Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2011, 06:39   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Canned Papdums ?

Quote:
I remember a snack sold in the South of France by street vendors who mix up a batter with chickpea flour and cook it on steel drums
Thats Socca, a local food from the NICE area

Dave
Old 21-06-2011, 06:50   #17

Boat: Able 50

It's barely different to making tortillas - just different flour and thinner.

Putting all of black pepper, cayenne, cumin and garlic in the one mix might not be so good. Your mouth will feel like it's on a conference call in Swahili. Try them one at a time until you work out which you prefer.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 06:51   #18

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Thanks for the recipe, but how do you get them thin enough? Also, instead of frying them in oil, can you brush them lightly and use a microwave? And in eiither event, what kind of oil should be used? The recipe doesn't say.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 07:05   #19
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I have just two words for all you guys. Yum Yum.

Thanksamillion
Old 21-06-2011, 07:16   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Theres two parts to pappadums, firstly cooking the raw mixture which is done in an oven and then theres the frying to produce the poppadum.

any oil will do , olive, vegatable.

Yes you can do them in the microwave, lighly brush with oil, put a piece of kitchen paper under them in the microwave to absorb mositure. I find they are not quite as crispy as fried ones. You can also microwave them without any oil. ( calories dont you know)

Keep them in an airtight sealed container as they aborb moisture and go soggy , though a trip into the oven does wonders

Dave
Old 24-08-2011, 00:28   #21

I've seen raw pappadam sold in cans with a resealable lid in India and Malayasia. Everywhere else they seem to be sold in plastic/cellophane packaging.

If you don't want to fry your papadam, another traditional way to prepare them is by holding them over the flame of your cooker. You can use tongs, but that gets a bit tricky as they get soft while cooking so you have to keep them moving over the flame to avoid burning. I bent a wire hanger into a "U" shape and use that as a rack to hold the papadam (or chapati) over the flame. On land I bake the papadam in the toaster oven. Pull them out just as they are starting to colour up. Quick and easy that way.

Papadam can also be used as noodles in a soup. When we make "Papar shorba", we make a soup broth of green chilis, ginger root, blanched almonds, tomatoes, bell pepper with cumin, coriander, tumeric and salt. When the broth is done, we cut up the papadam into ribbons (cut them up in humid climate, break them up in dry climate) and toss them into the soup and simmer for a minute. Add chopped cilantro just before serving. The hing in the pappadam will add flavour to the broth as well.

I've only seen commercial pappadam made from urad dal (lentil that is black on outside and white on inside). Urad dal is much stickier in texture than chickpeas which allows them to be rolled out much thinner.
MermaidMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 18:59   #22

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource

MermaidMuse, thanks for the soup idea...I LOVE papad! It also never occurred to me to try baking them in the toaster oven...I shall certainly try that.

I *have* had canned papadums, but I didn't find they were really the same at all as the freshly fried ones I had come to adore. Texture and taste were both different.. We like using peanut oil to fry ours in as it has a high smoke point compared to others, such as olive.
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote