Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 11:39   #1

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
farmers markets??

This is posed to those who do the loop. Are there any farmers markets along the way?? Fresh fruits and veggies that I could buy in bulk to can or freeze?
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:05   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: farmers markets??

Yes. I can't speak for every inch of the Great Loop but when you cross New York State you will be traveling right through farm country and I bet almost every town will have markets and farm stands. NJ coast is pretty farm from farms for the most part, and not so many places to stop. Chesapeake it is up and down depending on where you are. On the ICW from Norfolk to Miami you are pretty far from most farming most of the time, but in some areas you might find farmstands. We used to buy oranges right from the farm at Jones Fruit Dock on the Indian River, but that is no longer though I think there is a movement to revive the fruit dock. However, there still are orange groves there so ask around. Florida, particularly north of St. Lucie, should be good for farm stands. If you do the Okeechobee Waterway across the middle of Florida again you are going right through farm country. I know that many of the smaller towns, like Pentwater, along the Michigan shore used to have farm stands near the water.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:15   #3

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
I know in michigan there are several fews blocks from lake michigan. We are land based south of Pentwater. We delivered a vessel last year from St Joe to the Mississippi river. It was off season but we found where 2 were. Just hope that they are not so few n far between.
Thanks for the input will hve to mark those spotsthat do so we will know for future use.
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:26   #4

Flagler Beach, Florida has a good one on Fridays and Saturdays, the Friday one has the best selection of produce. On Saturday a lot of the retailers head off to Daytona I am told.
Great strawberries yesterday that are now safely preserved on our boat!
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 17:25   #5

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I go to the farmers market every Sat in Louisiana, Mo. It's at the 282 mm on the upper Mississippi, should start mid April. I would think a lot of the towns near marinas would have them along the river, getting to them may be a problem and being there on the right day. Good Luck
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 17:35   #6

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Fernandina Beach in Fl has a wonderful farmers market on Saturdays.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 13:50   #7

I have a farmers market here in my town and it is great! It has the freshest fruit, absolutely delicious!
mandamcakes is offline   Reply With Quote