Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 17:12   #31

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Cold brewed coffee

I used dark roast espresso for my test. I only drank one cup (actually less than 1/2 of each jar) I didn't even have to use a filter because all the grounds were on the bottom so I put the leftovers in the fridge and will give it taste test tomorrow.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 21:21   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeteer View Post
if they're crushing by hand, grains could be quite large, so brewing takes longer
Oh, yes, I had forgotten that.

Online instructions actually say to use a coarse grind. I just spoon in my fine espresso grind (all I have).

As Sparrowhawk says, the grinds sink to the bottom, so after not being able to filter for a few days in a rocky anchorage and simply pouring off carefully tnrough a tea strainer instead (coffee would have been flung everywhere ), that it all I do now.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 22:54   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
• Filter through a paper coffee filter into a 750 ml bottle.
SWL
Depending on how hard to find/expensive paper coffee filters are, a sheet or 2 of paper towel in a mesh strainer does as good a job.

Also, if you want to minimise the initial amount of grounds to filter, put the coffee in a fine mesh bag (I use a paint strainer bag from my varnishing stocks) and put that in the water, then just lift it out and voila! most the coarse stuff is removed.
bungeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 00:02   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeye View Post
Depending on how hard to find/expensive paper coffee filters are, a sheet or 2 of paper towel in a mesh strainer does as good a job.

Also, if you want to minimise the initial amount of grounds to filter, put the coffee in a fine mesh bag (I use a paint strainer bag from my varnishing stocks) and put that in the water, then just lift it out and voila! most the coarse stuff is removed.
Big coffee filters are easy to get here. I put one in a funnel, but it needs to sit for about half an hour, as the first bit comes through easily then the rest clogs. When the boat is rocking around:
Bottle with funnel full of coffee = big mess

(I should have snapped a photo, but I was too busy mopping up )

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:54   #35

at home I use the coffee paper filters with a funnel. It takes a little while, but doesn't clog. then again I'm not on a boat
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:41   #36

Well I didn't feel like drinking coffee yesterday so I let it sit in the fridge for another day. I'm very surprised with the results, there's basically no change; I'm not sure if it's my imagination but the cold brew might be stronger than the solar brew.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:57   #37

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I see Dunkin Donuts is offering cold brew coffee now. I bet they were inspired by this thread!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:21   #38

To be perfectly honest it kind of freaked me out for this to be on my homepage of YouTube after posting about cold brew coffee I know it's a coincidence I think :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470241167059.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	128947  
Old 03-08-2016, 09:33   #39

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
To be perfectly honest it kind of freaked me out for this to be on my homepage of YouTube after posting about cold brew coffee I know it's a coincidence I think :-)
If you use google its no coincidence. Every mouse click and key words you use in email is filtered with an algorithm. They use that to send you targeted marketing across all of their products including you tube. If you are getting email updates from this forum, everything you talk about is being parsed by that algorithm.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:37   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
If you use google its no coincidence. Every mouse click and key words you use in email is filtered with an algorithm. They use that to send you targeted marketing across all of their products including you tube. If you are getting email updates from this forum, everything you talk about is being parsed by that algorithm.
That does it. I'm rounding up my goats and heading for Pitcairn...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:54   #41

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Old 03-08-2016, 12:29   #42

I understand if I search for something ads will come up that reflect that but I really don't think the technology is there yet for monitoring what I'm saying on the Forum. Maybe I did a Google search of cold brewing coffee but I think more than likely it's just a coincidence. why is my phone making clicking noises?
Old 03-08-2016, 16:31   #43

nothing is private that days. Facebook and Google knows more about you than you do
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 16:58   #44

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Thank you very much for a delightful suggestion!!! I will have to try it!!!
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote