Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2014, 17:41   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Deep Fryer For A Yacht

Lots of naysayers about deep fry but that is more personal bias vs fact.

Lots of boats deep fry and you can buy safe ones that easily drain into storage container
http://deep-fryers-review.toptenrevi...hi-review.html

My only caution is that if you enjoy getting into a pi$$ing contest as some of the posters have donr here..... Don't do it while deep frying. Blowback is a bitch.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 12:33   #32

Boat: Formosa/Peterson 46 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Why does it have to be at a dock? I do agree mono-hulls are more likely to move about than a cat and perhaps the advice is more appropriate to those owners. Most cruisers dont ever see a dock unless they are taking on diesel - unless they have bigger budgets than most long term liveaboard cruisers. We cruised our last cat for seven years and the cat before that for five years. Prior to that we were sailing mono-hulls. We are presently seeking our next cat for our next open ended cruise and we shall carry on frying as and when our stomachs and weather tell us. We sail cats as they fit us better and our philosophy is not to have to compromise with our desires - hence having a frier aboard (and washing machine and water maker). We also have an 'oil-less' deep fat frier which we can use when sufficient power is available. Its a Tefal Actifry and uses max 1400watts at 230v. It makes 1.5kg of fries whilst using 1 spoonful of oil. We also use it ashore. We can run it from our invertor (we had 750 watts of solar panels plus a D400 wind generator) but usually when running our little Honda 2000i portable generator. It can be used for frying just about anything except eggs!
Seeing as boating is our last resort for freedom of choice I would say whatever you want to do you should do it! You asked for opinions and you got some. That is why it's a fun forum. we all see things differently cause most of us think out of the box. We all have different tolerance levels to risk, smells, foods, weather, what have you. Just make sure you go and do it!
19 and counting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 13:12   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Thank you, you are correct - opinions are fine and should be allowed to be expressed without having to receive unnecessarily provocative personal comments. I see the forum as both fun and informative - I often pick up useful information and also believe in sharing the same. As to frying, we shall continue to do so, despite not owning a >50ft trawler!!
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 13:12   #34

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

absolutely right Tignum.....pressure cooker!
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 14:43   #35

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit

I second (or third, or fourth) using a pressure cooker with a spatter screen. Easy clean up, high sides, sealed oil storage... What's not to like?
How do you make fish tacos without a fryer? A stove top pan means a lot of spatter and oil disposal issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaliforniaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 15:09   #36

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

The bigger danger is eating what you fry. Kill ya way faster.

Seriously, I don't think a fat fryer is the greatest idea in a mobile environment, or one that could get bumpy. The burns are so danged nasty.
Old 19-01-2015, 15:10   #37

Boat: Valiant 40

Honestly, I love deep fried food, and am pretty good at it. Everything from fried chicken to calamari to falafel, etc.

But it's extremely rare that I make it on a boat. First is the oil storage issue, and then there is the energy issue, and finally comes the risk.

I have a fire blanket in my galley, but based on a few experiences working in a commercial kitchen as a youth, I simply hope that I never have to deal with a grease fire. They are absolutely horrific, spreading insidiously and difficult to put out. I really would not want to be dealing with one on a boat. I'll only attempt it at the dock, dead calm, and always attended.

But understanding that people are free souls and may do as they please, I will get a vicarious thrill out of seeing delicious photos of lightly fried foods prepared on boats in more exotic locals.

And yeah, I would go with the pressure cooker pot, shallow oil as you can, turning your food to cook it with a screen. And a fire extinguisher very close by.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 08:03   #38

Little FYI in mexico fish tacos are served in two fresh hot tortillas not fried.
Old 20-01-2015, 09:09   #39

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit

Yo se, pero el pescado esta frito. Hence the need for a deep fryer. That is, if they are made autentico. You can fry the fillets in a skillet, but it's messy.

Fried tortillas for a taco? Gross. The skillet is for warming corn tortillas. Generally Mexican recipes only call for frying tortillas to make chiliquiles, bunuelos, or just plain tortilla chips.

I can't make accent marks on this forum. Spanish looks weird without them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaliforniaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 11:18   #40

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

VF 414 | Cooking | Gaggenau I'm considering something like this to be installed with sinks and induction cooktop on a kimballed counter..
I enjoy cooking onboard and sometimes do also deepfrying when the weather is permitting. All gone well but never told to the skipper before it was served

ps. I sail mono's...
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 09:22   #41

I am always too hot in Mexico so we bbq what we can to keep the inside of the boat cooler, you can heat the tortillas on the top of the grill too. I love the deep fried fish but bbqed is healthier as long as you don't El Carbon them! We wrap them in foil sometimes. There's another health issue, is aluminum a safe cooking platform?
Old 21-01-2015, 09:36   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

There is a SOLAS 2000 standard for marine deep fat fryers........ just saying

Dave
Old 22-01-2015, 12:52   #43

Ultimate EZ Clean Pro - Deep Fryers - T-FAL USA

I use this one. It works great, has a splatter screen, and the oil drains through a filter into the storage container that can be slipped out ans stuck right in the fridge. If you filter and refrigerate the oil, you don't need that much over a long period of time.

I fry at the dock, since the thing takes a lot of juice to run, and I also don't trust stray wakes.

Health issues aside, it makes delicious fish! Happy Frying!
Liquid Courage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht