Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2014, 03:11   #16
35S

Re: Deep Fryer For A Yacht

Thank you Catcruiser I am looking at mid 50 - 60ft.

Have the shortlist down to 3 but am first going to go on each one and try and sail on each then take the final decision.
35S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 03:20   #17

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

The previous thread on this topic was utterly hilarious... So much that it spilled over into a gun thread and even made an appearance in an anchor thread. Sort of like, "which anchor is best to protect my boat while I am ashore hunting for game to cook up in my deep fryer?" Or which is more dangerous? Bad anchors? Guns on a boat? Deep fryer on a boat?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 05:19   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We've actually fried on a boat. A charter boat, in a gumbo pot with about 3 cups of oil. The fritters were delicious, but the cleanup was horrible!! And watching the oil move around in circles in the calm anchorage was unnerving at best. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 05:35   #19

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Since this has the tone of really getting interesting I would add that if the weight of the pot is a concern, your bow is way too close to the stern!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 07:35   #20

I have one and use it often, though we are 64 feet and staillzed. Google Emeril fryer.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 08:07   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi, Having read so many negative responses........my wife does fry on board and to date we have had no issues (we are cat sailors). She uses a dedicated pressure cooker as someone else has described. Its total nonsense to suggest that the weight shall overload a cruising cat. To stop oil splatter my wife uses a fine stainless steel mesh 'splatter stopper' that simply sits over the pot. It is a firm fit as I bent the edges down to form it. My wife also always uses the pot clamps on the stove. Yes, I know, thousands of you are going to reply about how dangerous it is - just as most of our friends told us not to go sailing as it was to dangerous, whilst others deem it to dangerous to get out of bed. So to clarify, we do not fry when the conditions suggest it could end badly; my wife when frying always wears a fireproof (long) apron and yes, she even fries when sailing - IF CONDITIONS ARE RIGHT. I should point out that my wife is a pretty competant sea chef after living aboard a cat for over ten years and many 10's of thousands of miles. The negative people remind me of someone (on this forum) who said they would never have a washing machine on board their boat. Hmmmmm....... just try having a family of six on board for years and you'll understand why when sailing in remote locations - without a landromat at the next destination. These same people also say you dont need a watermaker - pehaps in the Caribbean you don't, but try the Indian Ocean and see what happens.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 08:53   #22

Boat: Formosa/Peterson 46 Cutter

I made chile rellenos in the bay at Isla Partida on a rollicking bay with 6 guests. No one died. Saying that, I still think it's a bad idea. Your "in the appropriate time and place" would probably be at the dock." And I adore deep fried squid so I understand. At this point in time after 42 years at this game I would go out and order it now. I can't stand stinking up the boat. Oil disposal is a problem too.
19 and counting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 10:00   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why does it have to be at a dock? I do agree mono-hulls are more likely to move about than a cat and perhaps the advice is more appropriate to those owners. Most cruisers dont ever see a dock unless they are taking on diesel - unless they have bigger budgets than most long term liveaboard cruisers. We cruised our last cat for seven years and the cat before that for five years. Prior to that we were sailing mono-hulls. We are presently seeking our next cat for our next open ended cruise and we shall carry on frying as and when our stomachs and weather tell us. We sail cats as they fit us better and our philosophy is not to have to compromise with our desires - hence having a frier aboard (and washing machine and water maker). We also have an 'oil-less' deep fat frier which we can use when sufficient power is available. Its a Tefal Actifry and uses max 1400watts at 230v. It makes 1.5kg of fries whilst using 1 spoonful of oil. We also use it ashore. We can run it from our invertor (we had 750 watts of solar panels plus a D400 wind generator) but usually when running our little Honda 2000i portable generator. It can be used for frying just about anything except eggs!
Old 28-11-2014, 10:57   #24

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There, a deep fryer that will be moved around should have lard as its cooking ingredient. It sets hard in the fryer and is easy to move around. All good fish and chip shops use it instead of oil. I would recommend a wok to cook with on a boat, easy storage ,easy clean , easy deep fry, cant go wrong as you have gas. Been a chef for many years.........Ray
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 13:39   #25

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
............ Most cruisers dont ever see a dock unless they are taking on diesel - ............
Where did you find that "information"?
Old 28-11-2014, 13:49   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Ron,
Quite simply; experience. The exclamation marks were not paricularly polite.
Regards.
Old 28-11-2014, 14:51   #27

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We've actually fried on a boat. A charter boat, in a gumbo pot with about 3 cups of oil. The fritters were delicious, but the cleanup was horrible!! And watching the oil move around in circles in the calm anchorage was unnerving at best. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Deep frying with grease is just scary.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 15:33   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Grease? We use olive oil........
As cruisers, many items do double duty, cook with olive oil, make salad dressings from it etc etc.
Lard is a fat; see why it may be considered at:- 10 Reasons You Should Be Cooking With Lard We shall certainly investigate it further but can appreciate that it may not suit everyone.
Its interesting to note that the 'no' vote for frying on boards appear to be from monohull owners? Our oil (in the pan) certainly does not move around in unnerving circles. Anyhow, enough on this subject, we'll continue to enjoy our food and those who do not wish to fry can choose to take their food in their own manner.
Old 28-11-2014, 16:29   #29

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hi Ron,
Quite simply; experience. The exclamation marks were not paricularly polite.
Regards.
If you spend some time at marinas you would meet many cruisers there. I don't think your experience is as broad as it should be to be making statements like that.
Old 28-11-2014, 17:23   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ron, The subject has been hijacked - it was about frying on board.
I have been into many marina's - more than I like to recall, and these have been scattered around the globe. I have met many that call themselves cruisers within those marina's. Obviously your definition of being a cruiser and mine differ. The Collins dictionary states:
Cruise

verb

1. (intransitive) to make a trip by sea in a liner for pleasure, usually calling at a number of ports

I also appreciate that cruisers do use marina's -I certainly do for refuelling. Naturally, sometimes there are also few alternatives - however the statitics are available on-line for anyone to read about marina useage; most boats never leave their mooring/walk-on. This is common knowledge amongst experienced boat people, be they motor or sail. Most cruisers sail on a budget and therefore prefer to anchor rather than pay fee's for their stay. This information can also be found in any number of publications.

As for my experience - perhaps you are correct; after all, plenty of people have also undertaken two cirumnavigations and sailed more than 60,000 miles. Personally, I still believe that is reasonable cruising experience.

Having sailed pretty extensively, I am aware that the majority of the world does not even have marina's (yet) - experience has demonstrated this. Next year we shall be commencing our third circumnavigation, without any time frames and shall continue to anchor rather than use marina's just as we shall continue to fry when we wish.

I enjoy debating issues with people but when they start becoming objectionable and being personal then there is no point continuing. Some people just enjoy arguing whilst others use it as an exercise to learn. I have learnt this evening about using lard to fry so I have gained something from the postings.

I trust your day improves.

Kind regards.

Tags
yacht