Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 17:46   #16
Kai Nui

I have no problem with screw tops, but I just can't get into wine in a box. I guess I just haven't found my flavor yet
Pwederell, Alaska in 08/09? We might just see you there. If anything goes right, That is on the agenda, and that almost fits the timeline. Two ambitions in life, One to sail Cape Horn, Two, to sail to nome. I have been informed that I will be sailing Cape Horn alone, but she still has not ruled out Nome, so I guess we are going north. And, if the dollars don't make cents, we will still be on the central coast providing the best in cruising hospitality
Which reminds me, Little pigs in a blanket are another of my favorite appetizers. Easy to store, and quick to fix. Not too greasy for sailing guests, and easy to eat underway. We like finger food
A bit more work, but in this area, artichokes make a great hors d' hourve. Prep em, Boil em, and put em out for finger food.
(Doing the best I can Dawn. Coming from the beans and crackers guy)
Old 03-02-2006, 20:17   #17

Hell Kai.

I'll go with ya to Cape Horn!!

I'm with ya man!!

Seriously!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 21:40   #18
Kai Nui

Nothin personal K, but it just wouldn't be the same
Old 03-02-2006, 21:51   #19

Alrighty then !!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-02-2006, 00:38   #20
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Hey Dawn,
I guess you have loads of mussel recipes but a couple of real simple ones are:-
1/Half shell, sprinkle of fresh parmesan & garlic, teaspoon of sauvignon blanc and warm on the BBQ until the cheese is melted. We used to do this at the Rai Valley A&P Show (the cultural highlight of the year ) Went down a treat & is a distinctly Marlborough experience.
2/Half shell with 50/50 horseradish & sweet chilly sauce warmed on the BBQ. Be careful not to overwhelm the taste of the mussel though.
3/If simply steaming the mussels open and serving au naturale, try giving the shells a really good clean, de-bearding as much as possible then steaming open with white wine. Only works when no other flavours used as it is very subtle. Steam them slowly.
Wow, back on topic. Not like me.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:48   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
"Wine in a Box" has been around for decades.
I’ve always removed the metalized plastic bag from the box*, and stored the flexible container in odd-shaped spaces. Because the bag is airtight, and contracts as the wine is poured, the wine will last in perfect condition for a surprisingly long time.
* Never bring cardboard aboard, especially in the tropics.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:19   #22
cruiser

I would have a great deal of trouble getting the wine-in-a-box past the admiral (in fact she has already said no way). I do defer to her superior knowledge on the subject though, she does wine matching for recipes and doesn't tell me how to fix the engine.
I might be able to sneak a couple of casks onboard under the guise of cooking wine though.
Trivia:- The wine industry being inherently snobbish, couldn't countenance the term "screw cap" for their wine so they call them "Stelvin Closures"
Old 06-02-2006, 20:30   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Kai Nui,

Being a Kiwi can you please explain more on what actually are Little Pigs in a blanket, and;
You refer to Little Smokies, I think us Kiwi's call them Cherrios, they are a small red type cooked suasage.

To Everyone:

As to wine, there is no cask wine on board Leisure Lady. I love the screw top bottles, and will continue to have Marlborough wines on board Leisure Lady.

I have heard here in NZ that wine was going to come out in cans. Will see what type of wine they actually bring out and may possible try a can.

We came back from a weekend out, and the nibbles I served was crackers, pate, Brie Cheese, cream cheese, and grapes. Can anyone suggest anything extra here.

Regards

Mrs Wheels Dawn

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 21:46   #24

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Kwiseen

Kinda like a sausage roll only longer, like a weener is pastry.
Do they have hot dogs in NZ, I can't remember. Anyway they have weeners here, same shape as a sausage but thinner. You warm / boil the weener and put it in a long bun.
Filled roll ( submarine sandwhich ) type bun. Plaster it which ketchup ( tomatoe sauce ) and mustard and you have a hot dog. They have weeners that do not have meat in them, but taste about the same.
They do not have spaghetti in a can here. The X farm boss tells me they have a very limited selection of munchies in Holland.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 22:13   #25
cruiser

Hi Dawn,
We're both big fans of bread, oil & dukka, pesto, hummus & sundried tomato for lighter snacks. They help spread out a snack plate and are an option for lactose intolerant people or those who don't want heavier food like cheese. I have a lot of fun with the blender at home making all sorts of combinations, most of which have actually been edible. A trip down to the mudhouse (not the toilet, for those that don't know Marlborough) can provide a lot of inspiration for different combinations. Have a taste, pick the eyes out of their intellectual property rights and take home some ideas for your own creations.
Old 06-02-2006, 22:26   #26
Kai Nui

Mrs. Wheels, Michael pretty much covered it. The pigs in a blanket are either hotdogs wrapped in pastry, or for hors d ourvres, little sausages wrapped in pastry. The little smokies are tiny sauges that are usually heated in their own sauce, and kept warm in a slow cooker. They have a spicy sweet, sort of pork and beans taste. nice thing about this stuff is it is finger food, or for the little smokies toothpick food.
Old 06-02-2006, 23:17   #27

Pigs in a blanket rules!!

Old 22-02-2006, 22:00   #28

Boat: Zack C bayliner 3870
If you have a blender or beater on board try this drink. I serve it a lot of times for dessert. Start with a half gal. of vanilla ice-cream in blender and add 6oz can pineapple juice and 6oz of Malabo coconut rum, blend until smooth. I think you will like it.
Old 22-02-2006, 22:13   #29
Kai Nui

OK, since we are doing drinks now, take a large mason jar (1 gallon prefered) Fill half with ice. Fill half with quartered lemons. Put in 1 pound of sugar (no I'm not kidding), and fill to the top with tequila. Start passing arround the jar. Everyone has to shake it for at least a minute. After the first round, take a drink. Shake for another minute and pass it on. Next person takes a drink, shakes for a minute, and so on. THe drink is called "YUK"
Get back to me after you try it to guess why it is called YUK.
(FWIW, it tastes really good)
Old 22-02-2006, 22:17   #30
Kai Nui

Chicken?