Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2011, 14:12   #76

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Cost of living indicator for cruisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
one secret with buying minced meat: you select a cut you like (for the estimate I assumed an inexpensive cut), then give it to the meat department or the butcher to mince.
Something I have always wanted to do but Butchers in Oz reckon its inefficient as you leave 1/2 a kg + of product inside the mincer and wont do it.

I bought my own mincer for this purpose.
Old 28-12-2011, 14:15   #77

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Something I have always wanted to do but Butchers in Oz reckon its inefficient as you leave 1/2 a kg + of product inside the mincer and wont do it.

I bought my own mincer for this purpose.
Added advantage is you can do your own fishcakes and berley.... Same as bread do it yourself is fantastic.
Old 28-12-2011, 17:35   #78

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
I counted about 47 TRY (24.5 USD) on Turkish mainland.

But that assumes veggies bought at a market, UHT milk, and one secret with buying minced meat: you select a cut you like (for the estimate I assumed an inexpensive cut), then give it to the meat department or the butcher to mince. This way you know that it's fresh and it's much less expensive than already minced meat. And you can also combine beef and lamb for some tasty meatballs or burgers.
That is the only way one can purchase beef or lamb mince here on TRNC. I have not seen any pre-packaged mince of any kind, whether in butcher shops or supermarkets. You pick out the meat first and then it is minced for you.

I still am not convinced that the minced beef and potatoes are that inexpensive in Thailand as the other person posted. Beef in Thailand cost considerably more than 43 US cents per kilo when we were there last year. And potatoes also cost more than 15 cents per kilo, whether in supermarkets or roadside veggie stands or night markets.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 17:49   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
That is the only way one can purchase beef or lamb mince here on TRNC. I have not seen any pre-packaged mince of any kind, whether in butcher shops or supermarkets. You pick out the meat first and then it is minced for you.

I still am not convinced that the minced beef and potatoes are that inexpensive in Thailand as the other person posted. Beef in Thailand cost considerably more than 43 US cents per kilo when we were there last year. And potatoes also cost more than 15 cents per kilo, whether in supermarkets or roadside veggie stands or night markets.

Judy
Judy im going to run this thread over the next couple of years i think ill change it to "1kilo cheap beef or a cleaned chicken as i think the values here in Australia would be similar" i just want to see the feedback on this thread then i'll change it to be more usable.
Also i'll average the values if from similar areas.
I like the responses so far it's giving me a handle on living costs however it's in the bays, marina's and anchorages that makes it relevant not so much the info from cities etc as the internet covers them quite well already...
The costs in Turkey were surprisingly cheap! Cheers Frank
Old 28-12-2011, 18:02   #80

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Judy im going to run this thread over the next couple of years i think ill change it to "1kilo cheap beef or a cleaned chicken as i think the values here in Australia would be similar" i just want to see the feedback on this thread then i'll change it to be more usable.
Also i'll average the values if from similar areas.
I like the responses so far it's giving me a handle on living costs however it's in the bays, marina's and anchorages that makes it relevant not so much the info from cities etc as the internet covers them quite well already...
The costs in Turkey were surprisingly cheap! Cheers Frank
Why don't you keep minced beef and add a cleaned chicken as minced beef is a good way to value a cheap cut of beef.

useful thread,

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 18:09   #81

Boat: 33ft sloop
Re: Cost of Living Indicator for Cruisers.

The matter is who is a disciplined eater and who is not. The whole of US of A consumes 40% of the total world production of food. 350-something million against the rest of the world. Look at that.
80 grs meat per day is more than enough. You could do with one to two kilo' s of nutrician depending of your use of calories and the work you do. Two meals a day are sufficient.

Living at sea burns a lot of calories and you eat probably twice as much as on land.

My need for food rises when I am on board. Specifically hot food. So, food is an important issue.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 18:10   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Why don't you keep minced beef and add a cleaned chicken as minced beef is a good way to value a cheap cut of beef.

useful thread,

cheers
Yep may as well leave it in there i agree. Cheers
Old 28-12-2011, 18:20   #83

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:

Judy
We'll be back in Krabi in a couple weeks and I can give you some specific prices (very local, non tourist stores), but I can tell you his total costs are about right. We pay on average I'd say 25-33% of US prices in Thailand for food. No big savings of fuel, but certainly on food. Although I have to say beef and potatoes are not a good choice for comparisons since they are not part of the normal diet. Rice and chicken or pork would be better.
Old 28-12-2011, 18:23   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
We'll be back in Krabi in a couple weeks and I can give you some specific prices (very local, non tourist stores), but I can tell you his total costs are about right. We pay on average I'd say 25-33% of US prices in Thailand for food. No big savings of fuel, but certainly on food. Although I have to say beef and potatoes are not a good choice for comparisons since they are not part of the normal diet. Rice and chicken or pork would be better.
Thats true in Asia, however the intent was to have something that gave an indication of western style costs being able to compare apples with apples (lol) knowing full well that more local Asian would naturally be cheaper. cheers
Old 28-12-2011, 18:37   #85

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Thats true in Asia, however the intent was to have something that gave an indication of western style costs being able to compare apples with apples (lol) knowing full well that more local Asian would naturally be cheaper. cheers
Well, I guess I see you point but wouldn't you want to buy and eat what's available locally instead of items that may be available but imported, i.e. more expensive. For us cruising is about experiencing the local culture and cuisine not trying to eat and live western style everywhere we go. Where the beef and potatoes are good and reasonably priced we eat them; otherwise, we adjust to the local fare.
Old 28-12-2011, 18:49   #86

Boat: 33ft sloop

Quote:
Well, I guess I see you point but wouldn't you want to buy and eat what's available locally instead of items that may be available but imported, i.e. more expensive. For us cruising is about experiencing the local culture and cuisine not trying to eat and live western style everywhere we go. Where the beef and potatoes are good and reasonably priced we eat them; otherwise, we adjust to the local fare.

That' s the right way to go. It means that you are able to adapt your style of living.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 19:08   #87

Quote:
As Cat-man-do pointed out by giving the Macca comparison its all about comparing 'apples with apples'.

I totally agree with adapting to whats available however as one post pointed out regarding Maple Syrup some people don't change! No criticism intended.

As this is a new thread what might be an idea is for us to have the fuel first petrol and diesel, then 6 local staples then 6 western staples that way it solves the diet change question. All i'm after is something basic/simple so we can at a glance see the comparisons.
They will have to be basic staples otherwise the thread will drift to diets etc .....Cheers
Old 28-12-2011, 21:44   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
4 litres Gas + 4 litres Diesel =

8 liters x $1.28= $10.24

Marine Diesel is higher here. So just a rough estimate.

Those are Vancouver prices. You would not believe what you pay in the small community on the North Coast I live in.

Happy New year and good luck with the Math :-)
Your right, of course. First of all I did not combine both gas and diesel, and secondly, I was thinking in terms of per liter, not for 4 of each. Ahhh...hate it when I get brain farts!

I can only guess, but there are parts of rural and northern Alberta, where gas is out of sight also.
Old 29-12-2011, 15:21   #89

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

FWIW, I checked with friends who are currently cruising the area south of Phuket. Last week he paid $5.79 USD per kilo for the usual 'chunk of pork' but did not know the price for mince beef because that isn't something he normally buys.

One thing that no one has mentioned is that in most of SE Asia one cannot find normal cuts of meats. Throughout Malaysia we found cuts of beef sold as 'beef block' or 'beef knuckle' or beef mince. Those were the ONLY cuts of beef sold. What we wouldn't have given for butchers who knew how to butcher.

Like most people (I would assume), we eat a lot of chicken instead of beef.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 00:50   #90

Quote:
FWIW, I checked with friends who are currently cruising the area south of Phuket. Last week he paid $5.79 USD per kilo for the usual 'chunk of pork' but did not know the price for mince beef because that isn't something he normally buys.

One thing that no one has mentioned is that in most of SE Asia one cannot find normal cuts of meats. Throughout Malaysia we found cuts of beef sold as 'beef block' or 'beef knuckle' or beef mince. Those were the ONLY cuts of beef sold. What we wouldn't have given for butchers who knew how to butcher.

Like most people (I would assume), we eat a lot of chicken instead of beef.

Judy
Lol got two chooks in the oven now!!! Yet when i was a kid it was a treat to have roast chicken....Times change. :-)
Happy New Year to u and crew.......