Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2020, 14:38   #1

Boat: Back Cove 33
Desperately seeking screw size

I have a Sailrite LSZ-1, the zig zag model and I’m in the middle of a project. The presser foot lift arm is held in place by 2 screws and a spacer. These have mysteriously gotten loose and fell off to parts unknown. So the presser foot won’t lift. The manual has these screws listed and their order number, but the size is not defined. So I called Sailrite to buy replacement set of screws. I, not quibbling at the price of several screws and spacers, but the shipping was going to be something out of sight, like $15.00. So before I spend $39.00 and wait a week to get 3 sets of these screws I thought I’d ask y’all if anyone can give me the screw size and length and what kind of head so maybe I can get them at the local hardware store and get on with my drapes. The Captain tried to fix it, and believes it might be metric.
Can anyone help me please?
Adiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 16:21   #2

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter, 24'
Re: Desperately seeking screw size

Will Sailrite not tell you what the screw size is on the phone? Get that and go shopping locally.

Is there another similarly sized screw from the sewing machine that fits the hole? A look at the parts list images from Sailrite might give you an idea of what other screws are the same size.

You could then take that screw to an auto parts store and see if they can match it.

I'm not sure where you are, but if you are in the United States you could try Fastenal.

Can you take the entire machine to a Fastenal? If it is a big enough store they will probably have the screw in stock. If it is only a smaller store, you can call them and they will tell you where a larger store is in the area.
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 20:35   #3

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

The only caveat to the Fastenal solution is that the screws may have a shoulder to reduce wear on some of the un-threaded parts.

These parts really should not be falling off the machine. Is the machine new?
If I were the guy taking the call, I would have tried to send out the screws and some blue Loctite as a token of customer appreciation.
Old 08-09-2020, 21:04   #4

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Try a sewing machine repair place. They're a pretty common Chinese walking foot machine.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, size