Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 12:31   #1

Boat: S2 9.2C 30ft
Emergency Rations

I found this online today and thought I would pass it along. This might be good for emergency rations for when you are on those long hauls.

1Sale: Online Coupon Codes, Daily Deals, Black Friday Deals, Coupons, Promo Codes, Discounts | Chef’s Banquet ARK 330 Emergency Food Supply Kit!

Enjoy
cookingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 13:30   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Emergency Rations

My emergency rations are a few bags of pasta (I don't eat it any more) and some French offal in a tin I mistook for beef.

It doesn't need to be expensive stuff. Just things you haven't eaten

I have about 30 day supply of hard tack provisions.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:06   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I had a bunch of MREs (Meals Rejected by Ethiopians) left over from my days in the service. They were sealed in impenetrable, welded shut, thick plastic bags that are everything-proof. They can be eaten hot or cold, but hot is better. Some meals require hydration, but everything needed is in the bag. They are designed for an 18 year old kid in the infantry toting a 60 lb rucksack, so the calorie count is high--around 3000. Mine are still somewhere in the boat, probably the bilge, but they'll keep. They would keep forever in a life raft.

Guess you can buy them in a military surplus store. There is a much better variety of meals than there used to be, and they come with chemicals that are mixed to provide a heating source when required.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:43   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

What do you think you need a 30-day supply of dehydrated food for? If you end up in a liferaft water is much more important than any food and the likelihood of spending many days or weeks in a liferaft is pretty small.
We always have enough staples onboard to last a considerable time if were in area that had disaster while we were there.
Old 22-02-2016, 14:47   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

I'm not sure this qualifies as "emergency rations" but any supermarket will have microwavable meals that don't need refrigeration for about $2.50 each. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes, chicken and dumplings, pasta and meat sauce, etc. Most are pretty decent. A few are not.

They are single serving so we'll cook one for each of us and split a can of vegetables.

Normally we try to have fresh food or restaurant food or leftovers but when we can't, we uncover the seat and pick whatever we feel like.

Tags
emergency, enc