Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 10:25   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Cold brewed coffee

There are multitudes of methods for dosing your system with a caffeine hit, but this has to be the very best way of producing a perfect iced coffee for those hot, hot summer days.

Morning routines on board include angling the solar panels to catch those early rays, turning off anchor lights, filling the ice tray, and most important of all making up a batch of cold brew for the day .

Not a substitute for a morning cuppa, but a smooth icy drink for when the temperature starts to skyrocket. The flavours magically linger on your tongue in a way chilled hot coffee doesn't.

The technique couldn't be easier:
• Pop cold water and ground coffee into a big glass jar in a ratio of 8:1 by volume and leave sitting for 24 hours (I use 4 cups of water : 1/2 packed cup coffee).
• Shake occasionally in the early stages if you remember.
• Filter through a paper coffee filter into a 750 ml bottle. Most of the grains remain at the bottom if you pour carefully, speeding up the process, as the filter blocks less. This can take some time.

Edited to add: Also works well just carefully straining with a fine tea strainer, stopping before the heavy sediment is contacted. Let that settle half an hour or so, decant again, leaving the tiny amount of sediment undisturbed. Dead easy, no mess, no fuss and indiscernible from the carefully filtered brew.

• Seal and refrigerate.
• Use the rest to fill an ice cube tray.
• Make up a batch for the next day .
• Pour over ice. Can be sipped black, or add a dash of milk or cream. Add a bit of sugar if you have a sweet tooth.

Recipes suggest grinding the coffee coarsely and using a French press to filter the result, but I simply use finely ground Lavazza Gold, which I find preferable to the beans I can source here.

Proportions can be as high as 2:1, but then most recipes suggest only 12 hours brewing and the mix is usually diluted. Play with proportions and see what you prefer. I dislike watering down the final result, so I go with more water initially, a longer brew time and use coffee ice cubes.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 10:56   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Cold brewed coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
There are a multitude of methods for dosing your system with a caffeine hit, but this has to be the very best way of producing a perfect iced coffee for those hot, hot summer days.

Morning routines on board include angling the solar panels to catch those early rays, turning off an anchor lights, filling the ice tray, and most important of all making up a batch of cold brew for the day .

Not a substitute for a morning cuppa, but a smooth icy drink for when the temperature starts to skyrocket. The flavours magically linger on your tongue in a way chilled hot coffee doesn't.

The technique couldn't be easier:
• Pop cold water : ground coffee into a big glass jar in a ratio of 8:1 and leave sitting for 24 hours (I use 4 cups of water : 1/2 packed cup coffee).
• Shake occasionally in the early stages if you remember.
• Filter through a paper coffee filter into a 750 ml bottle. Most of the grains remain at the bottom if you pour carefully, speeding up the process as the filter blocks less.
• Seal and refrigerate.
• Use the rest to fill an ice cube tray.
• Make up a batch for the next day .
• Pour over ice and add a dash of milk or cream. Add a bit of sugar if you have a sweet tooth.

Recipes suggest grinding the coffee coarsely and using a French press to filter the result, but I simply use finely ground Lavazza Gold, which I find preferable to the beans I can source here.

Proportions can be as high as 2:1, but then most recipes suggest only 12 hours brewing and the mix is usually diluted. Play with proportions and see what you prefer. I dislike watering down the final result, so I go with more water initially, a longer brew time and use coffee ice cubes.

SWL
Wow! Now I know which boat to visit if I ever make it your way! Is there a thread somewhere of "best cruising recipes?" Someone ought to publish all these.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 11:44   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I do similar, but make an extra pot in my French press just like normal. After it cools, I pour into the ice tray. That way you can "Ice" any coffee without it getting diluted.
Or if a blender is available, add cubes to some reg coffee with cream, and sugar if desired.
For all us Canadians, this tastes better than Tim's ice capp!
I've never tried the cold brewing, I will give it a whirl, always fun to try new things. Thanks SWL
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 11:45   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I make this as home too. I love to use mocha java blend (sorry, no its not chocolate). Best stuff ever. No sugar or cream in mine though.
Cold brewing makes it very smooth and low acid. It can be heated for hot coffe in a microwave but stove top heating will make it taste burned.
Old 21-06-2016, 11:57   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Wow! Now I know which boat to visit if I ever make it your way! Is there a thread somewhere of "best cruising recipes?" Someone ought to publish all these.
It is right here :

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-113368.html

Most of the ingredients used keep long term unrefrigerated and techniques have been adapted for boat galleys (manual mixing, low gas usage, minimal steam produced).

