Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2010, 10:20   #46

Boat: CT54
Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Are you making these roll-ups with raw fish? Does it cook thoroughly when fried inside the tortillas? This sounds delicious.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Yes I use raw fish but the fish cooks thoroughly while frying. Bass is readily available for approx. 65 pesos por kilo but any white fish would work. I cut the fish in strips of approx 1/2" thick and 3" long, roll them in the tortilla and then toothpick them. I pull the toothpicks out when I turn them so that it browns on all sides. It really is a easy recipe and people seem to love them.
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 11:22   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Prefer the Greeh style salads... chunky chopped tomato and cucumbers, sliced red onions, green peppers and black olives with a vinegar/olive oil/oregano dressing and chunks of Feta Cheese with warm bread.... scrummy.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 11:39   #48

Boat: KP 44
fish roll-ups

We had Jackiepitts fish roll-ups at last nights dock party. YUM!!
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 21:08   #49

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Not sure which islands you are having problem finding fresh basil and mozzarella but you can generally get them anywhere in the Spanish, US, and British Virgin Islands.

Would be very surprised if you could not get same almost where if your near a major town with a supermarket and the Caribbean is getting full of those... Price may be a different story... but not for items such as these
Believe me, I have sailed all the eastern Caribbean islands (except Barbados) many, many, many times over 25 years before heading to points farther west in 2008. We did minimum 12 weeks in the USVI and BVI annually for over 20 years; then moved on to points farther southeastern to visit all the other islands numerous times, before heading to the Pacific. Unless markets have changed drastically in the past 2 years, finding fresh basil and fresh mozzarella is next to impossible except in St. Martin and St. Barths, and that includes well-stocked Guadeloupe and Martinique. Try finding it on Bequia or Grenada or Union Island or Nevis or even Trinidad. And you can forget anywhere in Venezuela or Colombia. Never saw those in Panama either. Fresh herbs of any kinds are like gold. Heck, it was difficult enough to even find acceptable tomatoes most days on most of the Caribbean islands.

Produce in general was horrible and difficult to find on most islands. Guadeloupe, with its high avg rainfall and rich soil, is the exception -- but still couldn't find fresh mozzarella to go with those wonderful baguettes.

When we needed a major provisioning, we usually returned to the USVI where the selections of non-perishable items and quality of perishable were much better. Higher prices, but at least you could find normal foods. Anywhere else south of St. Martin (except for Guadeloupe), the fresh veggies sucked and were in short supply.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 21:15   #50

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
Yes I use raw fish but the fish cooks thoroughly while frying. Bass is readily available for approx. 65 pesos por kilo but any white fish would work. I cut the fish in strips of approx 1/2" thick and 3" long, roll them in the tortilla and then toothpick them. I pull the toothpicks out when I turn them so that it browns on all sides. It really is a easy recipe and people seem to love them.
Jackie
Thanks for the clarification, Jackie. We are in Malaysia and the fish here is sold with guts intact; same is also true in Indonesia. We refuse to buy fish that has been sitting un=gutted for who knows how long, so trying your recipe will have to wait until we catch a suitable fish. Definitely will be cooking this soon because it sounds wonderful.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:24   #51

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
"MY" Chicken cacciatore: (All in one pan, baked)

4-5 chicken thighs, Skinless is best. If they have skin you have to brown them first.
1 - 1 lb can of crushed tomatoes.
1 large yellow onion (Don't use Vidalia or sweet onions) sliced thin and separated into rings
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup olive oil (The best you can get as this makes the meal)
1/4 teaspoon each of Oregano, fresh basil, and parsley.
Salt & pepper to taste

Put the oil in a heated baking pan and throw in the garlic, do not let the garlic burn! heat for about 1-2 minutes only, mix all the time.
add the tomatoes and all other ingredients except onions and chicken, mix until combined.
Remove from heat
add the chicken and lay the onions on top.
cover the pan with aluminium foil and place in the oven (375F) for 2 hours.

I would guess this can also be done in a crock pot or a pressure cooker, but I have never used either.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:29   #52

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
This recipe sounds very tasty. I'm saving it for our next cruise.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:32   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entlie View Post
This recipe sounds very tasty. I'm saving it for our next cruise.

Entlie
Since I never measure anything this takes a lot less time to make then it does to write out.

Careful with the garlic, you only want to infuse the oil with the garlic taste. If you burn the garlic it will not taste good.

At a pot luck this can serve 3-5, at sea it serves ME.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:02   #54

Boat: looking
Chicken cacciatore

Have you tried adding rice to the mix?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:21   #55

Rice, blah! Use the tomato sauce over pasta!
I do like rice, but this is for pasta!

I'll give you another quick (no cook) pasta sauce.

1 can whole tomatoes (in basil is the best)
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves crushed garlic (use a crusher, it works best.)
1/4 teaspoon each of Oregano, and fresh basil.
Salt & pepper to taste

In a bowl, chop the tomatoes into smaller chunks.
add the rest of the stuff, mix well, let it sit for at least 15 minutes (while the pasta cooks)
serve over still hot spaghetti (Ronzoni #4 if you can find it any more).
This is great on a hot night. This should be enough for 2 lb of pasta. It keeps well too.
Old 04-11-2010, 14:43   #56

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
Thanks! I'll be careful. And the second sauce sounds good, too. Here's one I haven't made in a while:

Linguine with Lemon Clam Sauce
I have considered substituting chunks of freshly caught (firm) fish in this recipe, but haven’t tried it yet. Canned clams are good to have in a cruising pantry. This recipe halves easily.

½ cup (1 stick butter (divided)
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced (or onion)
2 cans (6 ½ oz. each) minced clams, drained and liquid reserved
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. parsley (fresh if you have it)
2 tsp. grated lemon peel
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 pound linguine, cooked and drained*
Grated parmesan cheese

Heat 3 Tbsp. butter and the olive oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Saute garlic and shallot until tender. Add the liquid from the clams, lemon juice, parsley, lemon peel, pepper and bay leaf. Simmer until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Remove bay leaf. Stir in clams; heat through but do not boil. Add remaining butter; stir. Pour over hot linguine; toss to coat. When serving, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

*We use Dreamfields, a lower carb pasta for less guilt. Comes in a black box. Can't tell the difference from traditional pasta.

Entlie
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 15:25   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
travellers pasta sauce

100 ml olive oil
1 onion
1/2 bulb garlic
200g tomato paste
chilli/tabasco
tsp oregano
salt pepper
red or white wine or water

chop onion& garlic finely,
saute in olive oil with out burning,
then add tom paste mix into oil,
add white wine or water if none available ,keep mix slightly runny,tho not wet
add chili to taste
add oregan
allow to thicken on low heat,add salt peper to taste.

enough for 500g pasta,cooked 8-10 mins al dente,usually use fusilli or shells ,drain pasta,then add all together.

also great if you can get choriso sausage to add to onion and garlic.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 15:40   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

castaways heart of palm salad.

first find one juvenile coconut palm,aprox 5ft high or 8 inches at the base.
chop off at root level,chop off leaves about 2 ft from base,split in half and remove soft yellowish heart meat.

should be left with something about the size of a large leek.
chop into salad bowl finely
add onion and garlic salt pepper,oregan,plenty olive oil and lemon juice ,toss
Old 04-11-2010, 15:53   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

castaways desert.

find germinating coconuts,these are the ones that have lost their husk and are just starting to sprout,shake,should be no water inside.

spilt nut,inside should be a white kernel ball, with a texture like sponge cake,delicious
Old 04-11-2010, 16:02   #60

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Believe me, I have sailed all the eastern Caribbean islands (except Barbados) many, many, many times over 25 years before heading to points farther west in 2008. We did minimum 12 weeks in the USVI and BVI annually for over 20 years; then moved on to points farther southeastern to visit all the other islands numerous times, before heading to the Pacific. Unless markets have changed drastically in the past 2 years, finding fresh basil and fresh mozzarella is next to impossible except in St. Martin and St. Barths, and that includes well-stocked Guadeloupe and Martinique. Try finding it on Bequia or Grenada or Union Island or Nevis or even Trinidad. And you can forget anywhere in Venezuela or Colombia. Never saw those in Panama either. Fresh herbs of any kinds are like gold. Heck, it was difficult enough to even find acceptable tomatoes most days on most of the Caribbean islands.

Produce in general was horrible and difficult to find on most islands. Guadeloupe, with its high avg rainfall and rich soil, is the exception -- but still couldn't find fresh mozzarella to go with those wonderful baguettes.

When we needed a major provisioning, we usually returned to the USVI where the selections of non-perishable items and quality of perishable were much better. Higher prices, but at least you could find normal foods. Anywhere else south of St. Martin (except for Guadeloupe), the fresh veggies sucked and were in short supply.

Judy
S/V BeBe

Things have changed...

BVI has a new RiteWay that is very much like a large city US Supermarket, full of all the fresh herbs you can think of and a Deli that makes New Yorkers think they are home.

Even St. John has the Starfish Market which is just a short walk away from the docks. Small but all upper scale stuff including a large deli. St Thomas is now full of lots of places, some very near or IN major marinas, such as Crown Bay.