Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 08:34   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 33T La Vita
Hi All,

Thomas: your grandfather has quite an interesting process for making coffee. It has great promise. I'm gonna keep it in mind. Thanks for passing the information along.

Jim: I like the pump pop, too. We simply don't have the room that you do, so I think it's back old fashion thermos.

I was given this URL: http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.shtml link. Near the bottom of the page there is a link to ABS Plastic Thermos Filter cone holder. It works with a most thermos and uses #4 and #6 size paper filters. This has turned out to be the cheapest ($10) and most versible solution.

s/v La Vita
1987 Hans Christian 33t
:cubalibre
Spread a little sunshine--Jack Lemmon
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 18:09   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Galaxy:

Are you Haha-ing this year. I just got lat 38 and didn't see you mentioned but then I wan't sure if you were doing it this year or next. Just to bring it back to the correct thread. Could it be that you can't find the perfect cup of coffee so you can't sign up? Kidding!!!

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 19:36   #18

Hi Charlie,

COFFEE
I'm gonna try Chris Harris's idea of using a large plastic funnel when I make coffee Wed morning. I'll report my results to all.

OFF TOPIC
We decided not to join the Baja Ha Ha. We'd really like to experience the local culture without a bunch of wild Americans. Departure date to from California still a bit fuzzy. We'll go to Ensenada mid September or a few weeks later (before the Baja Ha Ha). Sometime in November we expect to head for La Paz and Sea of Cortez (after the Baja Ha Ha).

By now, you must be the proud owner of Cortorra, right? You must be grinning from ear to ear. I'm so happy for you.

Where have you posted your updates? I'd like to know how things are going for you.

Our Wind Vane is about 1/2 way installed. The electronics are within a few days of being installed. Replaced steering cable should be installed Wednesday. So much to do and so little time!

s/v La Vita
1987 Hans Christian 33t
Old 05-09-2006, 21:43   #19
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Lynn - not to mention that if you leave with the Bahahaha - you will have a problem with your boat insurance. (See elsewhere in this forum for THAT discussion). Bahaha leaves SD Oct. 30th ... Insurance for South of Ensenada won't kick in until December (exact date varies).
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 14:13   #20

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Lynn:

Haven't posted that much on her. Been studying up on it alot. We are the proud owners of Ohana "Ex-Cotorra" Haven't had a chance to sail it yet. Paper work was a nightmare but finally managed to get it all done. I'm going up on 9/20 to get the boat and bring her out of Canada. I'm in the middle of painting my house that I'm building and have a time line so I need to get back to it.

I can understand your reasoning for not doing Baja Ha Ha. In studying Charlie's Charts there are alot of interesting spots in between Ha Ha stops. I'm debating it myself but with the kids I think that I'll end up doing it b/c of the social aspects.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:40   #21

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Wink

Jeff, Funny reply.

Quote:
Here are some things Lynn is not asking about:
  • French presses
  • Electric drip coffeemakers
  • Rube Goldberg home-made gizmos
The thing is, like most posts on a forum, people other then the original poster tend to read threads dealing with life and death issues like coffee.

I have a couple of french presses, when I bought the first one (used, garage sale) I thought I knew how to use it. These are the directions off of the Bodium web site;

Quote:
Directions for use of Bodum French Press Coffee Makers

Step One Place pot on a dry, flat, non-slip surface. Hold handle firmly and pull plunger unit straight up and out of the pot.

Step Two For each 4 oz. cup, put in 1 rounded tablespoon of coarse ground coffee into the pot.

Step Three Pour hot (not boiling) water into the pot. Leave at least 1 inch of space at the top. Stir with plastic spoon or chop sticks.Step FourPlace plunger unit on top of the pot. Turn lid to close off spout opening. Do not press down yet, let coffee brew for 4 minutes.

Step Five Hold the pot handle firmly with the spout turned away from you, then using just the weight of your hand, apply slight pressure on the top of the knob to lower the plunger straight down into the pot. Lowering the plunger slowly produces the best results. Use of excessive force can cause scalding liquid to shoot out from the pot.

Step Six Turn the lid to open the pour spout, then pour the coffee.

Step Seven Unscrew the filter assembly and clean the plunger unit after each use, all parts are dishwasher safe.
This is how I use them now, and the coffee is much better (step 2 and 4 are important)

FWIW
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:50   #22

I use espresso or Turkish ground coffee and use individual plastic coffee filer holders with #2 size paper filters. You can do several cups in one filter by adding more grounds. No clean up. No coffee pots to keep warm. or re warm.. or old coffee. Clean up only your cup! No pots to store!

You can get fine gold filters if you want to avoid with the throw away paper ones.

In a pinch you can use paper towels folded for a filter in a pinch.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 14:14   #23

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
So what do you do that is different from the instructions from Bodum?
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 16:38   #24

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
IMHO, FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriet
So what do you do that is different from the instructions from Bodum?
I used too much coffee, and did not let it 'steep' long enough (they recommend 4 minutes).

I like it much better with less, and waiting to press it out.....
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 18:18   #25

Sequiter/Non-sequiter

That's odd, I wasn't trying to be funny.

Of course a thread will drift, and I'm just as guilty as the next poster; but when the poor person gets four or five initial repsonses that don't even address her question, I begin to wonder about people's reading comprehension.

Q: "How are you feeling today, Bob?"
A: "Velcro works like magic!"

We all want to put in our two cents, but maybe checking to see that it's the right currency first would actually be, um, helpful.

Maybe the joke's on me, and I'm not getting it…

Okay, now I'm trying to be funny.
Old 22-09-2006, 07:40   #26

Thank you everyone for sharing your coffee making wisdom and passion. I saved several comments for future reference. As we travel, many of the ideas will allow us to have coffee around the world if my current solution is possible.

I ended up with drip coffee in a pump thermos. I choose this because I got tired of looking, experiementing, and I like drip coffee.

I bought a ABS Plastic Thermos Filter cone holder and #6 size paper filters.
Here is the URL: http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.shtml link. Near the bottom of the page there is a link to ABS Plastic Thermos Filter cone holder. It works with a most thermos and uses #4 and #6 size paper filters.

I bought the pump thermos at a local store for about $20.

Here's my process:
1. Heat the water in a stainless steel tea pot.
2. Grind the coffee beans while the water is heating.
3. Put the paper filter in the cone and add the ground coffee.
4. Pour 1/4 to 1/3 of the boiling water in the pump thermos to heat it.
5. Pour the rest of the water through the grounds sitting in the cone.

Pro:
I like the taste of the coffee. Easy and fast enough to satisfy me. Coffee stays hot with fresh tast for hours. Will work with #4 and #6 paper filters.

Con:
I could not find the #6 size cone paper filter in the local stores so I had to order them online. This made them expensive. I don't know how difficult it will be to find these filters in Mexico and other ports.

OFF TOPIC:
(Feel free to skip this section)

Hi Charlie,
Congratulations on being the captain of Ohana "Ex-Cotorra!" That's absolutly fantastic!

By now, you have sailed her out of Canada. How did it go? Has Mom and the kids been sailing with you?

If you have a update under a different forum, please tell me and I'll read your comments there.

BTW: Did you make coffee while on board?? :=)

Our timeline is pushing us, too.

s/v La Vita
1987 Hans Christian 33t