Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 10:42   #1

Boat: Bayfield 40
Condensation on top of fridge cover

For the first time, I'm getting lots of condensation on the cover of my Alder Barbour fridge/freezer. Actually, from the end covering the freezer.

I have done all the basic stuff: replaced gaskets and insulation in the lid, the lid fits tight enough to pass the paper test, and I have an insulating cover inside, over the food.

I am in FL so understand that warm temps and humidity play a roll, but I am in FL and Bahamas every winter and condensation has never been this bad. Covering the top with a towel just leaves a very wet towel.

Any ideas???
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:44   #2

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: Condensation on top of fridge cover

Have you checked the hinge for leaks? You can't do the paper test, so I other than your hand and moving the towel around, I don't really have any better suggestions.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:47   #3

Actually, I did think of something - is it possible that the insulation in the lid is disintegrating?
Old 04-12-2015, 10:59   #4

Boat: Bayfield 40

Lid insulation is new. And hinges are an obvious issue so I have a separate strip of insulation inside fridge under the hinges.
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknowland View Post
Lid insulation is new. And hinges are an obvious issue so I have a separate strip of insulation inside fridge under the hinges.
Well, sad to say, it is often the most recent change that causes a new problem.

Hopefully someone else will come along to offer you more productive advice.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:15   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have the same problem, but mine is I'm sure inadequate insulation in the top of the fridge.
Only fix for mine I'm sure is adding insulation.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:31   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Not an answer to your question but something like this will help pinpoint just where hot and cold spots are. There are a few other devices like this you can buy that attach to a cell phone and function in a similar manner. Probably can rent/borrow one as well.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 13:56   #8

We had a similar problem with our frig unit - after troubleshooting all possible leaks, there was still condensation at times on the top surface. Ours appears to be primarily the result of the Corian countertops (which has to be one of the stupidest materials ever used on boats; the manufacturer had to put 300 lbs of lead-shot ballast on the opposing hull to counterbalance the added weight in the galley).

Our solution (which has worked well for the last 10 years) is to use a bathroom throw rug on the surface above the refrigerator/freezer area. After purchasing and testing several different kinds, the best we've found is the type of rug with a solid rubber non-skid bottom and short pile. The rubber bottom keeps the moist air from coming in contact with the cooler Corian and, thus, prevents it from condensing; the top pile helps with meal preparations underway by offering a safe place to put plates/pans that stops them from skittering around. Added bonus is that the rug is easy to just toss in the laundry when it gets soiled.

I know, it is not an elegant engineering solution to address the root cause, but it does work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6079.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	114320  
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 14:12   #9

Boat: Bristol 29

Can you feel cold air or a cold spot? The wet-towel sounds strange - is it possible something is leaking?
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 15:18   #10

Usually it's sealing issue. I had a similar problem . I've installed a small fan for circulation (took a bit if tuning ) and now no more condensation and the fridge is working at least 30% better .

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Quintessa41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 15:19   #11

Usually it's sealing issue. I had a similar problem . I've installed a small fan for circulation (took a bit if tuning ) and now no more condensation and the fridge is working at least 30% better .

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Quintessa41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:55   #12

Send a message via ICQ to LByers

I went through this on my Passport 40 and ultimately used a thick yoga mat to cover the area. Good luck.
RPBA Instructor
www.professionalyachtdelivery.com
LByers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:11   #13

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

In Miami it's been raining for practically a week straight. My Engle while not super insulated only and always has condensation when the humidity is super high. If you do choose to put an insulator on the lid make sure it can absorb moisture and change frequently or mold will grow between it and the lid.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:01   #14
Marine Service Provider

When the temperature Delta T exceeds 7 degrees anywhere between box’s exterior temperature and boats interior temperature condensation will form. Lack of insulation on refrigerator counter top is easy to improve by placing a moisture proof insulating material on counter top above refrigerator area. The best way to reduce heat loss in freezer section is by filling quart size Zip-lock bags half full of foam packing peanuts and using them to fill air space above freezer food and lid. A leaking lid seal is more likely to cause frost inside top of box first.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:28   #15

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

The ziplock bag foam peanut idea, should work, basically the condensation is only due to the temperature of the outside surface being below the temperature that the humidity in the air will condense, nothing else. The only thing that can cause that might be an air leak that lets cold air cool the surface or not enough insulation for the temperature difference between outside and inside temp. Have you turned down the temp inside the freezer, or is something else causing it to be colder? You might check the temp inside the freezer to see if it is colder. We have had a lot of rain this year in Florida, so the humidity might be higher than normal. If you add insulation on top such as the throw rug, it would be best to have a vapor barrier on the top surface of the rug, the towel you talk about adds insulation, but the humidity can still travel through the towel to get to the cold surface and soon you have the wet rug, which also no longer has any good insulation. You could add a plastic sheet above the dry towel and that should not let the moisture get to the cold surface under the towel.

Tags
condensation