Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 13:04   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
A good friend used to use a varient of that known as the "I gotta pee". He swore by it to the point of announcing loudly to all "Stand by for a strike, I gotta pee".

I hate to say it but I swear it's true but that particular piece of gear would barely reach the fresh air before we would get a fish on. It got so bad we just kept him in beer, he kept us in fish............m
Old 10-03-2010, 14:03   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Why not include any people from the recreational fishing industry that represents something like $60 billion in business? The total sportfishing catch in the US represents 3% of the total take. Yet many advocates of total bans on fishing have the ear of the committee.
Highly doubtful they would try to enact a total ban but they have already implemented localized bans and they now have the camels nose under the tent. Incremental picking away at this is what is happening...for 3% of the total take. Why?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 16:01   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I just took a few minutes to read the task force report, and I'm dumbfounded how any rational person could interpret it as a move to limit recreational fishing access. What the task force is recommending, rather, is adapting an ecosystem-based management plan as a foundational principle for the management of ocean/coastal/Great Lakes resources. There is also a great deal in the report about increasing knowledge--especially through science--of these systems in order to better inform the decision-making process at all levels. Finally, they recommend a coordinated system for regional management. You'd have to be absolutely paranoid to conclude that the President has ambitions to rip the fishing rods out our hands as a result of this document. Frankly, I'd be surprised to learn that the President has even read it. Surely he has bigger fish to fry.
Old 10-03-2010, 16:25   #19

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
"Surely he has bigger fish to fry."

He's doing a pretty good job of that on himself and the country as a whole right now.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 06:43   #20

Boat: Faircat 39'
I am from South Africa and we have to obtain a recreational fishing licence to fish in South African waters, even for subsistance fishing. Do you think I would need this to fish as we cross oceans? Does anyone else have a fishing licence to catch fish while criusing? Our licence is renewable annually.
Yrumoar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing