .10 a cup is only a third of the cost of Nespresso. This blows my mind. Triple the cost is a huge bargain. But one would need to actually try Nespresso to understand that.

Maybe I should reconsider my impression of the economics..
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 15:47   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Percolator coffee?????????

Oh dear - sorry to each his(her in these politically correct times) own, but perc coffee is an abomination IMHO
Indeed. Standard issue on my father's boat, and a horror. It took me years to introduce the French press on board his boat (fortunately, I didn't need to introduce the Bloody Mary
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 17:42   #51
Marine Service Provider

New press seeks their pods at $.75 per shot of espresso. I did the math and for the beans we use it costs us right at $.12 per shot. Since I start every day with two double shots, the per day difference is $1.25/day for me, and the same for my wife. So we save $2.50/day over using a pod brewer. Our machine right now is available for $600, versus $100 for the Nespresso.

So in 200 days we break even, then every year after that we save $912.50. That's a new spinnaker for the OD boat, or in my case run money.

Old 08-11-2014, 19:07   #52

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Our machine right now is available for $600, versus $100 for the Nespresso.
What kind is that? Christmas is approaching!
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 19:18   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
What kind is that? Christmas is approaching!
We have the Jura C5. It doesn't make the best coffee (though it's ok), but the expresso is awsome. I would highly recommend getting it from Refurbished Jura-Capresso Impressa C5 Automatic Coffee Center from Whole Latte Love their prices aren't always the best on machines, but they double the warranty from the factory, and have great customer service.

We even get out coffee from them, which per kilo works out to a little less than our local grocery store, but with better shipping.

Old 08-11-2014, 19:40   #54
TEE

I would like to shake things up here. Might I suggest you switch over to a HANDPRESSO whch you can find in some specialty stores or on Amazon. This is a hand operated machine that the user pressurizes the water by using the hand pump forcing the water through an ESE pod resulting in a perfect cup of coffee. The paper coffee pods are readily available, a lot more so than nespresso, and from a variety of high end coffee roasters. I have been using mine on boat trips for three years, and it operates flawlessly. Check it out on Amazon or try, Portable espresso machine, car and travel espresso maker - Handpresso

The machine doesn't draw electricity, takes up almost no space, can be cleaned with a shotglass of water and makes an excellent brew.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:21   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDanDan View Post

It's one of my favorite parts of every morning and I'm not tied to any brand. What's not to love?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ahh but you are tied to the coffee you have each morning. Like you say, "fill with beans" well I am sure that means quite a few coffees that are the same.

Nespresso has 23 different coffee blends.

Ok I have got that off my chest. I totally agree with you that in actual fact what you have is far superior than a Nespresso machine. I invested in Nespresso and the capsules thanks to working on a boat that had one. Now I have two, My nan has one and my mum has one She enjoys the "ease" of making a coffee in the morning and likes the decaf ones after noon.

Now I have found a way to bring coffee cost down from 29p-38p right down to Lavazza loving 5.4p per cup.

Taste is subjective my Lavazza Rosso is great tasting and great for the wallet (the former is my opinion, the latter is fact).
Jamesuk is offline   Reply With Quote