Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 16:42   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Re: Dispatching Fish with Alcohol

I have really enjoyed this thread. Keep up the fun attitudes.
Okay, before sailing away in SoCal, I used cheap vodka in a West System epoxy syringe into the gills - no blood, no fuss, clean decks and a happy fish. Our two years in Mexico and Central America, we used cheap tequila. Then in the Caribbean, Bahamas and South America, we used cheap rum. Now that we are living, sailing, working and fishing in Baja Alabama, even have a Panga, we use cheap vodka to send the Red Snapper to heaven.
Notice, we gave the fish cheap booze and save the good stuff for enjoyment with friends after the boat is docked. I am enjoying a Dark & Stormy just now, Gosling Black Seal and Goslings Ginger Beer, aaaah!
Keep the dry side up.
Tom
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 17:06   #92

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Ok! Ok! I give up! I've got a bottle of Old Crow on the boat that nobody will drink, do ya think that'll work?
I gotta ask though, has anyone ever shot fish with a bow and arrow?
It's a hoot! Shooting big old suckers and cat fish out of the Columbia river in a canoe can be rather sporting. I use my 75lb long bow for that.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 18:03   #93

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

LOLOL ! Im think Im gonna stick with cutting the tail and letting them bleed out overboard ! No mess no fuss and the meat tastes a lot better when totaly bled out this way ! No red blood lines in the meat! Some of you folks need to remember these are FISH Not your pet dog or cat !! Dispatch them anyway you like, but remember they are FOOD not something to keep aboard for a friend!! LOL And I like to keep my boat clean!!
Old 22-06-2013, 08:08   #94

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Man, oh, man! Some folks are really thick around here!
Yes, your assumption that I was a commercial fisherman is correct.
I also fish with a 100 year old split bamboo fly rod and use hand tied flys and gold Alcock hooks occasionally.
I'll bet most of you have never even heard of Alcock hooks!
I still refuse to waste good hooch on a &$@?!" Fish!
What ever blows the wind up your skirt is my motto!
Geoduck,
Thank you for your comments and your clarity. When one speaks to a professional, in any field, one must use the proper respect, propriety and decorum and if I have somehow failed to do so, I offer my sincere apologies. It is rare in today's world to have the opportunity to speak with professionals and share the immense knowledge they have garnered over the years working in their profession. And you, Sir, by your previous luminary responses to this thread, have established your superiority to all other respondants. To this, I acquiesce. In regards to fly fishing, I'm certain that all the bravado, panache and testosterone infused masculinity you have practiced in your former life fighting wind, water and the harsh elements as you pursued your professional commercial fishing career you have likewise practiced the sensitivity, finesse and artistic demeanor necessary for casting a #18 Gray Drake on a WF composite flyline(line weight, of course, would be determined by your professional expertise as you gauged the flow of the river, wind and strength of the currents, on your 100 year old handmade split bamboo fly rod. To these accomplishments, there is little others can do to reach this impossible elevated level other than dream. And, for those like myself who are "really thick," as you have stated above, I must accept my lowly position on the universal scale of professionalism and abjectly accept my present and future attempts will only lead to failure. In closing, I would like to thank you for your excellent, perceptive and educational remarks concerning this thread and hope, for the sake of the countless uninitiated like myself, you will consider further discourse on other threads to help elevate this noble forum to a much higher level as only your past experience and professionalism is able to do. As for myself, whom you have called a "really thick person," I will sincerely try to improve both spiritually and intellectually in hopes of gaining your respect and pleasure although I am convinced I will never become a professional. Good luck, good sailing and in reverent respect . . . Captain Rognvald the Dilettante.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 08:43   #95

Boat: nothing
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 09:03   #96
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
LOLOL ! Im think Im gonna stick with cutting the tail and letting them bleed out overboard ! No mess no fuss and the meat tastes a lot better when totaly bled out this way ! No red blood lines in the meat! Some of you folks need to remember these are FISH Not your pet dog or cat !! Dispatch them anyway you like, but remember they are FOOD not something to keep aboard for a friend!! LOL And I like to keep my boat clean!!
Does that make the fish Halal?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 19:14   #97

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Dispatching Fish with Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

More like Good bye
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 19:42   #98

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Well, getting rid of the blood is proper and the blood thirsty cutting the throat (gills etc..) is proper. Whacking off the head is proper. It's not a pig, so thats proper. So I guess it's Halal. Throwing the guts up into the air so the birds catch them is optional. Now strangling the fish would not be Halal. Using booze, I just don't know.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 20:24   #99

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Alcohol, guns, anchors, tobacco and now religion (if you can call it that).

I think we're done here.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 20:30   #100

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Isn't that what the fish symbol means?

<º((((>< ~~~~~~~~
Old 22-06-2013, 21:17   #101

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

In the P.I. what will they say?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 03:16   #102
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Well, according to some, it would be haraam, (forbidden). However, animals that were "beaten to death" are also haraam, so how does the proper muslim kill his fish?
In non-islam countries, food prepared with alcohol is halal.

I love this wonderful world of Cruisers. So much amusing nonsense to enjoy.

Tom
Old 23-06-2013, 03:28   #103
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcal46skipper View Post
Well, according to some, it would be haraam, (forbidden). However, animals that were "beaten to death" are also haraam, so how does the proper muslim kill his fish?
In non-islam countries, food prepared with alcohol is halal.

I love this wonderful world of Cruisers. So much amusing nonsense to enjoy.

Tom
Just to clarify - are you saying therefore that Muslim beliefs are amusing nonsense? , I know I'm not
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 07:14   #104

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Just to clarify - are you saying therefore that Muslim beliefs are amusing nonsense? , I know I'm not
I don't think he was but that perhaps religious nonsense is amusing.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 09:15   #105
Marine Service Provider

I did not mean to imply any religion is nonsense. What I intended was an online discussion of dealing with fish that goes on and on is amusing nonsense.
My experience has been, any two "Cruisers" gather to discuss any issue and there will be at least seven differing opinions. This I find amusing and entertaining. :-)

Tags
fish