Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2016, 04:53   #1

Boat: Mustang 3200 LE
Cruising and Gluten Free

Will be cruising the South Pacific (Tahiti westwards), and was hoping somebody had a good gluten free bread recipe they wish to share. I am assuming that anything GF will be just as expensive if not more so (or even available in some locations) then home.

Cheers
Toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 05:09   #2

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Re: Cruising and Gluten Free

"Good" and "gluten free" don't go together.😆

I have tried all and given up.

Sent from my iPhone
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 05:17   #3

Boat: Mustang 3200 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
"Good" and "gluten free" don't go together.😆

I have tried all and given up.

Sent from my iPhone
True True...... So if you have "Given up" I will take that as you haven't succeeded in finding anything remotely reasonable then too..
Toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 05:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising and Gluten Free

Cassava flour.. I eat Johnny cakes made from this every time I'm in the Caribe.. delish..
Here's a link to recipe's..
https://www.pinterest.com/recipes/cassava-bread/

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 05:42   #5

In the South Pacific - you will not be seeing any wheat fields. I vote ditching the European diet of wheat altogether and go with the tubers or rice. Good luck with managing your celiacs.
Old 29-09-2016, 05:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

My experience in the Caribbean but from reading and chats with Pacific cruisers I think the situation will be quite similar there. Once you get away from the larger towns you will not find support for any specialized diets like gluten free bread. Small towns and island stores may have wheat flour but no way you will find gluten free or even whole wheat or anything more than plain white flour.

I agree that the best advise is to eat local foods and go for rice or other grains that you can bring and store on the boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 06:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising and Gluten Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
My experience in the Caribbean but from reading and chats with Pacific cruisers I think the situation will be quite similar there. Once you get away from the larger towns you will not find support for any specialized diets like gluten free bread. Small towns and island stores may have wheat flour but no way you will find gluten free or even whole wheat or anything more than plain white flour.

I agree that the best advise is to eat local foods and go for rice or other grains that you can bring and store on the boat.
Taro flour is.. like Cassava flour gluten free.. the Polynesians have been making it for centuries and it should be readily available in the stores out there.. food colouring optional..
Taro Bread & Rolls Recipe - Hawaiian Taro | Polynesian Cultural Center

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:01   #8

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Check out America's Test Kitchen web site https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...ee-flour-blend... they published a gluten free cookbook last year.
Old 29-09-2016, 12:54   #9

Boat: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

The gluten free recipes I have tried are all too complicated and don't turn out that well. I use the Glutino mix "Favorite Sandwich Bread." It always turns out perfect.
Capt Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 16:00   #10

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Packets of rice cakes make a viable alternative. Also try the various packet bread mixes until you find one that is acceptable. I have been GF for 30 years or so. It is necessary to accept that you will not duplicate wheat products with GF alternatives. Regards, Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 16:38   #11

Boat: Currently boatless

SV Convivia did that run a few years ago. They are sailing in a different neck of the woods now but they were GF then as well I believe. You might contact them via their website:

Global Circumnavigation: 2012 – Present – Forgeover
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 17:34   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I've done a lot of cooking & baking with brown rice flour. Never bread though. Corn is pretty versatile as well, as are the myriad of other grains out there. Even oat flour, & sprouted breads (made from sprouted grains).

Try sourcing information from Whole Foods typs stores, as they cater to exactly what you're asking about. And my other half found all kinds of the above when I gave up wheat for a while.

Wish I had a recipe or 3 for you, but cooking by eye is an old family tradition.

BTW, other than for sandwiches, you really don't need traditional "bread", so a lot of alternative items can be added to one's diet. Not that sandwiches on sprouted breat, or any other type of bread are bad. Just different. And are usually a lot more tasty & healthy to boot.

PS: Have you played around with grinding your own grains yet?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 02:14   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

We aren't gluten free but we are low carb. No rice flour for us! I have found that coconut flour with psyllium husk makes a decent bread with a texture similar to pumpkin bread. I suggest it because you use so very little coconut flour when making breads that a 5lb bag is more like a 50 lb bag in use. That means you can store quite a bit!
Almond four is also a good alternative to wheat and rice but not as dense as the coconut flour.

Ultimately we gave up chasing bread after our first year low carb. Funny enough, I don't miss bread over much. I miss the thought of bread and pasta but, in reality, when I have tred breads and pastas since we gave it up, I don't like it! I think it's a bit like eating cooked paste. Yes even the good stuff.

Life without bread is really ok! I just say that to reassure you that you won't starve. Not to suggest that you should give up bread, but life is just fine without it.
Old 30-09-2016, 16:27   #14

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

You might want to look into the company called Shar. They are from Italy and they have shelf stable breads that are shelf stable. The company also makes hundreds if other GF products. I sell them in my store in Montreal but you should be able to find them online in many countries.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising