Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2017, 14:24   #1

disappointed of my new pressure cooker

I don't like cooking and have never used pressure cooker in my life before.
Having read the threads about the pressure cooker meal on boat in this forum, I finally got my new pressure cooker.

I thought I only needed to put all ingredient in the pressure cooker and placed it on the heat for a few minutes until the stream started to escape from the valve. Then I could remove it from the heat and let the food continue being cooked. In fact, it is my illusion.

After reading the instructions of pc, I am disappointed of it and it is not what I expect. I have to place it on the heat for the whole cooking time, even though it is only 10-15 minutes. It is a kind of speeding up the cooking process. Watching some pc cooking videos, I dislike seeing so much steam coming out from the valve. Some chief even make so much smoke while frying the ingredient in the pc. It is not good for me , as I don't want to have so much smoke and steam on the boat. It will be smelly in the saloon.

My main reason of getting a pc is for the galley ventilation on the boat. If I still want to use it, I may have to put the pc in the cockpit before releasing the steam.

How can you guys deal with it? Sorry that I am not a cooking person and have very low tolerant of smoke and steam on a small boat.
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 14:35   #2

Re: disappointed of my new pressure cooker

Maybe try with the heat turned lower once it has reached cooking temp? Shouldn't have excessive steam.

Ultimately if you're not happy with it, an insulated cooker (my choice over pressure) is probably more your style.
Old 31-01-2017, 14:38   #3

We use a pressure cooker and never had a smell problem from the steam. Gaby makes a fish head stew using it that is fabulous. If the steam bothers you, and since you say that you don't cook anyway, buy frozen stuff that goes in a microwave and give the pressure cooker to a boatie that could use one.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 14:41   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

What kind of pressure cooker did you buy? What is the brand?
The pot should not be throwing enough visible steam to look like a sauna. I think, perhaps, you just need a little help to get things working right. Post your questions and I am sure you will get a lot of responses! In the mean time, do a goog l e search for how to use a pressure cooker. There is so much info out there that you will be able to find a site that gives you instructions that you enjoy reading.

A pressure cooker primarily speeds things up while using less gas because you turn it down (not off) once it has reached pressure. A full chicken in 20-25 minutes instead of 40 or more for example. If you don't cook a lot it might not be a primary tool for you. But don't give up on it!

Also, you can use natural venting by allowing the pot to cool before you take off the lid. You never want to take off the lid right after you take the pot off the stove as the food is still under pressure. You can also quick cool the pot by pouring water over the lid, again, do this until the pressure is fully released.

One way to use a pressure cooker is to bring your pot up to a boil, turn off the stove, then insulate the pot with blankets or towels in a cooler. The effect is a slow cooker that uses very little fuel.

Post your questions! Tell us about the pot you have and what you want to make!
By the by, I'm not much of a cook either. But I love the pressure cooker because I can make one pot meals that actually taste good. But I can be lazy and I don't have to spend all my time in t b e kitchen!
Old 31-01-2017, 14:49   #5

Boat: Liberty 458

Pressure cookers work really well. Thermal cookers also work well. Here's how we use ours.

Pressure cooker is ideal for tenderizing and for large chunks of meat like a pot roast. This takes time say a couple of hours. Perfect succulent roast everytime. No chewy gristle or dirty oven to clean like you get with those wanky Jamie Oliver type recipes. Brown meat first.

If you section what you put in say to make a stew then the pressure cooker will tenderize and cook fast. Say 45 minutes for a beef stew.

You can also cook fish, cakes, etc although I've never bothered. Oven, frypan, bbq all work well for this.

The pressure cooker only beeds a burner turned way done once it's pressurized. If you have good adjustment on your burner there is no noticeable steam. If you see steam then turn the heat down.

For a roast I'll turn the pressure cooker off about 45 minutes before carving. Very efficient use of gas. We get 4+ months from a 5 gallon bottle and we cook every day.

We use our thermal cooker for curries, especially where tenderizing isnt necessary. We pack it, including the rice, and preheat before going to work then arrive home 6 - 10 hours later to a fantastic curry. Only consumes about 15 minutes of gas.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 15:46   #6

Thanks guys.

I just want to clarify that I haven't used my new pressure cooker yet.
I only read its menu, and watched the pressure cooker cooking videos of other models on YouTube, as I can't find any cooking videos with this brand apart from their marketing adv.

Here is my pressure cooker
Raymond Blanc Pressure Cooker | 20cm 5.5L stainless steel induction suitable cooker

I will try it and let you guys know how it goes.
Any recommendation of recipes to download. There are so many to choose.
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 16:01   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Aden, sometimes we leave the port over the stove cracked open when pressure cooking: this allows the steam to escape rapidly.

Sometimes, we do put it in the cockpit to cool down, before removing the weight.

Imho, they're great for cooking passage meals (one pot meals that you have have 2 or 3 days running, for your main meal of the day.)

As so a recipe, I'd suggest something from the manual that came with the PC, that appeals to you. Or, search on Seaworthy Lass's threads, she has one with many (mainly plant based) recipes, to which people contribute from time to time.

One guy I know who singlehands got himself a book called cooking with 5 ingredients, a collection of recipes with 5 ingredients (varying between recipes) exclusive of spices. At age roughly 60, he taught himself to cook, and as he developed competence came to enjoy it, so keep an open mind, it could happen to you.

Of course, our friend likes to eat!
Ann
Old 31-01-2017, 16:04   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
disappointed of my new pressure cooker

It's just like boiling water, I.E. a rolling boil is at exactly the same temp as barely boiling, so just enough heat to keep it hissing a little, any more is a waste of propane and heat and steam in the boat.
They are a time machine, turn hours of cooking into minutes, exact same principle as the pressure cap on a radiator, water under pressure boils at a higher temp.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:30   #9

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Take the PC home and practice at home. Once you get the hang of it, they're great. Not only faster and use less energy, but improves the flavor tremendously.

Try a corned beef or a chili with dried beans. There are also many cookbooks out there.

Lorna Sass is one of the PC gurus. Get her book: http://amzn.to/2kqWvoH
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:45   #10

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

I use one with a timer. Bring it up to pressure, turn down the heat so its pressured but not steming. The alsrm goes off and I take it ito the cockipit to relase the pressure. Why noy try a few things at home. You can satrt with potatoes and then build up your skills over time. I iahev one plus a Microwave and a slow cooker. the PC is my best tool, quick and conveniet. I do the whole meal in it. Mine is a Tefal CLIPSO CONTROL 4151 Pressure Cooker 4.5 l with vitamin basket
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:45   #11

There are also a great many pressure cooker threads on this forum, many of which are superb reading. Make up some pc bookmarks on your computer, too. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:49   #12

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Opened up the next email and lo and behold, the NY Times has section on Pressure Cooking.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/68861692...&nlid=26507561
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:58   #13

Been a while but as I remember we turned out stove down as low as it would go after getting things boiling. I don't remember any steam escaping, I thought that only happened if you were over pressurized...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:29   #14

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

We use our PC primarily for cooking beans and canning. Pour seawater over the lid to facilitate lowering the pressure without a great deal of steam.

The real fun comes when it jumps off the stove in heavy weather and starts shooting around the cabin spraying down the interior with your supper.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:40   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: disappointed of my new pressure cooker

Are you closing the steam release valve on top of the lid when cooking.. the only time steam should escape is when you flick it up to depressurise.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote