Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 21:11   #121

Boat: 16' Catalina
I love coffee...

and I love you folks, but I mostly love coffee. I am going to buy one of those Italian thingy's though...
Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 21:42   #122
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
We bought our Bialetti at Amazon.com: Amazon.com: Bialetti Moka Express 6-Cup Stovetop Percolator: Home & Garden for $27.-
The 6-cup is good, they mean espresso-cups so that equals two small coffee mugs.

Ah, yes now I found that recirculating percolator thing. But that's an 1850 design coffeemaker for the army... I had no idea these were still used or even in peoples minds. OMG I get the shivers when I see it, yes, that coffee must be very bad indeed. See Coffee percolator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So indeed, give the Bialetti a try if you never did before (I guess all EU cruisers are familiar with it already and now it starts making sense: all these bewildered looks from US cruisers when I tell them how good the Bialetti perculator is!!)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 06:02   #123

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
My afternoon cuppa(a quart mug) is always tea, Red Rose(when I can find it)or Hayho Flowerdale if I could lay my hands on some. Both orange pekoe blends I grew up on in Canada. Milk AND sugar thank you.

Taxes, I think, had bugger all to do with that tea in the harbour row the Americans had all those years ago. They were just sick of that god awful muck that Tetley calls tea and sells to you in those ridiculous single envelopes with the string on them for plonking in luke warm water. It's black tea to boot. Yuck.
Orange Pekoe is black tea.
Personally, I prefer a tea with a bit more character - a full-bodied black tea such as English Breakfast or Irish Breakfast in the morning; for an afternoon cuppa it's Earl Grey.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 06:20   #124

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Back on topic - I like to treat coffee like wine or beer, I enjoy experiencing different blends and roasts. Sure Kona and Blue Mountain are great, but I wouldn't want to drink them every day; variety is the spice of life after all. As for method, they all have their merits - I like my stainless french press/thermal carafe, as it keeps the coffee hot and is robust enough for use on board.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 09:04   #125

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Of course Orange Pekoe is a black tea but its the small leaves and buds that make it so smooth. The muck sold as tea here(US) is most often the larger bottom leaves and is "black" in colour when brewed and is very bitter. Combined with the dunking in luke warm water it makes a pretty poor cup of tea no matter what. My taste has been ruined by years of Red Rose and Flowerdale to the point I find Earl Grey tastes like perfume but then we're all different. As for "sun tea" thats kind of like calling Bud Light beer...........m
Old 29-08-2009, 10:28   #126

Boat: Schock 35
As to Nescafe--Different strokes for different folks. Drink whatever you like and it's all right with me. We use the french press on our boat when we need 4 or more cups, but when we need only two cups of espresso we use a small espresso maker powered by the inverter. Foamed milk----ahhhhhh.

Here in the land of Starbucks there are many good brands of coffee. We favor the medium roast espresso blends. In Central America the Panamanian coffee is outstanding.

I would avoid aluminum pots as some alloys contain copper which is not good for you. REI for example has stopped selling any aluminum cookware.
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 15:10   #127

Come On Around to My Side of the Table…

Quote:
s/v Jedi, he say:

Starbuck,

You are misinformed about percolators…
Well, one of us was, anyway. My post remains both accurate and pertinent.

Yeah, Jedi, ghastly things, aren't they?

BTW, I can't find the word "percolator" on the Bialetti site. Just out of sheer curiosity, where did you learn the stovetop espresso-maker carried this name? I've never heard it referred to this way, but I'm just an American.
Old 29-08-2009, 16:24   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Politically Correct Tea...

I like the Sri Lankan teas.

They look to have been hand picked and blended, and I have not found any that taste better. At the moment I am drinking "Jones Tea" (A.F.Jones of London Estd. 1912). Available from my local supermarket.

The ones with with the Ceylon Lion Tea Logo are grown and packed in Sri Lanka.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 16:33   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Well, one of us was, anyway. My post remains both accurate and pertinent.
Yeah, Jedi, ghastly things, aren't they?
BTW, I can't find the word "percolator" on the Bialetti site. Just out of sheer curiosity, where did you learn the stovetop espresso-maker carried this name? I've never heard it referred to this way, but I'm just an American.
A "Norte American" I'd say because in South America, the Bialetti type (knock off's) are very common.

Your post was correct, as was mine. The seems to be an ongoing debate about what is a percolator or not and this mostly depends on which side of the globe one was born and raised.

See Alfonso Bialetti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for the explanation that it is indeed a percolator, and "your" percolator also mentions this under "naming convention" here: Coffee percolator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember my first visit to the USA, it was back in '89 and in NYC. I was utterly shocked about how bad the coffee tasted and about glasses filled to the rim with ice before pouring French Cognac in. I woke me up in the middle of the night for a long time ;-) But now, I start to understand where it comes from, well, the bad coffee part anyway ;-) But for NYC... I would have guessed the Dutch heritage would have been a bit more preserved on the coffee-level, but alas... may be the coffee was as bad in Holland in the 1600's ;-)

About great coffee countries; the Dominican Republic, Cuba, Colombia and Panama are hard to beat. Just the main brand coffee in those countries is great and after a couple of days of drinking it, it's even better than the big Dutch brands like Douwe Egberts (Douwe Egberts - Portal Home)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 29-08-2009, 16:43   #130

Cruisers Forum Supporter

About tea: you are all talking mostly about brands, not the actual tea. I used to have this customer who is one of the worlds leading experts on tea (a tea-trader) and he explained to me that there is only one great tea that can be called the best: "Darjeeling 1st pick". He always gave me some but the best I ever found in the shops was 2nd pick.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 29-08-2009, 18:12   #131

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Favorite coffee, Black Jamaicain Roast by Brossard in Montreal.

You would think you could get good beans in Columbia, NO NO NO, not anymore after buying every brand we gave up. You used to until they figured out how to grow coffee beans, bioengineered, to grow in low countries (lets not mention Starbucks et al, sort of like the tomato, carrots, strawberries and corn).

So whenever we visit family in Montreal we stock up. Even after one whole year of storage on the boat it blows away any local Caribbean brand. We even have to bring some for our friends.

Preparation; grind beans, French press and then pass it through a unbleached filter into a Thermos carafe.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 18:38   #132

Nick, I figured it was geographical in nature.
Old 29-08-2009, 19:07   #133

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
These Bialetti units are available in some major chains in the USA - see:
Bialetti
You can also buy them direct from their operation in N.C. - click on "shop" at their website.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 21:24   #134

Get this one straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Spohn View Post
I would avoid aluminum pots as some alloys contain copper which is not good for you. REI for example has stopped selling any aluminum cookware.
Aluminium pots also contain aluminium, which is extraordinarily bad for you, especially when using fluoridated water. The two synergise to harm you.

Luckily both can be removed in various ways.

I'm French pressing coffee in cool water, overnight or after 24 hrs. Interesting experiment. Thanks for the inspiration to better coffees & teas.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 22:18   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Yes, Aluminum is dangerous if you begin wearing it on your head. Maybe you could make your aluminum hat so it has gutters and add the fluoridated water that way.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote