Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2009, 21:35   #1

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Condiments on Board?

To save space in the fridge we are considering foregoing bottles/jars of condiments and utilizing "packets" heres our list.

Ketchup
Mustard (Dijon)
Relish
BBQ (chipotle, honey)
Mayo
Jelly (strawberry, grape, mixed berry)
Soy
Worcestershire
Sour Cream
Cream Cheese
Salad Dressing (five different types)
Hot Sauce
Malt Vinegar
Honey
Sweet and Sour

All have 2-3 yr shelf life and we have a storage space for them on a "new" shelf in the bilge. Anyone try this approach?
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 22:21   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
I considered that, preparing to head out for an extended period with no refrigeration, but I was concerned about all that packaging.

I've canned small jars of jam which should not go bad before used. Up side to that is I can reuse the jars(hopefully with interesting fruit found in Mexico), down side, I have to store the empty jars. There is another posting regarding cruising without refrigeration that has a lot of good ideas.
Cyndimarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 22:39   #3

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Thanks -

We have refrigeration and a freezer - we just want to reduce the number on bottles and jars in the fridge -
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 16:01   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Anything that has 2-3 year shelf life has the amount of chemistry in it that will make it last 10 years. Just to avoid consumers' suing.

You will become immortal and glowing in the dark.

We found plastic packages better to glass - but not that they break or something, but we hate the noise the glass will make. Next comes that once open everything goes bad - so smaller packages preferred to mass storage.

We do not like using the bilge for anything that can (and so it will) break - it is all vertical on our boat and if one thing leaks or breaks then the rest gets smeared all the way down. Yakies.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 19:36   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i use the jars in my formosa without fridge--the only thing needing fridge is mayo--and best foods/hellmans lasts 1 week without, when in a cool place in boat--i buy the small squeeze jars of mayo. the rest i keep in my galley without problem. i also use sweet chili sauce--is thai and wonderful!!!
cream cheese is best in winter.
salad dressings i make myself and keep for long time--donot need fridge unless creamy style and i donot use those. vinegar and olive oil are fine without fridge. sour cream is rotten milk--how much more rotten can it get besides moldy--keeps 3 days max in winter. 1/2 and 1/2 lasts 4 days in winter and 2 days in summer in san diego...i donot do relish so i have no way to let you know how long it lasts !
ketchup, mustard, soy, worcestershire, bbq and hot sauce live forever---keep in cool dark place--i keep mine behind sink in galley.....i have lived on board since 1990 and have never had fridge! i find i donot need one--i am a reallly goood cook, also, according to my friends ..... they keep coming over when i cook and havent died yet--neither have i!!!!

i find the packets most inconvenient for making tuna salad or anything but a single sammich----
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 20:07   #6

Boat: Freedom 32
Zeehag - Mayo will keep without refrigeration. The secret is not to contaminate it. We use a clean knife or spoon to dip it out and shake it off without touching anything. A jar will last us a couple months this way.
Old 27-08-2009, 20:24   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Star View Post
Zeehag - Mayo will keep without refrigeration. The secret is not to contaminate it. We use a clean knife or spoon to dip it out and shake it off without touching anything. A jar will last us a couple months this way.
mayo made by best foods and helmans has eggs in it--i donot trust egg stuff more than one week....gets deadly without contamination.....so i just buy small jars and squeeze bottles of it and use once to twice in summer and then use jars for screws and nuts in my tool room.....in winter i keep it longer...but i wont keep longer--i watched as folks got sick by a gal i know feeding us old mayo --she kept hers that long and poisoned us--eggs in substances do no tlast long--not just from salmonella,but they rot.....not good ....is why i use the practice i do.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 05:09   #8

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We have lived aboard for over a year, we only have an ice box so we also utilize packets as much as possible. However, there are some things we just can not get in a packet. ie. certain kinds of hot sauce and mustards for instance. We have not tried salad dressing in packets and will have to look at that. By the way Mayo does not have to be refrigerated, we have not refrigerated in over a year and no problems. You can not touch the mayo, or it will become contaminated, it's like a big petri dish. So we just buy the squeeze bottle, packets work well also, just harder to get. With that said, anytime you are storing foods without real refrigeration you need to be prudent about handling and sanitation.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 05:16   #9

Boat: Freedom 32
The Mayo myth is debunked in numerous articles. Here is one: http://dhs.wisconsin.gov/fsrl/pubs/Handouts/mayo.pdf
Old 28-08-2009, 05:32   #10

Boat: Lagoon 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Star View Post
we agree, there are a lot of things that don't really need refridge as long as you don't cross contaminate it. Mustard, mayo, even butter do just fine.I think manufacturers recommended refridge to avoid the "sue me, sue you blues"
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 06:40   #11

We bought several of the clear squeeze top bottles (ketchup) from a restaurant supply store. They cost about .50 each and come in different sizes. The ones sold in these supply stores seem much more robust than those sold in kitchen chain stores. We also recycle the squeeze bootles that jelly and mayo are now packaged. This allows us to avoid the contamination issue (no knife or finger in the jar) and get rid of bulky glass. We've found it cheaper to buy in glass containers and repackage to plastic ( a little messy but cost effective). Leave the glass at the dock when needed and possible.
Roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 06:59   #12

My wife is Vietnamese/French raised in Saigon and has spoiled me as far as food preparation is concerned. She makes mayo from scratch with egg and olive oil. All you need is a little time to sit there and whip it with a fork. Sailing typically allows plenty such time. It beats the hell out of anything you can buy in a jar.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote