Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 11:39   #1

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Drinks?

We're both in the same boat. Not fancy people but both hate eating or drinking out of plastic. During the refit, we switched to small mason/canning jars and are happy. I'm sure they're strong (tempered glass) but are they strong enough underway? I was going to run a bead of silicone around the bottom for nonskid, but if it's a waste of time I'm open to suggestions. It won't be plastic though.
As ever, thanks.

Old 20-07-2017, 11:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Drinks?

I too hate drinking or eating from plastic. I have glass or ceramic glasses and coffee mugs and Corningware plates.

I have used Mason jars as well and keep a number on board for storing food. Normal use they're fine but drop them far enough or drop them on something hard enough and of course they'll break. So?? Clean up the glass and get out another jar.

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 11:47   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

We have various 'plastic' poly carb/lexan whatever they are but they're smooth to the touch and you'd never know they weren't glass until you pick them up. Have rocks glasses, wine, pilsner whatever, there's tons out there and pretty cheap these days. The mason jars will take a beating but when they break you'll be picking a million shards up and could be very dangerous in the right circumstances. The only item I have t been able to replace yet is finding a all SS coffee press, if anyone knows where to get one, preferably a large one
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 11:55   #4

We buy glasses/plates from restaurant supply stores. The glasses and plates come with individual chip or breakage warranties. The only issue is that you buy in quantities that start at 24 or 36 each. So what we do is take what we need then sell the rest on eBay. Here's a link to the one we use - https://www.webstaurantstore.com/
DnA9413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 12:33   #5

Are we talking 'red solo cups' when we say plastic? Or are we talking about the klunky 'sippy-cup' style of plastic cups? Tervis?

Polycarb glasswear looks like glass and feel pretty close. About the only thing you really notice is the weight (or lack thereof). I will admit we are not classy people. My wife is happy with a Tervis, as long as it's not empty. She's more worried about whether she has ice than what the ice is carried in.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 12:47   #6

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

We use the yeti style steel "glasses". They have dropped in price considerably and if left overnight with ice, the ice will still be there! Cant ask for more.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 12:55   #7

Boat: 42' Sportfish

We switched mostly to Tervis; glass sweats.

In fact, we've also switched to steel insulated coffee mugs for more than just coffee. Makes a great cocktail shaker, and it'll keep a martini cold for hours without sweating all over the woodwork. Fill with ice, fill with gin, shake, drink.

Cant say the one Yeti steel mug we have is any better than the less expensive mugs we've been using...

-Chris
Old 20-07-2017, 12:56   #8

[QUOTE=Shrew;2437498]Are we talking 'red solo cups' when we say plastic? Or are we talking about the klunky 'sippy-cup' style of plastic cups? Tervis?

I have tried red solo cups and the double walled thermal plastic. We didn't like them on land and suspect we are just prejudiced, but there you go. I know mason jars can break, but we've lived aboard (at the dock) for 2 years with no mishaps. I'd like to keep on unless someone has horror stories.
redhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 13:01   #9

I dislike disposable anything (plastic cutlery, red solo cups, paper plates). Tervis feels klunky, but the glasses don't sweat, which is nice.

I would honestly give polycarb a try. We don't allow glass on the boat at all. I can't speak to ball jars, but have cut my foot on a broken beer bottle which immediately preceded the 'no glass' rule.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 13:05   #10

I hate the taste of drinks in metal, but I've got a a painted themos-style mug with a plastic top on board that isn't too bad. I think it may have come from Starbucks, in the 90's. The rest is plastic with non-skid rings though.

Back in college, we just used heavy-duty pyrex lab beakers for beer or coffee and old-fashioned USP-style graduated cylinders for wine or cocktails. We told ourselves that they were tougher and more practical than standard glasses, but really, we were pathetic dweebs and got cases of them cheap at lab surplus. On the other hand, it's been almost 40 years, and I still have some of those cylinders.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 13:10   #11
rbk

And for eating look for melamine dinnerware. Non-marine prices are much better and can be found and ordered all over the place. Only downfall is they can't be microwaved, so not a real concern on a boat
Old 20-07-2017, 13:21   #12

We've been pretty happy with Corelle. One shattered since 2014 and I can live with that. A bead of silicone around the bottom prevents slip sliding away.
redhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 13:25   #13
rbk

We had Corelle on our last boat but just weren't happy with the current patterns that were available. One benefit of the melamine over CorelleI hadn't even thought of before was the noise reduction; Mel is so much quieter but we'll see if they last as long as Corelle
Old 20-07-2017, 13:27   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
We use the yeti style steel "glasses". They have dropped in price considerably and if left overnight with ice, the ice will still be there! Cant ask for more.
<<< THIS.

Look at Big Lots and Walmart, too. Same construction and materials, 1/3 the price, 95% to 100% performance. Cant break. Dents dont really matter much. Safe... never cut a lip on a chip you didn't see on the rim. I think consumer report gave Yeti brand a meh on value compared to the low budget brands of stainless insulated mugs and jugs.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 13:50   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

In our ship, we have proper Austrian crystal glass stuff for wine ... underway stored in a wooden box. Artefacts of our once landbased life. What a pleasure to sip a good drink from a fine vessel once anchored!

Other stuff (earthware, porcelain, etc.) I tend to lose one now and then, esp. in bad offshore crashes. But otherwise they seem to do very well, living between the galley and the halyard bags. After each accident, I walk into those 1 dollar Chinese stores and shop like mad for something sub-dollar and very fancy. Deals abound. Esp. if you are into pink ;-)

So my take is to keep your Sunday's best secured until it is flat (but do keep it). Use earthware and porcelain underway otherwise.

Cheers,
b.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote