Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2013, 16:17   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Dispatching Fish with Alcohol

This is probably a bit of an odd question for this audience since 3/4 of boat life seems to center on drinking but here goes ....
I don't drink, never acquired a taste for alcohol and intensely dislike even minute amounts. Is there any kind of transmission of alcohol to the meat of the fish if it is dispatched with alcohol?
A related question: Since I don't carry booze of any kind on board, will Isopropyl alcohol do the job without striking me blind (since it is poisonous for drinking purposes)?
Thanks in advance.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 16:22   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Dispatching fish with alcohol

i dont bother with alcohol before cleaning a live fish. is unnecessary. just clean it. save the rubbing alcohol for would care .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 16:25   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
This is probably a bit of an odd question for this audience since 3/4 of boat life seems to center on drinking but here goes ....
I don't drink, never acquired a taste for alcohol and intensely dislike even minute amounts. Is there any kind of transmission of alcohol to the meat of the fish if it is dispatched with alcohol?
A related question: Since I don't carry booze of any kind on board, will Isopropyl alcohol do the job without striking me blind (since it is poisonous for drinking purposes)?
Thanks in advance.
a. Absorption, not transmission. It is not infectious.

b. Clean and wash the fish before cooking. Then cook. Alcohol does not stay in cooked foods.

c. Keep a pint of gin on board solely for this purpose. I won't tease you. Don't be a dork and use a toxic product simply because you dislike drinking. I seriously doubt you will like the taste of IPA better.

d. Or simply club them like the rest of us.
Old 13-06-2013, 16:43   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I dont drink but I keep a couple of airplane size bottles of the cheapest liquor the store will sell on board for this purpose (right now its pomegranate flavored rum for 90 cents a bottle). The advantage of the cheap airplane bottles is that they are made of cheap plastic and can be inserted right in the gills where you can simply squeeze them and squirt the booze right where it needs to be. No contamination of the meat at all that I could ever detect.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 16:46   #5
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
c. Keep a pint of gin on board solely for this purpose. I won't tease you. Don't be a dork and use a toxic product simply because you dislike drinking. I seriously doubt you will like the taste of IPA better.
Just a clarification:
I have Isopropyl alcohol on board anyway so it's a matter of using what I already have or buying different stuff and taking up more space.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 16:47   #6

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I use alcohol, it works very very fast and is much cleaner then clubbing the flopping fish.

Petty much anything seems to work, even that terrible Bombara rum from the TCI...
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 16:50   #7

Use Ethyl Alcohol. It is easy to obtain in a variety of flavors. I use cheap vodka as nobody seems to drink it. The fish like it. Works spectacularly. Yes, a very slight amount will be in the flesh of the fish. Less than in a slightly overripe apple.

Using a poison is unwise. If you must denature the alcohol to prevent drinking in a weak moment, mix in something offensive but not poisonous. Fish oil? Garlic?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 16:54   #8

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
...odd question for this audience since 3/4 of boat life seems to center on drinking ...
Ouch, that's brutal.

Thought is was just half of boat life.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 16:57   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

Does warm beer work?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 17:00   #10

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
I have use a hammer for over 40 years it works on all but the biggest of fish which will never get on the boat anyway. If it is that big I have a 12 ga Bang Stick for good measure.
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 17:09   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
No problem, we use it all the time.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 17:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench'sCaptain View Post
I have use a hammer for over 40 years it works on all but the biggest of fish which will never get on the boat anyway. If it is that big I have a 12 ga Bang Stick for good measure.
We used to use a billy, but quickly got tired of the boat looking like a mafia hit scene. Especially tuna - no way to bean them without lots of blood.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 13-06-2013, 17:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Does warm beer work?
That's how almost all of the charter fisherman catch fish. Probably lots of the cruisers also. The fish don't care how cold your drink is...

Mark

Old 13-06-2013, 17:28   #14

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We used to use a billy, but quickly got tired of the boat looking like a mafia hit scene. Especially tuna - no way to bean them without lots of blood.

Mark
Cover their eyes with hand or towel that calms them then one to two strikes above the eyes their brain dead, it works. I should have mentioned it is a Ballpeen hammer the rounded side as it punctures the scull better with whole lots less blood. I was taught this method when fishing as a teenager. I should just admit I hate wasting a good beverage.
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 17:32   #15

Boat: contessa 32
Re: Dispatching Fish with Alcohol

Real sailors take a swig of rum and spit it in the fishes mouth.It does completely knock out the fish when it hits the gills. Also traditional is beating the fish with a winch handle which will make a god-awful mess, nor is it humane.
An additional benefit of the rum , besides the obvious, is that any crew will believe they they are sailing with J. Slocum incarnate.
I did fill a spray bottle one year with rubbing alcohol in an effort to conserve the rum but could never locate it when required..... always knew where the rum bottle was however.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish