Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 18:21   #121

Boat: Various
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You can think less of them, but you would have to think less of a lot more folks back then as well. It was just the way it was then. I sailed on many boats during the 70's and they all bagged and sank. No holding tanks either, pump it straight out, even at anchor, in a bay, and nobody ever complained, or even thought of complaining, because they were doing exactly the same thing. Wasn't it just great to be able to enjoy yourselves back then?

You cannot apply retro retributions for doing what was the norm then because the rules have changed now.

Coops.
I would assume in 40 years people learn things. I've learned a lot since the 70's. Of course I was only alive for 2 1/2 months of them. Seriously, we seem to get upset at people who change their views and I've never understood that. I sure view things a lot differently than I did 20-25 years ago and I'd like to think I'm more enlightened. I hope to continue to learn, change and grow the next 20 years.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 19:18   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would assume in 40 years people learn things. I've learned a lot since the 70's. Of course I was only alive for 2 1/2 months of them. Seriously, we seem to get upset at people who change their views and I've never understood that. I sure view things a lot differently than I did 20-25 years ago and I'd like to think I'm more enlightened. I hope to continue to learn, change and grow the next 20 years.
I suppose one could look at it that way.

Another way to look at it is if it takes someone 40 yrs to learn something, that's the very definition of a slow learner. Yes, I do agree that we all get wiser as we get older, but the vast majority of things (especially critical thinking skills) should be learned early on in life, the sooner the better, for them and everyone around them.

As I told my ex-wife, 52 yrs old is a little late to learn that having checks in the checkbook doesn't mean you still have funds in the bank. It sure caused us a lot of grief until I eliminated the problem.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 19:28   #123

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I suppose one could look at it that way.

Another way to look at it is if it takes someone 40 yrs to learn something, that's the very definition of a slow learner. Yes, I do agree that we all get wiser as we get older, but the vast majority of things (especially critical thinking skills) should be learned early on in life, the sooner the better, for them and everyone around them.

As I told my ex-wife, 52 yrs old is a little late to learn that having checks in the checkbook doesn't mean you still have funds in the bank. It sure caused us a lot of grief until I eliminated the problem.
Well, I don't agree with your conclusions. And in now way does being a lifetime learner mean a slow learner. It means one can always expand their knowledge, learn new things. And honestly some topics and areas of learning today didn't even exist 40 years ago. Knowledge is always expanding for the universe and for us as individuals.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 15:21   #124

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

An interesting thread. I'll add a couple of cents worth.

I live in Tasmania, at the bottom of Australia. Two years ago when there was a seafood poisoning scare, our marine authority obtained advice and then announced that under our current environmental laws the discharge of boats waste tanks, e.g black water, anywhere into the States Water ways is an offence. Now this was a shock to everyone because, firstly no one knew this and secondly most sail vessels and recreational vessels don't have holding tanks. There are no requirements to have them in Tasmania and there is only one area that discharging anywhere in the bay was known to be a Parks offence.

Now, the problem with this suddenly being announced, is that not only do few vessels have holding tanks in Tasmania, but even if you have one, like I do, then there is only one place in Tasmania that is commonly known about where there is a dockside pump out and that's in the South. Because I forecast the need for a holding tank I have rebuilt my head with a holding tank, but I only have a 25 ltre tank which means I need to discharge over board every couple of days. Up along the East Coast of Australia and even in the Whitsunday's where there is pristine cruising, there are legal discharge locations usually about 4 miles off as long as you have a maccerator in your head. But not so in Tasmania. So, in Tasmania at this current time, just about everyone who has a head on a small vessel is breaking the law. Thankfully, our Marine Authority recognises this and is working towards fixing the problem, thought they are still making it clear it's 'illegal' and that's that.

When I go sailing, I bring back everything I can't put down the head with the exception of vegetable peelings and food scraps which I admittantly throw overboard. I'm not sure of the legality of this though. But, my sailing trips so far have been three weeks sailing at most. That usually results in two to three half full garbage bags of rubbish.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 05:23   #125
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You cannot apply retro retributions for doing what was the norm then because the rules have changed now.

Coops.
I'm guessing you are not familiar with CERLA. Whether the practice was legal, now or at the time, is not relavant. You are responsible for the situation, as it is.

Superfund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 14-07-2014, 05:27   #126

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm guessing you are not familiar with CERLA. Whether the practice was legal, now or at the time, is not relavant. You are responsible for the situation, as it is.
How does CERCLA apply beyond the 12 mile limit? It's US law.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 05:42   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Not only not familiar, never heard of it. Guess that being in Australia is a good enough reason for that.

Coops.
Old 14-07-2014, 06:35   #128
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Superfund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ya gotta start thinking outside of your little box...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 07:18   #129

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

This whole discussion is silly. There is zero chance of enforcement whilst 600 miles out to sea. Is a navy boat going to "pull me over" to check to make sure my farts are collected? This is another example of growing bureaucracy through arbitrary measures at a great cost to the tax payers .

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 07:28   #130
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There is a big difference between learning and caring.

If you don't care....then what you primarily tend to learn is how to rationalize your polluting practices...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 07:45   #131
CLOD

Boat: none

long thread about what is just a common sense thing, if you can not decide what type of trash you can toss in the water you have bigger problems
Old 14-07-2014, 07:59   #132

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I put a message in a bottle once. It said, "Save the planet! Quit being a litterbug"

I just wanna know if you all are moral enough to be sailors after being litterbugs...
Were you in group W too? Man what a day that was.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 08:03   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Heck, we dump chemical weapons in the ocean.
Errr...no.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 08:04   #134
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

So my take on this thread is
1) it's ok to dump because there is no other choice
2) It's Ok to dump because big industry does
3) it's OK to dump because municipalities do.
4) Glass and cans miraculously disappear over time without a trace
5) Burning on land is worse than dumping in the ocean
6) Land fills are just as bad as dumping in the ocean
7) I can dump if I want to because everyone else does
8) I live on my sailboat so I make a smaller environmental impact than most and
so therefore, I can trash out and still be ahead of the game.
9) I don't have to make any excuses to my grandchildren for spoiling
the environment because my stuff cant be seen or found on the bottom
of the oceans.

Oh well, I'm not in the mood to go on any further.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 08:43   #135

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Banana peels? Seriously? Next you guys are gonna start saying I need to bag my farts.
You should start saving your fart gas in bags. It's good for you.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote