Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2018, 16:05   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Don't Bogart that Joint... Eh!

Recreational Marijuana will become legal in Canada this October.
What repercussions will boats crossing the US/Canada border face?

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...for-us-w521772
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-act-bill-c-45
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 16:26   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Don't Bogart that Joint... Eh!

For those who don't know the reference[emoji4]
https://youtu.be/EvGJvzwKqg0

Don't Bogart That Joint https://g.co/kgs/5TWyFp
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 16:33   #3

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

It’s been legal in Washington for years with few issues. Why should this be any different?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 16:41   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

A small amount say less than 1/4 oz is not going to be an issue. I would actually like to see Sessions really crack down on weed as republicans will lose a ton of votes from guys I know that are plenty redneck but smoke plenty
Old 20-06-2018, 16:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Recreational Marijuana will become legal in Canada this October.
What repercussions will boats crossing the US/Canada border face?

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...for-us-w521772
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-act-bill-c-45
they need to change the canadian flag from maple leaf to marijuana leaf,then the us customs will just nod wisely and let them pass.......not

any boat owner or traveler needs to be aware that what may be legal at home may not be legal in other countries and act accordingly to observe the law of the country being visited.

crossing a border with narcotics is liable to be treated as smuggling rather than possesion,whatever the amount.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 16:43   #6

Boat: Currently in between

In an ideal world it would mean nothing, no impact to Canadians crossing over.

In today's over zealous world it probably means every Canadian, and returning Americans, will face increased scrutiny!

Dang shame a much needed law will negatively impact us cruisers.

Oh, and I'm American but fully support what Canada is doing. Wish we could hurry up and get there ourselves.
Old 20-06-2018, 17:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
It’s been legal in Washington for years with few issues. Why should this be any different?
Legal pot in WA has to have a state tax paid, just like cigarettes and booze. Any other is illegal. So I wouldn't bring any over. It's a money grab by the state, unlike Alaska where you can grow your own. There was a big drug bust in WA recently for unapproved growth.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 17:13   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

Legal pot in Canada and legal pot in WA, but the border crossing folks are federal and pot is still illegal in the US. If they decide they want to enforce.....
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 17:38   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I may be wrong, but I’m under the impression that Pot is illegal in the United States, by that I mean Federal Law.
A State May chose to not prosecute a Federal Law, but if you on a boat, You may be subjected to Federal Laws and not the State Law.
I’m not trying to be argumentative, but be careful and I’d at least be covert.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 17:50   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Glad to see this discussion start up again here. It was raised a couple of months ago, but the powers that be shut it down here (for reasons I don’t understand):

Weed - Page 13 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Hope this thread doesn’t suffer the same fate. It IS an important subject for Canadian and American cruisers.

Looks like it won’t be legal till October 17th here in Canada, so probably won’t become a real issue until the summer of 2019. There are a ton of boats which cross the border in the Great Lakes, and on the west (and to a lesser extent) east coasts.
Old 20-06-2018, 18:24   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I wasn’t around for that thread, I was gone for a family emergency so I’m only guessing.
However any thread that whenever pretty much all the logical arguments that can be made, have been, but the thread degrades to a match between two or more groups and becomes disruptive beyond saving we will kill the thread in order to foster the more family oriented flavor we aspire to.
If your thinking possibly it was the subject matter, I doubt it. Usually the threads that go down like I described are anchor threads, and you know that is very cruising oriented, yet sometimes brings great emotional responses.
Sometimes people get so emotional about something, nothing but a time out will cool things down.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 18:51   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This is purely speculation, but for a moment, consider this: with civil asset forfeiture a popular method of fundraising among various branches of law enforcement, I personally would be very surprised if they did not see it an opportunity to gain more funds. Especially for Border Force, who are obliged to follow Federal law.

This is a purely practical issue, polemics aside, and as a multi-national cruiser, it is always best to err on the side of abiding by the laws of the country who is about to be your host.

Ann

As to why the thread was closed, there is one other factor. The owner of this forum, who ultimately sets all policy, does not want the forum to support any illegal activity whatsoever. This is a separate issue from moderation of CF, which is not an allowed subject of comment.
Old 20-06-2018, 19:11   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know, years ago, in San Diego, we saw one of the yachts in the compound which had been confiscated by the border patrol. It was a Swan 48, iirc, and they had searched it with axes, and had left the hatches open for a couple of years.

The boat was eventually auctioned off, and the new owner discovered that he was subject to rigorous Customs searches thereafter--and he had had no previous connection to the boat.

This issue to me boils down to "don't mess with Hoppy." Would you rather be a civil lliberties test case or out there cruising?

Ann
Old 20-06-2018, 20:11   #14

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

It’s all a moot point anyway: with extracts and vapes there is no smell or smoke and the cartridges can be hidden anywhere including among your other legal flavored juices.

I thought the OP was about Canadian Customs no longer looking for Washington weed, but I guess it’s still a revenue issue for the taxman.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 20:44   #15
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

You guys are funny .... there are soooo many stories out there of people being asked (by the US Border patrol) if they have EVER smoked pot and after admitting smoking at some point in their life having been not only refused entry into the US but barred for life !!!!

AFAIK, for a significant amount of money and some time you can request entry via special permit or something along those lines.

So you say 'they are just stories' ... well ok, you try it out and let us know how it goes! Personally, I would not give the border people any reason to look at me as someone of interest.

BTW, the Canadian border agent might ask you about smoking pot too but he doesn't care about the answer unless you are impaired at the time (he will seize the pot based on current law). I have never heard of any person being refused entry when they do not have drugs on them but smoked a joint when Jesus was a baby.

The border guys are unlikely to size your boat if you answer 'yes, I smoked a joint 25 years ago' but chances are pretty significant that they will say "we don't want you here". If they find any amount of pot, they will seize the pot. I do not know at what qty of pot they will hand you over to the cops and possibly seize the boat. They have TOTAL discretion and if the agent got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning or somebody else gave him grief before you, then I wish you good luck !
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote