Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 18:22   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I invited a guest to go on a daysail one sunny day while in the SF Bay. He brought Bud Light and drank my Corona. He's never been on my boat since.
Keelhaul.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 18:28   #32

Boat: Silverton 42
Ahhhhhhhh you neophyte imbibers - there is only ONE rum worth drinking (whether for a single drink or a headache-free whole bottle binge): Cruzan Single Barrel Rum. Properly mixed with some Coke and a squeezed lime wedge and your lips will never need a watermaker. Rum Hydration all the way....
Oh - Cheers!
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 18:38   #33

Looks delicious:
Old 11-01-2010, 18:48   #34

Not only delicious but enjoyed by both Captain and Admiral! And when I cruise into the USA - there's no worries as its NOT Cuban (St. Croix V.I.). I was converted about 4 years ago and I should be buying stock with all the recommendations I've made. Best with ice...
Old 11-01-2010, 19:03   #35

My favourite drink is rum with lemonade. About 1/4 lemonade, 3/4 rum. I usually drink Mount Gay Eclipse due to availability and cost. Recently tried Pussers 15year and was very impressed.

A lot of people here drink Bundaberg Rum, but I think it tastes horrible. It has a very rough amateur-distilled quality to it.

I'll certainly keep an eye out for Cruzan.
Old 11-01-2010, 19:13   #36

TrevC,
I'll have to try your lemonade/rum suggestion although your proportions suggest an end more than a means
Cheers,
Bill
Old 11-01-2010, 19:27   #37

Cruisersforum should have an entire sub-forum dedicated to rum

I've developed a scary tolerance to Rum. One time I did actually measure the quantities. My 3 drinks worked out to being over 12 shots of rum. I was a bit embarrassed to tell my wife what it worked out to. This quantity results in a slight rum buzz/relaxation, but not much further. Interestingly enough, 4-5 beers has a much stronger effect.

Luckily there seems to be a family history of high alcohol tolerance (and what must be) strong livers. The high caloric intake is what worries me most. Beer belly.
Old 11-01-2010, 19:53   #38

Were you embarrased because her tolerance was higher than yours? *grin* I don't care about a beer belly cuz I only look at myself with my rum-glasses on. I've found Mount Gay the next closest tasty rum. Appleton's and Bacardi are substitutes for methyl hydrate when winterizing any gas motor.
Old 11-01-2010, 20:00   #39

Luckily for me, she sticks to the Gin

Isn't Appletons supposedly a "higher class" of rum than Mount Gay? A couple of my mates here see Mount Gay as the "cheap" rum, and regard Appletons as top-shelf stuff. I've always thought Mount Gay tasted better, less harsh.
Old 11-01-2010, 20:05   #40

It s amatter of personal taste (mine being the correct one) but I too find Appleton's harsh. Cruzan Single Barrel Rum is very smooth and has a bit of a sweet quality - a great nose and a nice finish. Its almost bourbonesque... Most importantly, we collect the cork (it has a 'cap') and we use that to close off wine bottels that we don't finish. Those rum caps work great.
Old 11-01-2010, 20:12   #41

The strange thing is that I remember Appletons tasting better. Perhaps around 7-8 years ago? Either my tastes changed, or their rum did.

You've sold me on the Cruzan. I can already hear Ali saying "you don't need more rum! you already have 2 bottles!". I usually respond with: "Ok, I'll drink them first!"
Old 11-01-2010, 20:30   #42

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Well, since we have 33 bottles of wine on the boat I would say wine. However, we do have a complete full bar to keep them company-
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 21:16   #43

Rum goes well with dang near anything: coke (diet in my case), 7-up, tonic, coffee, hot tea, orange juice, cranberry juice, neat, cubes, lime juice ... THE single most versatile alcoholic bevg. For me, never the spiced stuff, however.

I learned the greatness of rum early on in my sailing career from a great English chap who was the first to point out to me that the sun was always over the yardarm, somewhere.
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 03:59   #44

I was rather disappointed that the local large bottle-shop didn't have Cruzan. I did get some Cockspur rum, which seems to be about equal in quality to Mount Gay (Eclipse).

I took a look around the good beers too, but they're all between $50-60AUD carton here. Such a rip off. The same amount can buy 2 bottles of rum, or a bottle of something top shelf
Old 14-01-2010, 04:15   #45

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
I drink Pyrat XO Reserve or Barbancourt 15-year-old , straight or with ice -- why put a poisonous adulterant like coke in good rum?
When I'm in a Bourbon mood its Makers Mark also straight or with ice.
But mostly I drink beer. The best is a local brew called Resurrection from Brewers' Art in Baltimore -- very hard to get hold of but we have an in. When I can't get that one of the Sam Adams brews which are more readily available.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote