Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 19:03   #1

Do you use a cheap camp stove to cook on? What kind of fuel does it use?

Does anyone cook using a cheap camp stove? If so, what kind of fuel does it use and are you concerned about carbon monoxide?

Thanks
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 19:37   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Do you use a cheap camp stove to cook on? What kind of fuel does it use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Does anyone cook using a cheap camp stove? If so, what kind of fuel does it use and are you concerned about carbon monoxide?

Thanks
I have used two; one used alcohol, the other disposable butane canisters.
No, I wasn't worried about CO; there always seemed to be more pressing matters to be concerned about.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 19:41   #3

We have a portable single-burner butane stove like one of these. We bought it because they're inexpensive and simple, the small fuel cans are easy to buy and store, and because they are relatively safe indoors. Normally we use it in the cockpit, but we've also used it in the cabin when it's raining. A small restaurant used them in a food court where they saw 3 hours constant (and legal) use per day.

It's been great for occasional weekending in our small boat; I don't know whether it would be suitable for extended cruising.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 20:17   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

I use a Max Burtan Butane stove. Inexpensive like the others and as a bonus comes with a hard carry case.

Have a CO/Smoke detector combo in our vberth. Burnt toast sets off the fire warning, has not set off the CO detector.
Old 11-12-2013, 20:48   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We used an old pump up Coleman gas stove for about a year and a half after we launched our boat, finaly traded for a old SS 3 burner with a oven that ya had to light by hand and shut by shuting off the propane by hand LOL the camp stove worked ok but I always felt it was unsafe ! but when ya bild a boat yourself, and run out of boat bucks, ya do what ya have to! We wanted the SO Pacific so a stove was just ONE of the things on the wish list !! Some of you folks that cruise with kids, and are not rich will understand this LOL
Old 11-12-2013, 23:39   #6

Boat: Mac 26X

I have the Camp Chef stove/oven Combo Outdoor Camp Oven | Camp Chef

It's not meant to be used inside and they are very clear about that. I've used it a while and love it, and no, I wouldn't sleep or go to the store with it on.
Old 12-12-2013, 00:19   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I used a Colman propane stove attached to the top of the old cantering alcohol stove for 9 years until I did the final rework of the interior.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:59   #8

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

Where does everyone store the small propane bottles for theses stoves? Would love to use a gas grill but can't figure where to store the bottles.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:11   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do you use a cheap camp stove to cook on? What kind of fuel does it use?

Somewhere easy to access... its a pain having to shift 1/2 a ton of stuff if it runs out halfway through cooking..

Add on: On the delivery of Wotname's boat I kept mine in a space under the stove.. 2ft under.. wedged with a teatowel to stop them moving about.. they come capped and can't be activated accidently

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:19   #10

Boat: Mac 26X

I keep mine outside in a vented locker.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:05   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We cook on a marine kerosene stove, one in each boat. Old fashioned but safe and efficient. If you wanted a camp style version a high quality Japanese unit (mansalu) is available from Base Camp. Single burner. Use a bit of alcohol or sterno to pre heat it. Runs on kero. No gas to worry about. They ship to US.

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Manaslu/Manaslu2%20.htm

Manaslu Spares Price List

But propane also works well and is easier. But you have the canisters to fuss with.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:29   #12

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

I have used small propane stoves in my tent while out backpacking and bicycle touring. This is a huge No-No to some as the fire danger is pretty high. Nylon tent, open flame...yeah, I get that. I hate openly cooking in direct pouring rain though so the risk was mitigated for me.

I have three stoves, an Coleman single burner propane, MSR Whisperlite, and MSR Pocket Rocket. Of the three, only the Coleman has adequate footing for the pot to be used on a boat. The others require a lot of balancing. The Whisperlite is a no-go inside anything. White gas might burn cleaner, but it reeks. The small propane stoves seem to work fine in tighter spaces. I have a largish 2 man tent and have never had a problem with CO buildup. An open window flap and partially open fly is enough to chimney in fresh air for me. YMMV on venting, but it is doable.

The small canister types take 4, 8 or 16 ounce cans that are not very big. Disposable steel, so once done can be discarded in port. They are not very big. A 4 ounce bottle is about 5x5 inches and will boil probably 20 liters of water ASL before requiring replacement. I carry two on my bike, though one is enough fuel for a hot meal for 2 per day for almost 2 weeks while out "camping". Again, YMMV.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:35   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

before i bought my force 10 3 burner stove i just traded down to a 2 burner, i used coleman and brinkmann camp stoves. they are fine. cook with some ports open. i stored my propane cannisters in plastic baggies under sink.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:57   #14

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've used cheap camp stoves in 3 boats I've owned. Usually, I've used the 1 lb green propane tanks, that now cost about $3 each. (double that in the Bahamas) I often get about 10 days of use out of one. The tanks designed for small propane torches also fit.

True the fuel costs a bit more that way, but with less than $100 invested in the system and less than $2/week to operate, it's a very affordable option for short-term cruising.

I like that when it's hot, I can also easily carry it out to the cockpit and cook out there without generating all the inside heat.

On a recent camper project I bought one of those single burner propane stoves that fits the tank under it and made a cut out in the counter so it drops in as a counter top stove. All for under $20, and those stoves put out some great heat.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 20:13   #15

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Two questions please...

1) How come a stove built for using inside a house doesn't have CO warnings but camp stoves do?

2) Does anyone know what the most readily available stove fuel is in Mexico, Central America and South America?
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, fuel