Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 14:58   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Clean grease splatter from galley wood walls

My galley has beautiful teak walls and cabinet doors. I'm assuming the finish on these is varnish.

I need suggestions for how to clean these surfaces from cooking fumes and splatter.
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 15:21   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Clean grease splatter from galley wood walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
My galley has beautiful teak walls and cabinet doors. I'm assuming the finish on these is varnish.

I need suggestions for how to clean these surfaces from cooking fumes and splatter.
There are kitchen cleaning products such as Mr. Clean, Easy off, etc, but the grease is everywhere. This will be tough.

The most important step is to stop frying in your galley onboard the boat.

It is hard to live without fried food, but the boat is too small and it is nearly impossible to get to all the surfaces which get covered with a greasy film, and the odors stay forever. Fish is the worst.

Never cook in a pan without a lid, not even for a minute or two.

When you want fried food, go out.
Old 04-08-2020, 15:35   #3

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Had a uncle who rented a apartment to some native Hawaiians, asked me to help after he kicked them out for not paying rent, I was scrubbing grease off the walls for days.

Rethink what/how you cook.

Seems the lower income demographics use more grease and oil in their cooking for some reason

For normal cooking a simple wipe or a little pledge will take most anything off
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 15:36   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What you have to do is clean the hell out of it. You may have to use TSP to cut the solidified grease. Then sand it back, lightly as possible, wash with denatured alcohol, or lacquer thinner, and use a 2 pack polyurethane varnish. Then, every time you fry, use an ammonia based kitchen spray, and wipe the whole area down, carefully. Dry with a white dish towel, so you can be sure you get it clean. Keep cleaning till it's clean. Stoves and ovens are the same, but without the varnish, of course.

Once you have a good, hard surface on the timber, and if you clean it every time, you will be able to keep it looking good for a long time. The worst spots are around door pulls, your finger nails tend to dig up the varnish, and if you don't dry your hands before you touch them, you leave behind residue of detergent with oil in it, and it's very hard to clean. You can try first dissolving the grime in salad oil, then washing with the spray and wiping with a clean, soft cloth. Sometimes waterless hand cleaner will help. Kind of makes you understand wanting a scullery maid. ....and why Fred says quit frying on the boat.

It isn't that we think you're deep fat frying on the boat, but every time you cook bacon and eggs, or saute onions and garlic, oil goes up with the steam, and gets on EVERY darned surface.

Sorry.

Ann
Old 04-08-2020, 15:39   #5

Do not use 409 or some of the harsh cleaning products on varnish. Some of them make it sticky or give a white look. Joy or Dawn in water cuts grease well. Have you considered a metal panel to put back there when cooking?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 16:46   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I use aguarraspuro which is basically mineral turps. Very easy and perfectly clean afterwards. In our case it is mostly from plexiglass cabinetry behind the stove.

mineral turps

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:06   #7

Can you get one or two of these insulated aluminum counter protectors that will shield the area when cooking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shield.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	220689  

Old 05-08-2020, 09:19   #8

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Can you get one or two of these insulated aluminum counter protectors that will shield the area when cooking?
The hot grease goes into the air and covers more than just the countertop, it goes on food and condiment containers, pots, plates, walls inside cabinets, and even beyond the galley due to the small area in a boat, everything.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
The hot grease goes into the air and covers more than just the countertop, it goes on food and condiment containers, pots, plates, walls inside cabinets, and even beyond the galley due to the small area in a boat, everything.
Yes, I was thinking put it behind the stove in front of any doors etc. (vertical) Seemed to be the worst there on my boats. Steam too. They had nice louvered teak sliding door panels back there.

Old 05-08-2020, 13:00   #10

Boat: Vancouver 27'

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1PD8D2itWL.jpg

A splatter screen is dead cheap and they are amazing. You will cut your oil spatter to a fraction.

Please let me know if you can see the image. I got tired of the greasy mess every time I sauteed or fried something. I Broke down and spent $3. Why i waited I have no idea.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 17:16   #11

Boat: Tashiba-31

Update: I was able to clean the galley area using a rag and denatured alcohol. The grease was removed with ease and the teak still retains it's wonderful finish. I've taken to mounting a fan into the port near the stove, pointing it so it pulls are from the galley area and pushes it outside. I think what I'll do is build a small removeable hood to hand over the stove area and expels areout via a flexible tube - that should give me better coverage.

I'm also going to add an alcohol rubdown of all teak surface to my yearly maintenance routine.
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 18:19   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Super, glad you found something that works for you.

Ann
Old 23-08-2020, 20:37   #13

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

You have to be very careful using a solvent to clean the woodwork, our Formosa is finished with lacquer. and using lacquer thinner dissolves it. Or it may be finished with with shellac, which is destroyed by alcohol. I refinished our 40 year old teak interior with a product called Restor-zit which is compatible with lacquer and gives a nice satin sheen.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 20:51   #14

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Citrus degreasers towelettes that one can purchase at auto or home stores, works well on stove tops and surrounding areas, that and always use a lid on your pans when cooking anything that splatters. They do a nice job on stainless steel sinks as well.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 00:31   #15

Handy trick for that kind of sticky cooking grease residue you get on things like cabinets and exhaust hoods - cooking oil. Sounds odd since the whole problem is grease in the first place, but it’s a two part cleaning technique:

1. Use clean cooking oil on a cloth to loosen/soften the sticky stuff. Sometimes it’ll just wipe off, other times leaving it to soak (I just drape the dampened cloth over the area and leave it) for a few minutes is necessary. The surfaces won’t be what you’d call clean, but nothing should be stuck on anymore, it should wipe away leaving just a liquid film of grease/oil.

2. Use your favorite cleaning product and water to remove the remaining film. Since nothing should be all stuck on and clinging for dear life, something like Dawn dishwashing liquid should be plenty. I usually start with a soapy wrung out sponge, so it’s not introducing lots of water right away, then add more water once the oil starts emulsifying with the soap, to remove the oil. I find if you go in with too wet a sponge to start with, you’re more likely to end up kind of pushing stuff around instead of the film mixing with the soap to be removed.

(On plastic surfaces, which are ime AWFUL to get grease off of, sometimes I basically use just a good shot of undiluted soap and then rinse with the hottest water possible. But for anything else I dilute the soap in some water then dunk a sponge and squeeze it out so it’s saturated with soap suds but not too wet. Using undiluted soap on things like varnished wood or metal just means you have to rinse more to get rid of all the excess soap.)

Disclaimer: I have cleaned things like super gross kitchens this way, but not a gross galley on a boat/ship. So there may be some mystery on-the-water effect I am unaware of. (Additionally, with any surface you’re worried about damaging, always test a new cleaning technique/product on an inconspicuous or easily repaired area first, in case it doesn’t agree with your surface. Best to discover it’s a problem on something easily hidden than something right at eye line that will be obvious to everyone.)
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley