Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2011, 03:41   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Cruising Canada to Mexico - Will US Allow Us to Keep Canned Beef Aboard ?

On the lighter side I think a lot of food is cheaper in Washington, especially at the farmer's markets.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 13:00   #17

We're leaving from Victoria to go to San Francisco and beyond - I'm thinking we just may do most of our provisioning out of Port Angeles (where we're likely to check in), and then we won't have any issues. Although it's tempting to head straight to San Fran... Is there a clear list of limits of what we *can* bring?(say, alcohol, into the States?) I keep running around in circles in my searches.
Old 27-07-2011, 13:14   #18

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkyra View Post
We're leaving from Victoria to go to San Francisco and beyond - I'm thinking we just may do most of our provisioning out of Port Angeles (where we're likely to check in), and then we won't have any issues. Although it's tempting to head straight to San Fran... Is there a clear list of limits of what we *can* bring?(say, alcohol, into the States?) I keep running around in circles in my searches.
Try this web site from US Customs:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...3D%3D/search/1

Tab down a ways to get to the part about Canadian goods...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 13:20   #19

Thanks Michael! That's most helpful.
Cheers, Kyra
Old 27-07-2011, 13:36   #20

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hi Kyra... I would do most of my provisioning in Friday Harbor, Port Townsend or Port Angeles, particularly perishable and liquor. If you forget something other than alcohol, you can stop in Neah Bay out at Cape Flattery.
Newt is correct, price-wise... also alcohol is much less expensive as you go south. CA is cheaper than WA and Mexico is cheaper than anywhere (almost). Cheers and safe trip... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 13:41   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Contact Livia on Estrellita. They just arrived in Sausalito from Vancouver Island. She will have the up to date info on provisioning and clearing in. See the current thread "Southbound" for contact info.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 18:15   #22
cruiser

cruising kyra
I have found ita little difficult to get the goods also, with booze I plan to keep it pretty simple, couple of bottles of wine and maybe 1 of hard stuff, case of beer, and if problems no great loss. Get what we need there, no use carrying our expensive stuff there. I plan to have eaten any contraband beef and peppers and anything with a seed or a husk before arrival, boil up any leftover potatoes prior to arrival. Any fresh stuff will be kinda tired in 7 days anyway. I have read over what I can and like I said beef citrus nuts with a husk or seeds, eggs and milk also are high on the no go list. Can fill up on the specialty items, sour cream and garlics when we get there
When you planning to leave? We are hoping to leave early Sept.
Seabear
AquaticUrsidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 18:22   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i can see the reasoning behind fresh beef but not for canned meats of any kind. canned isnt gonna hurt the ecosystem or the farmers.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 18:24   #24

Sea Bear, we're also leaving in early September! Lots to do, but at last we have some warmer weather and sunshine!
Old 27-07-2011, 18:47   #25

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabear View Post
cruising kyra
I have found ita little difficult to get the goods also, with booze I plan to keep it pretty simple, couple of bottles of wine and maybe 1 of hard stuff, case of beer, and if problems no great loss. Get what we need there, no use carrying our expensive stuff there. I plan to have eaten any contraband beef and peppers and anything with a seed or a husk before arrival, boil up any leftover potatoes prior to arrival. Any fresh stuff will be kinda tired in 7 days anyway. I have read over what I can and like I said beef citrus nuts with a husk or seeds, eggs and milk also are high on the no go list. Can fill up on the specialty items, sour cream and garlics when we get there
When you planning to leave? We are hoping to leave early Sept.
Seabear
From US Customs Fax:
Quote:
"Food products from Canada, including pet food and fresh (frozen or chilled), cooked, canned or otherwise processed products containing beef, veal, bison, and cervid (e.g. deer, elk, moose, caribou etc.) are now permitted from Canada in passenger baggage. Products containing sheep, lamb, or goat will not be allowed entry.
The passenger must provide proof of the origin of beef, pork, poultry, cervid meat, and pet food in order to bring them into the United States. Examples of proof of origin include the grocery store receipt where the product was purchased or the label on the product indicating the province in which it was packaged."
In any event, I have found it is better to just jettison whatever is left over after a week or so while still 12 miles out from the port of entry - it is usually not much of a loss. For alcohol, the price does get substantially cheaper as you go south, so no real impetus for bringing "more than you might use" while underway to a port of entry...(I put it in quotes since I don't drink at all while underway)...

Michael

svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 10:13   #26
cruiser

So I can free range chickens and stew beef in my large pressure canner. Chickens go into a 2 liter container and beef stew into 1/2 liter jars. This is pretty nice when cruising in Canada as I can make up the fast comfort food with yummy meats. Anyhow what I have learned here and on the us customs site is that they will not allow this food because they don't know the origin of the meat. Too bad but not a huge problem. I can can the beef anywhere in my boat pressure cooker, but cannot do the 2 liter jars anywhere but at home, in our house. Good to know before you go and not have that nice stuff wasted.

Thanks for all info
Seabear
AquaticUrsidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 10:55   #27

i still cannot see where canned meats could possibly present a problem to the ecology and environment of any place. germs and such have been cooked out of the stuff and is perfectly clean. fresh stuff is another story.
Old 28-07-2011, 11:20   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i still cannot see where canned meats could possibly present a problem to the ecology and environment of any place. germs and such have been cooked out of the stuff and is perfectly clean. fresh stuff is another story.
I think the problem/concerns is with prion based diseases, which no amount of cooking or canning will kill, as they are protein based.
Old 28-07-2011, 11:25   #29

they are not gonna jump out of a can into another critter without a lot of help.
Old 29-07-2011, 12:21   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Take the word of a doc zee . Prions are infectious protein that you get from meat and you have them forever .They very bad in a bad sort of way. Main reason I don't like meat. Fish is good though .
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, cruising, canada, mexico