Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 19:27   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Drinks and nibbles

Hi everyone, I am just new to this posting thing, so here goes some questions?:

Does anyone out there have some interesting receipes or suggestions for when we have light refreshments other than the normal cheese and crackers.

Dawn (alias Mrs Wheels)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 21:22   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Beer

I usually start with a beer, and if it is good I may ( quite likely ) have another, however I only do this when I am alone or with friends. It helps if the friends are like minded, and they also have a boat with cooking facilities, and an Admiral that knows how to use them. After a few beers anything tastes okay with me but I do draw the line with corn. Apparently we lose taste buds as we age, which is the only explanation I have for actually eating brocoli and cauliflower. In the past I have shared my favourite recipe. Dry bread, spam, and tomatoe sandwiches, with mayonase that has been around long enough to absorb diesel fumes, comming up through the cooler drain hose after the collection bottle fell off. For wine glasses I use the unbreakable plastic kind but even they break if they are in the sink when the fire extinguisher falls on them. I have relocated the fire extinguisher. I used to buy imported wine by Saint Michelle, but then I found out it was made in Surrey BC. The name sounded important, sorry imported to me. I do refuse to drink cheap beer which includes all US and Canadian massed produced beers, unless it is free. After a while the discerning taste can tell the difference between US and Canadian beer. If you drink four times as much as you usually do, and you can still ride your motorcycle, it must be American beer. HTH
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 21:24   #3
Kai Nui

In the cruising cuisie section is a recipe for a clam roll in cream cheese. We are hooked. It is simple, and quick, and seems to be a hit everytime we make it. It is technically cheese and crackers, but the cadillac version
Old 02-02-2006, 21:30   #4

Hey Scott, (Kai).

You could serve that, the next time I come over?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 21:34   #5
Kai Nui

Gotta come over when Sundari has some time off so we can hang out. Plus, I do not cook. At least, not until I get really hungry, and as you know that does not happen very often
Old 02-02-2006, 21:35   #6

Alrighty then!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-02-2006, 22:22   #7
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Hey Dawn, get together with Sue (she works at St Clair Cellar Door). She has lots of great ideas and I think she could do with a distraction from work at the moment. Stand outside & look towards Omaka, you might see her, we can see your place from home.
Yay, three or so more weeks then freedom for us both.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 22:27   #8
cruiser

Cap'n K & Kai Nui sipping cocktails & enjoying hors d'oeuvres.
Gotta be there for that.
Photos or it didn't happen
Old 02-02-2006, 22:29   #9

Well pwederell.

You and you're wife. Also Wheels and his wife too could come on over. I'm sure Kai doesn't mind?

Old 02-02-2006, 22:42   #10
Kai Nui

Bring food and my door is always open
Wheels is already heating the coffee, but It's gonna be pretty strong by the time I get over there.
I have to say, I am fine with the party being in NZ. Wheels should work for the office of tourism over there. He has sold me on the place.
Old 02-02-2006, 22:50   #11

Yeah. Anywhere near NZ and OZ.

Interesting countries, the both of them. And great touring around the outback. The tropical rainforest of Queensland. Hiking the mountian ranges in NZ.

It could be a party man!! And after all of that exploring and hiking, and sailing. I'd be down for a party get together!!

Old 02-02-2006, 23:12   #12
Kai Nui

Pwederell, if you are headed this way, the door is open. Happy to throw some steaks on, and might even find a bottle with one of those cork thingys
Michael, you are welcome too, and it is a good thing that you have taken a likeing to broccoli because that is what we usually have with our steaks
Dawn, since we have gone so far off track here, I guess I should throw in an idea. Little smokies heated up in a crock pot are always a hit. Not sure if they have them over there, but they are little sausages. Can't eat just one
Old 02-02-2006, 23:19   #13

Nachos!!

What that is Dawn is this.

Corn chips & melted cheese.

They are one of the good party favor snacks, here in the USA.

Old 03-02-2006, 00:41   #14
cruiser

Wow Dawn, we have certainly hijacked this thread haven't we!! Sue & I are looking forward to getting together with you both next month & we'll do a lot of recipe sharing & eating then.
Let's see, current plan for US (sometime in '08 or '09 is Alaska first so g'day Mike then down the coast so Party at Kai Nui's then a trip inland to bludge off Cap'n K's hospitality. I was in Havasu a couple of years ago at spring break. Crazy crazy time. It was 118 deg F the day I left to come back to frosty NZ.
Old 03-02-2006, 13:54   #15

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
wine ideas

Just read in the paper the other day, they're selling wine in cartons (tetra-paks) and cans now. Apparently it's not the lowest grade plonk, but middle of the road quality. http://www.ottawasun.com/Lifestyle/F...20601-sun.html
I figure I have a chance making such a daring suggestion without being eviscerated by the forum, since Kiwis seem to be leading the charge to skewer that old sacred cow - the cork, and replace it with the much more effective screw-top. Certainly cartons are more boat-friendly than bottles, don't you think?

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote