Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 04:04   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
And a Foster's kangaroo piss would be preferred by myself as well.
It is kind of sad as beer used to have some flavor and taste but the mass marketed stuff in the US is, well, worse then kangaroo piss.
JMHO.
Are you comparing it to warm or cold kangaroo piss?

If it's on the boat any beverage is good and becomes just a mood thing. But overall it's hard to beat a cold beer. I tend to had the lighter type beers on the boat aimed more at refreshment than complex taste.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:21   #17

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Budweiser is still American btw (contrary to someone's opinion above), although there's a "more beer-like" (no rice??) Czech brew on the US market now..

I tend to enjoy the local lager..
Old 07-01-2010, 04:35   #18

Fosters is BUL (brewed under license). So, Fosters in the US is very much American beer. The American version is also less offensive than the Aussie one. Either way, they're all corporate mega-swill
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:40   #19

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
If I realy must partake, then alcohol is my tipple, in a mirriad of flavours and subtle blends for 'Alcohol opens the soul and blinds the truth.'
Old 07-01-2010, 04:56   #20

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Well being an alcoholic, (damn it) and since I have already drank my share for this lifetime, and since it is hard to find a non sweet drink, I tend to drink straight tonic water, when a double is called for I add an extra slice of lime.

I only miss it (booze) when I cut into a medium rare 1"+ ribeye and find no pino noir in a stemed glass, then it is missed. There are too many things I do not miss to go back to drinking. Yeah, I have pulled some stunts, but since I put it aside, no one has told me of my previous nights stunts done while sober.

I will admit, however, I wish I could drink like you normal folks. "A man has to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry"
Old 07-01-2010, 07:06   #21

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Rum, both regular and spiced. A nice port after a good dinner.

No matter how hard I try, I have a difficult time finding a good, U.S. beer. Guinness or Grolsch, I guess.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:12   #22
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
a huge mug of hot chocolate .. i'm taking a break from the stuff after a long christmas celebration.
Old 07-01-2010, 13:07   #23

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
Nice replies! My preference, when I'm not in the mood for a Gin and Vermouth (with lemon) Martini, is either one of the Samuel Adams dark beers, or a Newcastle. I do have to admit, though, that a Tecate with a squeeze of lime around the rim makes for a great cooler-offer on a hot day. The wife loves hot buttered Rum on colder nights, and I tend to agree with her on that.
tomperanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 13:14   #24
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
there is a nice box of some red open at all times. Neither myself or Himself tend towards the whiter vines. On warm afternoons we like it in a semi sangria, with OJ (those handy small bottles from Costco) and a slice of whatever citrus we have aboard, most often lime. Also used for cooking.

Himself has Scotch (Currently Sheep Dip, usually Bowmore) and Vodka (Absolut usually) which get drunk up, not over, sometimes with a splash, always with a water back.

I have dark rum (Bacardi usually) and daiquiri makings on hand at all times.

A bottle of nice (Fickland's usually) port that gets used in cooking and that I like to sip in the evening.

So 4 bottles and a box.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 13:29   #25

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Being from the US and generally to broke to pay attention... I drink Busch heavy. If I had money... I'd drink Busch heavy. I'm a little bit of a hillbilly.

I know how to make liquor. I haven't done it in several years, though. I guess selling nontaxable homemade moonshine could be a good way to supplement my income, it could also be a good way to blackout and wake up in an upside-down boat.
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 14:53   #26
CLOD

Boat: none
"himself" - Sara I always get the biggest kick out that. Haven't hear much about "himself" lately has he been bad? Can not be "himself's" drinking as sounds like he has that covered!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 16:31   #27
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
"himself" - Sara I always get the biggest kick out that. Haven't hear much about "himself" lately has he been bad? Can not be "himself's" drinking as sounds like he has that covered!
Heh. He's a man, of course he's bad.... When he is REALLY bad he has to sleep at the boat.

Alone ; -)

Actually his drinkin is heavier than mine, a generational thang I think. And he certainly has that covered! He's like bloody James Bond when he orders a drink... 'do it like this, with that and some of the other and two olives and two onions..". like that nasty stuff is going to taste ANY different no matter what you do to it ; -)

And he smokes, another generational thang. But bless his little heart he just got one of those nicotine vapour cigarette smokeless machines and is NOT smokin in the boat anymore

So I am not making him sleep alone this week. Besides, he was gone for five days to Vegas and I get to missing my curmudgeon!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 17:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
No matter how hard I try, I have a difficult time finding a good, U.S. beer. Guinness or Grolsch, I guess.
You're not looking hard enough! There's a huge selection of wonderful American beers (mostly from the smaller to mid-sized breweries).
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 17:34   #29

Boat: a sailing boat
Dark Rum in the West Indies,
Port & Jerez on this shore,
Pacific has nothing unless you import it (OK, bushbeer is da ;-)))),
Indian O. - Rum again (white from Mauritius, my fave)
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 17:49   #30

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
I invited a guest to go on a daysail one sunny day while in the SF Bay. He brought Bud Light and drank my Corona. He's never been on my boat since.

15 year old single malt is now my choice.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote