Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 18:10   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Fry it, then cover with sliced onions, spices, then put deep in hot light vinegar. Let cool. Wait a day. Take it out of the vinegar and give it a try. Weird but delicious.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 18:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post

If I saw that coming to a plate near me, it would be soon back with its family!!!
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 19:40   #33

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
What fish is that in Surveyors picture, any one know?
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:48   #34

Also looks like Thai cooking : The Banana leaf, the NamPla sauce, the calamansi limes - the cuts made in the fish before grilling, the onion slices.
But the Fish ?? The teeth ???
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 15:09   #35

Boat: Bristol 38.8
It looks like a plain old large mouth bass (fresh water fish).
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 15:48   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It looks like a plain old large mouth bass (fresh water fish).
A large mouth bass with pointy teeth?

See a LMB below ➘
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LargeMouthBass.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	17571  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 16:52   #37

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Largemouth bass have teeth more like sandpaper or a rasp.

by Barnakeil
"Fry it, then cover with sliced onions, spices, then put deep in hot light vinegar. Let cool. Wait a day. Take it out of the vinegar and give it a try. Weird but delicious."

AKA escabeche in Spanish or escovich in Jamaica and other English speaking Caribbean areas, and he is right, delicious by any name!
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 16:58   #38

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I read an article about this some time ago and the take home message was that eating fishy tasting stuff is something that you get used to over time - That is, the more often you eat fish, the less fishy tasting it will be to you. The recommendation was to eat a couple of bites every day and after a while the fishy taste wont be nearly as strong to you as it used to be. This is why, eg. Scandinavians eat such fishy tasting stuff - they get fish all the time and so are used to it - it doesnt taste as strong to them
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 10:13   #39

I like to eat just about any kind of fish, but eating fish too often can become boring. The good thing is that fish can be seasoned and cooked in so many ways and most fish will take the flavors of seasoning very well. My advice is to use seasonings you know you like. Then try different cooking methods. Fish cooked on a grill, sauteed in a pan or deep fried taste significantly different. Add to that stewing, soups and casseroles and your options are greatly increased. Fresh citrus, of almost any kind, squeezed over fish makes a great marinade and relieves a lot of the bold fishy taste. For me, the love of cooking make the challenge of creating new fish recipes fun. I hope you can find ways to enjoy the many wonderful species of fish available, but at the same time respect the resource and never harvest a fish you are not willing to eat.
flatspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 11:04   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
one NEVER overcomes the excessively fishy taste some fish have--i choose not to eat bait fish, as they are excessively fishie---the fish that arent bait fish usually donot have fishie flavor --nor do FRESH fish. OLD fish stink and taste fishy. same rule holds true for shellfish--if they smell excessively fishy--they arent fresh.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 11:26   #41

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
However I am not a big fish eater.
Are there ways of cooking/flavouring fish that could help me eat more fish seeing it is so plentiful on our boat.
I've never understood how someone can say they don't like "seafood" or just don't like "fish". There are so many different types that it is inconceivable that a person could dislike every one. What is it about fish that you don't like? And is there any you've tried that you like or at least dislike less than the rest? That might make it easier to suggest what you might like.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 12:14   #42

zeehag, I would recommend never consuming any meat, fish or poultry when the smell becomes a "stink". LOL. I don't necessarily eat "baitfish", but then again I am not sure what you are referring to. Sardines are an excellent baitfish and when prepared properly can make a very nice meal without a lot of preparation. Certainly some fish have a stronger "fishy" taste, but again, proper preparation can eliminate a lot of it. Most of these fish have a dark "bloodline" in the flesh (usually nearest the spine) that is much darker and redder than the rest of the flesh. By removing this you will remove a good deal of the stronger "fishy" taste. As for freshness, I only eat fish that I catch that day or if I buy it, I use it that day. When buying fish from a market, smell it, it should have no offensive odor and the eyes should be relatively clear. Fish is such a versatile protein and has so many options for preparation that I too find it difficult to understand how people can say they don't like it. I think we have all had a bad experience with some kind of food in our lifetime, but that should never exclude it from our diet (other than allergies of course). Just be creative, experiment with ingredients you like when you prepare the fish and you may find that it is better than you thought. I think the biggest problem keeping people from fish is the issue of bones. But again, a little knowledge of proper fish cleaning and filleting will virtually eliminate all bones in many species and cooking technique can make the removal of other bones before consumption a breeze. So, don't be afraid to give fish another chance. note: Fish should only be consumed in 3 or 4 meals a week due to potential hazards of mercury and other chemicals.
flatspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 18:34   #43

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
... i find that grilling or pan searing removes a lot of the fishy taste....
Why do you guys want to have the fish without the fishy taste???

Sort of like making an orange taste like an apple. Not a rude remark but I just do not understand why.

BTW Some fish do not taste fish at all.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 07:09   #44
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Get a stove-top smoker. Also realize that some parts of some fish are less fishy that others. Clean them immediately. I like to marinate bloody, meaty fish such as tuna or mackerel in lots of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, etc. for a meaty taste. Janet Groene, Janet Groene's BoatCook
JanetGroene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish