Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2017, 09:11   #1

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36
Crab/Lobster Pot Options (cooking, not catching)

Currently, I have a SS fagor pressure cooker, which is not big enough to fit crustaceans properly. Considering going to a larger pressure cooker so I have a larger pot to cook crustaceans (a preferred staple of my diet) and pressure can beans and etc once every two weeks or right before a passage.

Has anyone done this? How do people handle this? Any hacks to get the most out of our two burner stovetop with a larger canner?

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 17:36   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Crab/Lobster Pot Options (cooking, not catching)

Meanderthal,

We have a cheap s/s Dutch Oven pot, it is about 11" diameter, and that is what we've cooked the bugs in. It does not fit well on the burner, at that size, and little room for a pot on the other one (if you like them on rice, or want to have a cooked green, etc.) If you get a canning pressure cooker, it will also take up a lot of room on your stove.

Maybel, small diameter pot such as are sold for cooking asparagus vertically could be a useful addition to the pots and pans, when you have a 2 burner stove, and need to cook two things at once. I'd suggest measuring, and then see what you can find. If there are any thrift shops where you are now, look there, too, you never know--one man's junk is another's treasure, and sometimes, good stuff gets donated, even though it goes right away, too.

Ann

Ann
Old 08-12-2017, 18:32   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

We use our 6 quart fagor for dungeness. Works great. What type of crab are you cooking?
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 19:32   #4

Thanks Ann.

@Excalibur5 Heh...king. I exaggerate, we do cook up king crab, but mostly dungies. The problem is quantity. We eat a lot of crab! Also, my 6 quart Fagor is great for pressure cooking, but it doesn't have enough head room for canning.

turtletraveling.com
Old 08-12-2017, 19:33   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

Not sure why you need a pressure cooker to cook crab. An inch or two of water in the bottom of a pot with a rack to stop them from burning on the bottom (or a little more water does the trick or stirring occasionally) and 7 min once the water boils and they’re done with the lid on and with fresh sea water of course to keep the steam in and meat firm. Same goes for clams oysters shrimp etc. They don’t need to be cooked for hours at high temp ie pressure fully submersed in water.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 19:39   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Not sure why you need a pressure cooker to cook crab. An inch or two of water in the bottom of a pot with a rack to stop them from burning on the bottom (or a little more water does the trick or stirring occasionally) and 7 min once the water boils and they’re done with the lid on and with fresh sea water of course to keep the steam in and meat firm. Same goes for clams oysters shrimp etc. They don’t need to be cooked for hours at high temp ie pressure fully submersed in water.
don't need a pressure cooker its just the biggest pot that most cruisers carry . So multi purpose. ( I carry a 12qt pressure canner that does all up to 15 psi )
Old 08-12-2017, 19:42   #7

The idea would be a big pot--lid off, cook crab per normal. Lid on--do the canning I'd normally do but haven't been able to do since I got my first 'boat-sized' PC.

I have a spot for up to a 21 qt. Two issues keep me from buying a bigger PC. One--burner space. I have a fairly large 2 burner stove/oven, but... Two--although I know I can make the space, I'm not sure exactly where I want to put something that big.

turtletraveling.com
Old 08-12-2017, 20:08   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
The idea would be a big pot--lid off, cook crab per normal. Lid on--do the canning I'd normally do but haven't been able to do since I got my first 'boat-sized' PC.

I have a spot for up to a 21 qt. Two issues keep me from buying a bigger PC. One--burner space. I have a fairly large 2 burner stove/oven, but... Two--although I know I can make the space, I'm not sure exactly where I want to put something that big.
12qt is plenty big enough will hold 6 or 7 qt jars ( I find pints better for salmon and tuna.) next is a coleman camp stove to can with. Holds the pot and can be done on the beach. ( get the multi fuel one. Burns gasoline) quite well with plenty of btu's. Mine tops out at 10k on the big burner.)
Old 08-12-2017, 20:08   #9
rbk

Get the bigger PC and get a propane burner for shore and dock use for canning (could be used on deck or cockpit at anchor but use a thermal break underneath). Burner takes up no room and can use your existing tank. Find storage for the larger PC put the burner and hose inside along with all your canning stuff for transport and storage. Use regular pot for everyday crab cooking or can even use a fry pan with lid and water to steam one to two dungie at a time of you break them up.
Old 08-12-2017, 20:12   #10

It's all trade offs. Pressure cookers really shouldn't be used for canning as you are unsure how much pressure is inside. Pressure canners with gauge is the way to go. That being said, many do can in them, you just have to use smaller jars that fit. Be careful though, botulism is bad news.

For dungies I can cook 4-5 at a time in the 6 quart fagor, just cleaned and split in half. I do pressure cook the crab. High pressure for 7-8 minutes with natural release. Use about 1-2 inches of water in the bottom to steam them this way. Side benefit is it minimizes the smell in the cabin this way.
Old 08-12-2017, 20:22   #11
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur5 View Post
Side benefit is it minimizes the smell in the cabin this way.
This is why I absolutely forbid crab to be eaten onboard, it ends up everywhere. I’ll cook it onboard but it get eaten on deck or dock unless it’s been shelled. I don’t eat very much anymore and one a year is my limit eaten plain. Shelled and vaccum sealed for putting on steak, dips eggs or a light snack.
Old 08-12-2017, 20:42   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's all trade offs. Pressure cookers really shouldn't be used for canning as you are unsure how much pressure is inside. Pressure canners with gauge is the way to go. That being said, many do can in them, you just have to use smaller jars that fit. Be careful though, botulism is bad news.

For dungies I can cook 4-5 at a time in the 6 quart fagor, just cleaned and split in half. I do pressure cook the crab. High pressure for 7-8 minutes with natural release. Use about 1-2 inches of water in the bottom to steam them this way. Side benefit is it minimizes the smell in the cabin this way.
I actually have one of those rare ones that have a rocker that will hold either 5 psi, 10 psi, or 15 psi depending on how you place the rocker weight.
Old 08-12-2017, 21:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I actually have one of those rare ones that have a rocker that will hold either 5 psi, 10 psi, or 15 psi depending on how you place the rocker weight.

Yeah, I am mainly thinking of the fagor Duo pressure cooker I have, which is regulated with a spring unit.

I actually spoke with the cooperative extension agent here about this very topic this spring. As I understand it, when pressure canning you want a canner with a gauge. The gauge also needs yearly calibration checks. The reason is because even with the weighted rockers you just can't be sure you are reaching the proper pressure (and thereby temperature) to safely kill botulism spores. That being said I'm sure the weights are more accurate than the spring regulator I have.

This is especially important when canning low acid foods like meats.
Old 08-12-2017, 21:57   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, I am mainly thinking of the fagor Duo pressure cooker I have, which is regulated with a spring unit.

I actually spoke with the cooperative extension agent here about this very topic this spring. As I understand it, when pressure canning you want a canner with a gauge. The gauge also needs yearly calibration checks. The reason is because even with the weighted rockers you just can't be sure you are reaching the proper pressure (and thereby temperature) to safely kill botulism spores. That being said I'm sure the weights are more accurate than the spring regulator I have.

This is especially important when canning low acid foods like meats.
yep that's very true and 15 psi is the pressure/ temperature that is recommended by the USDA for canning beef,chicken or pork.
One more thing as to storage I have my 6qt knife of my 12qt take the handles off and it fits lid and all.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:51   #15

You guys are the best. Such good perspectives and info.

turtletraveling.com

Tags
cooking