Some fabulous contributions from members there, and interesting discussions for foodies .

SWL

Old 21-06-2016, 13:33   #6

Quote:
It is right here :

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-113368.html

Most of the ingredients used keep long term unrefrigerated and techniques have been adapted for boat galleys (manual mixing, low gas usage, minimal steam produced).

Some fabulous contributions from members there, and interesting discussions for foodies .

SWL
Wow! Where have I been? That thread plus Noelex's anchors, those two (and a few others) make this forum priceless.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 21-06-2016, 21:54   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow! Where have I been? That thread plus Noelex's anchors, those two (and a few others) make this forum priceless.
Quote:
Wow! Now I know which boat to visit if I ever make it your way!
You would be made very welcome, but the price to pay for being fed on this boat is contributing to long discussions about anchors .

Morning batch of cold brew has just been prepared. I will photograph it later when the coffee ice has frozen.

SWL x

Old 22-06-2016, 00:07   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Sound good. Thanks for sharing; both the recipe, & the link(s)!!!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 07:35   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Black magic .

Jar on the left is for tomorrow:

Old 22-06-2016, 07:55   #10

Quote:
You would be made very welcome, but the price to pay for being fed on this boat is contributing to long discussions about anchors .
Ah, a bit unfair! Noelex has had the warm, clear Med to dive in! Well, if that's what it takes then I'll just have to man up, get my go-pro and dive in!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 22-06-2016, 08:11   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ah, a bit unfair! Noelex has had the warm, clear Med to dive in! Well, if that's what it takes then I'll just have to man up, get my go-pro and dive in!
6pm and 36°C here at the moment. No incentive needed for frequent dives overboard .

On the last dive I grabbed snorkelling gear, but with the increased wind and sea state the water was too murky to see much. I photographed the soft shackle connecting the snubber to chain instead.

Just finishing off that iced coffee at the moment .

SWL

Old 22-06-2016, 08:33   #12

Quote:
6pm and 36°C here at the moment. No incentive needed for frequent dives overboard .

On the last dive I grabbed snorkelling gear, but with the increased wind and sea state the water was too murky to see much. I photographed the soft shackle connecting the snubber to chain instead.

Just finishing off that iced coffee at the moment .

SWL
Ahh now you are rubbing it in! But for a taste of that coffee, chocolate mess and perhaps those grilled nectarines with muddled mint... Damn the prowling Great Whites, angry sea lions and hypothermia! I'm goin' in!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 22-06-2016, 08:39   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ahh now you are rubbing it in! But for a taste of that coffee, chocolate mess and perhaps those grilled nectarines with muddled mint... Damn the prowling Great Whites, angry sea lions and hypothermia! I'm goin' in!
Not to mention pizza , mandarin & ruby grapefruit marmalade on warm oatmeal bread, oven baked granola .........

The nectarines with muddled mint was inspired by Dockhead's thread on Mint Julep and is a winner.
My mouth is watering here now .

SWL

Old 22-06-2016, 08:43   #14

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I used cold brewed coffee onboard 30 years ago for my first single-handed passage as an alternative to hot brewing coffee several times a day. I made up a gallon at home before departing and put it in tightly sealed jars in my frig. The plan was to just heat up a cup or two on the stove top when I needed a coffee jolt. I never did that when I discovered it tasted great straight out of the frig.

The cold brewing process does not release as much acidity from the coffee grounds as hot brewing, which makes it a great soft drink. I think there is also less caffeine in the brew.

Thanks for reminding me of something I've gotten away from for a long time.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 08:46   #15

Quote:
Not to mention pizza , mandarin & ruby grapefruit marmalade on warm oatmeal bread, oven baked granola .........

The nectarines with muddled mint was inspired by Dockhead's thread on Mint Julep and is a winner.
My mouth is watering here now .

SWL
AAAGGHHHHHHHH!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37