Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 13:57   #16

Re: Drinks?

we use glass...Corelle plates and so on... never had a breakage problem except a few cheap glasses... don't store them stacked. No plastic on the boat...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 13:59   #17

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

I also crossed the pond with 6 cut glass tumblers, evening cocktails taste much better with the clink of ice on crystal. And rbk, Thermos make a stainless press.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 15:38   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Redhead,

The boat is going to be your home. Stemless wine glasses get knocked over less often than ones with stems. Corelle works very well on boats, but I have most of the pottery intact that we started with 30+ yrs. ago, too. It is how you store things that avoids breakage. They need to be snug, so they can't start moving. (For instance, the stemmed ware that I still have, are in clean socks, and have their own niches in the wine glass cabinet.)

Our flatware is some s/s that Jim's Mom gave us. If I had it to do over, I'd have bought some new, or taken with me from home all the good stuff that would fit. Your boat is an expression of yourself, and I'd say let your heart guide you, and if you like glass or crystal, figure out how to bring it. The Lexan and acrylic stemware looks okay in the beginning, but soon acquires a hazy, scratched look.

If you love having people over, bring all the tiddly little things that make that fun for you, the cheese knifes, the whatever it is for you that makes you happy with entertaining. Your boat has more room than a 30 footer.

Ann
Old 20-07-2017, 16:00   #19

I highly recommend the Linkyo Stainless Steel French Press. A beautiful piece of metalwork. Double walled, comes with a spare stainless screen, really nice. Cheap too! Can be had for as little as twenty bucks on glamazon.

Regarding glassware, we have some tumblers made from tempered glass intended for restaurant/bar use. Finally broke one down below a month ago. Boy was I glad they're tempered. Much prefer picking up little cubes of glass instead of a million sharp splinters.

Tumbler fell off the galley counter while we were both on deck in bare feet with our flip flops and shoes down below. Good thing the broom is close at hand near the companionway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1831.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	152342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1830.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	152343  

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 16:25   #20
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I highly recommend the Linkyo Stainless Steel French Press. A beautiful piece of metalwork. Double walled, comes with a spare stainless screen, really nice. Cheap too! Can be had for as little as twenty bucks on glamazon.

Regarding glassware, we have some tumblers made from tempered glass intended for restaurant/bar use. Finally broke one down below a month ago. Boy was I glad they're tempered. Much prefer picking up little cubes of glass instead of a million sharp splinters.

Tumbler fell off the galley counter while we were both on deck in bare feet with our flip flops and shoes down below. Good thing the broom is close at hand near the companionway.
+1 for the Linkyo SS press. We have the large one and we love it! Easy to clean, too.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 04:56   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
We've been pretty happy with Corelle. One shattered since 2014 and I can live with that. A bead of silicone around the bottom prevents slip sliding away.

We've been happy with our Corelle, too. Our set a dolphin pattern... and we've augmented the basics with a few larger plain white Corelle serving bowls. Going on 18 years old, nothing broken yet.

Haven't bothered to treat each individual plate, etc. When necessary, we just trot out some placemats made of non-skid rubber stuff.

-Chris
Old 21-07-2017, 05:34   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

9 years, 3 months ago I bought 6 cheap supermarket glasses. 1 survivez. So I break about one every 2 years.

None of my wine glasses, mainly long stemmed have broken.

So I kinda don't know what the fuss is all about.

☺️
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 05:55   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
The only item I have t been able to replace yet is finding a all SS coffee press, if anyone knows where to get one, preferably a large one
Based on recommendations from this forum, I bought a Thermos Vacuum Insulated Coffee Press, 34 oz (NCI1000SS4) $32 US. I'm very happy with the durability and coffee making ability. As an added bonus, It's got a rubber bottom that handles a slight heel without scooting!

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 08:42   #24

We have a Thermos 34-oz vacuum insulated press that is stainless with plastic and it has worked like a champ for four years. Nothing to break and it keeps coffee hot. It looks like like they are discontinued, but still available on Amazon.
Papillongirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 08:59   #25

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

We use glass and crystal. One breakage in 11 years.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 09:42   #26
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post

Looks great! I'll have to take a closer look at this and the thermos one mentioned. Thanks everyone
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote