Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 16:20   #1

COOKN LIKE a SAILOR

Hey all,
I am trying to get into the mode of saving $$$$ for my families cruising adventure. One way is beginning to (some what) eat like we are cruising. Thus I am looking for your input on recipes. I have found a couple of websites that have helped but thought you salts might have some input.

I saw the forum under Provisioning that has a Thread for Vegan yum yums while this is helpful we are a fish, bacon and sausage kind of family... making the change to get out there and sail away! Thoughts and recommendations welcomed. Many thanks, Murelyn
murelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:34   #2

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: COOKN LIKE a SAILOR

Don't forget cheeseburger. I too am a meat lover but have learned to love beans. For years I wouldn't eat them because well you know but then I learned that I needed to slowly add them to my diet. Your stomach needs time to develop the fauna to digest them. That said I always cook my beans with meat. The other day I cooked pinto beans and sausages and I know you probably won't believe it but I swear the pinto beans tasted even better than the sausage. I would also highly recommend a pressure cooker (fagor brand).Not just for cooking beans , it saves on fuel , time , heats up the cabin less and if it's ever thrown off the stove it will keep the food contained.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 16:19   #3

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

I did the same--cooking like a sailor--with the notion I'd be able to reduce the volume of provisions I loaded onto the boat. * roll eyes * The recipe practice certainly helped, but I was WAY too enthusiastic about provisioning when we first moved aboard. Also, I'd delayed and delayed on getting a pressure cooker again bc I didn't know how small (or big) I could go. (My previous one was for canning and I could have pressure canned a flock of chickens in that thing--it was HUGE.)

1. Buy a cheap pressure cooker in a smaller size to get started, browse hippressurecooking.com,
2. cook beans and whole grains ten thousand ways,
3. practice dialling in recipes for the least amount of leftovers
4. keep track of the top ten recipes you use--your eating pattern won't change much without retraining
5. if you eat a lot of ribs now, and WON'T have a freezer aboard, figure out the source of protein. Canned products? Will you canned products? Cured products? Dried products? Fresh when you can and fish when you catch them?
6. If you plan on processing foods, think about what happens to that equipment before and after--can you reduce the bulk + is the appropriate hygiene achievable? People often forget how little stowage, energy, and water they'll have, and how much is used to clean and can.
7. Have fun! Provisioning is 100% a great rewarding lifeling hobby. People I know catch fresh, brew, ferment, pickle, dry, salt-cure, make jerky, can, and smoke-cure, construct boat root cellars, and freeze provisions for their boat life. I am a rank amateur in comparison but enjoy the attempts ;-).

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 17:02   #4

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Not quite sure what you're looking for, but happy to help out if you can expand on your question. I say that because we cook 3 meals a day aboard Rocinante and there is no difference between how we cook aboard and how we cooked at home.

As a matter of fact, we just finished a lovely dinner of linguine and clam sauce!
Old 04-05-2017, 18:14   #5

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Cruisers save money on food mainly because they can shop in countries where food is really inexpensive (and fresher) and also there is far less pre-packaged and highly processed food items that cost a premium
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail