Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2015, 08:35   #166
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Re: Coffee maker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Make that 10 years worth of filters - they can be rinsed and reused at least a dozen times ..
In the interest of saving trees I have started to rinse and reuse my filters. I'm currently using one I cut from a cheap, paper cone filter. It's been used four times now and is still going strong. I worked it out (saddo that I am) and with the filters that I currently have on board I have enough to have two cups of coffee each day for the next 11 years!

Some of the cone filters will get used up with tonic syrup hopefully!
Old 14-03-2015, 08:41   #167

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I'm quite happy with my plunger mug. Doesn't come much easier than that. And the latest Zyliss ones have a nice tight fitting "sipper" lid as well - got one for Christmas!

(Nice to see that SWL has just got herself a couple too).
I purchased the Zyliss mugs on the recommendation of a certain CF member .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 15:47   #168

Boat: Oyster 66

An important subject this is. I am addicted and I am happy to be so. Looking forward to that morning rush is what gets me out of bed. From the moment I wake until I get my hit is a period of pleasant anticipation. I have a second hit in the mid afternoon, which I equally look forward to. That's my daytime drug regime. The evening alcohol based drug habit is a separate subject.

I use the plain plastic Melitta style cone filter for my coffee. It gives me the best compromise of all the issues of quality, clean up effort, reliability, space taken, vulnerability from breakage, cost, speed to make and ability to make in a seaway.

All this talk about the Aeropress has got me thinking that might be worth a try. I can see it would be better than the French press and I can see anyone moving to one from a French press would love the Aeropress. I hate the French press. Bitter and grainy and messy. The Aeropress looks pretty much like a filter coffee system, but with a tiny bit more pressure maybe. Is it actually any better than good filter coffee?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 16:13   #169

Boat: None yet

I haven't had a lot of aeropress coffee, but what I did have is definitely better than drip filter. Of course, garbage in garbage out- I haven't tried the same good quality coffee using different methods.

My back country camping system, and my Rv camping system were melitta type filter drips. My travel system is an insulated bodum french press. And yes, it is grainy, no matter how carefully I press the filter down. Same with the other bodum systems I've used since the late 70's.

The problem with all these travel systems is the fact I have to bring my own preground coffee, or buy usually pretty awful preground coffee at my destination.

I'm now thinking an aeropress with a small hand grinder (porlex or hario) is the way to go. You can usually find decent beans at most destinations. The systems are small, portable and you don't have to chew your coffee. And you don't have to worry about balancing a melitta filter on top of a mug and making sure all the grounds are wetted. Yup just convinced myself. It's now on order (they are pretty inexpensive).

For that mid morning, afternoon and evening shot at home or on the boat- the ROK is amazing. True espresso.
fozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 19:01   #170

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I purchased the Zyliss mugs on the recommendation of a certain CF member .

SWL
Wonder what's next:

1. Zepelline Bend
2. Zyliss mug
3. Z..... ?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 02:13   #171
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post

All this talk about the Aeropress has got me thinking that might be worth a try. I can see it would be better than the French press and I can see anyone moving to one from a French press would love the Aeropress. I hate the French press. Bitter and grainy and messy. The Aeropress looks pretty much like a filter coffee system, but with a tiny bit more pressure maybe. Is it actually any better than good filter coffee?
Oh yes, waaaaaay better!

I moved from a Melitta cone and paper filter (if there were just the two of us) and a Bodum cafetiere (if we had guests) to the AeroPress and the difference is amazing. I think it is even better than my Bialetti stove top mocha pot.

SWL bought one and raved about it and that was what prompted me to indulge too - her coffee is always wonderful so if she thought the AeroPress was the bees knees then I wasn't about to argue!
Old 15-03-2015, 04:29   #172

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Wonder what's next:
1. Zepelline Bend
2. Zyliss mug
3. Z..... ?
Zymurgy?

(To keep it on-topic: back when I was doing a lot of homebrewing, I made a stout flavored with coffee.)
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 05:34   #173

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Zymurgy?

(To keep it on-topic: back when I was doing a lot of homebrewing, I made a stout flavored with coffee.)
Well if making yoghurt counts, zymurgy can be my third Z.
Can't quite see how to tie it in to coffee except that they are both served at breakfast .

I am waiting for Stu to inspire my third Z (he is responsible for the other two ).

SWL

Old 15-03-2015, 05:40   #174
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I like a smooth strong coffee, but without the grounds. I like the taste of French Press but not sludge.

I have several of these. There is a small individual mug one or a larger two cup version. Just put a filter in, add coffee, add water, wait four minutes and place over cup or mug. The release mechanism allows a clean well filtered coffee to fill the cup. Just discard the filter after use.

No sludge. In my opinion, BETTER coffee than French Press.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 05:49   #175
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
In Poland back in the day (1990-1997)they would take the grounds/floor sweepings and put them directly into the coffee cup, add water and let it sit a few moments before consuming..I didnt realize that the grounds were in the bottom of the cup my first visit and subsequently got a mouth full of the foul grit .. On my second trip I bought my friend(The Polish World Paragliding champion,Christoph Dudinsky) a coffee maker similar to what you describe and it produced a much better cup of Java...What was more important to him and his crew was that I brought them "real coffee" as opposed to floor sweepings,turned out that at the time the Gov.had been working with one person/company to supply the whole country coffee and they were all rigging the deal so as to benefit personally from the floor sweepings...
Hey, you know Krzysztof? World is small indeed..
Your description of Polish Coffee is accurate, although I think more fitting to era before 1991. In 1991 we had already transformed to the free market principles and there were many companies supplying coffee, competing on the market. No place for a Gov. rigged deal then, but perfectly possible earlier.. By the way, some not only poured boiling water over ground coffee, but also boiled the mixture for several minutes to extract all there was to be extracted from grains, it was being called Turkish coffee... Ah, Old Times..

Back to the topic. At home I love the 'bean to cup' Jura espresso maker. On a boat a French press produces very acceptable results. In very rough weather, instant coffee has its uses, but as a last resort only.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:39   #176
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Hey, you know Krzysztof? World is small indeed..
Your description of Polish Coffee is accurate, although I think more fitting to era before 1991. In 1991 we had already transformed to the free market principles and there were many companies supplying coffee, competing on the market. No place for a Gov. rigged deal then, but perfectly possible earlier.. By the way, some not only poured boiling water over ground coffee, but also boiled the mixture for several minutes to extract all there was to be extracted from grains, it was being called Turkish coffee... Ah, Old Times..

Back to the topic. At home I love the 'bean to cup' Jura espresso maker. On a boat a French press produces very acceptable results. In very rough weather, instant coffee has its uses, but as a last resort only.
A fine fellow indeed and his wife is a wonderful hostess..I dealt with them for about 3 years as he was the fabricator of my wings...I stayed in the log guest house across the st. from their house in Zakopany and you are correct about the date of good coffee being introduced and lots of other things as I was a harbinger of free enterprise and have witnessed many changes that came to that part of the world after the wall came down..I slowly worked my way farther east and south across eastern Europe in those days..I planted a young tree of inspiration in many of the young and beautiful minds of folks in that part of the world and am proud of what has happened after my work was done..Now if only we could help Ukraine by introducing "good coffee" in the far eastern part of the country..All citizens of the world deserve a good cup of coffee ..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 09:15   #177

Boat: Monk 36

A while ago I looked at the AeroPress - reviews were that the polymer cylinder was prone to crazing, so I stayed away from it. Instead I bought one of these espro press — espro - precision coffee. It makes a great cup of coffee but takes a gallon of water to rinse the baskets clean. Wish I hadn't spent so much on it.
I'm using a cone filter funnel straight into the cup while on the boat. Fast, easy to clean, no wasted water.
Coffee is not worth drinking if it is not good (and that is open to a lot of interpretation).
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 09:47   #178

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
A while ago I looked at the AeroPress - reviews were that the polymer cylinder was prone to crazing, so I stayed away from it. Instead I bought one of these espro press — espro - precision coffee. It makes a great cup of coffee but takes a gallon of water to rinse the baskets clean. Wish I hadn't spent so much on it.
I'm using a cone filter funnel straight into the cup while on the boat. Fast, easy to clean, no wasted water.
Coffee is not worth drinking if it is not good (and that is open to a lot of interpretation).
I have been using the Aeropress daily for almost a year now with no signs of crazing or any deterioration at all. Even if it only lasted a year I would think it worthwhile. It produces a brilliant cup of coffee with intense flavour and zero bitterness if water of the right temperature is used.

SWL

Old 15-03-2015, 10:18   #179

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I like a smooth strong coffee, but without the grounds. I like the taste of French Press but not sludge.

I have several of these. There is a small individual mug one or a larger two cup version. Just put a filter in, add coffee, add water, wait four minutes and place over cup or mug. The release mechanism allows a clean well filtered coffee to fill the cup. Just discard the filter after use.

No sludge. In my opinion, BETTER coffee than French Press.

I like the look of that. An improvement over the Melitta in that it is easy to let it steep for a short while. Steeping does improve the taste a bit.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 10:36   #180

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
Starbucks instant coffee packs is the best. I buy them on line for 35 cents each and use them at home and on the boat. Fast and simple. No mess to deal with!
They're great for travelling and road trips.

We use an Avanti all stainless french press. It's been in constant use for 15 years and still looks like new.

We've bought and sold 2 houses but kept the french press. We've moved it about 12 times across 4 countries. Its also a dewar flask so keeps the coffee warm for hours.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote