Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 07:10   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
favorite pressure cooker

after enjoying food cooked in pressure cookers on other boats, we found how handy a pressure cooker on board is and wondering if there is any ones that are better than others. Or are there some that we need to stay away from?
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:41   #2

Boat: C&C 27
I'm pretty happy with the Mirror mainly because it fits on the Seacook perfectly.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:04   #3

Boat: PDQ 32
We recently went through the search process and decided on a Kuhn-Rikon. They are Swiss made and are often referred to as the Rolls Royce of pressure cookers. They are widely available in better cooking stores and all over the internet. They aren't cheap, but I was able to get a good price on a display unit by shopping around.

We are very pleased with the quality. Although we are new to pressure cooking, it seems to be working just fine. After making perfect brown rice in 20 minutes, we would buy it again just as an on board rice cooker.

I have also heard good things about the Magefesa cookers but have not seen or used one. They are Spanish made.
charlie p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:45   #4
cruiser

I've got one of the "All Americans" aboard. It's a bit large, but works extremely well and needs no maintenance due to a gravity controlled petcock (or whatever that thing is called that regulates the pressure)

All American - Pressure Cooker Outlet
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 13:39   #5

Boat: 48' Hi Star
WMF !!

I recently bought a WMF German made pressure cooker. I absolutely love it. I compared several brands side-by-side at a fancy cookware store and liked this brand the best. It has an extra "helper" handle that makes it easy to pick up. They are not cheap, but I got mine on ebay for less than half price including shipping because there were a couple of scratches on it. I still have trouble seeing the scratches-- and who cares!
I would suggest getting a 6 liter size. Anything smaller might not be big enough since you can't fill them all the way up. You have to leave some room for expansion.
I think that any brand you get will make cooking things like stews and corned beef much simpler and quicker.
happy cooking!
sailorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 14:47   #6

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
I had aboard "way back when" aluminum and stainless Prestos; the alum for baking, the SST for p-cooking. Recently bought a Kuhn-Rikon (2.5L Braiser) and it's very high quality. Check "Miss Vickie's Guide to Modern Pressure Cooking" (Miss Vickie's Pressure Cooker Recipes)
Fair Winds
Old 08-05-2007, 18:02   #7

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Cuisinart, no longer available?

I've used a lot of different pressure cookers over the years and the Cuisinart was the best of the best for a boat. I cannot find one anymore...anyone know where to get one please let me know.

They don't have a removable pressure gage to get lost, they don't have a seal design that can blow out and have to be replaced. They have a mechanism so that you cannot burn yourself with steam when attempting to open the cooker if there is any pressure left inside, etc. etc.