Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2006, 07:46   #1

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Canned bread.

Canned bread.

This is one of those really stupid sounding ideas that work great.

Rose was talking to a friend about the whole bread baking issue. We make pan bread now, but Rose makes a killer banana nut bread that I really don't want to go without if I don't have to.

The month or so ago a friend suggested she bake the bread in mason jars. It sounded nuts, but she tried it.

Worked great! She sprayed a little canola oil into the jars, and then filled them about 1/4 full with bread dough (batter?). Bake as normal, but as soon as they are removed from the oven, drop the lids on the jars.

They 'pop' closed shortly after they come out of the oven. I have served as the tester for this experiment, and can say with a relative* degree of certainty that it works great.

The first batch was Banana bread, corn bread, and pound cake. All three have continued to come out of the jar fresh and tasty as they have been opened over the last month.

I will keep you posted if I can restrain myself long enough to see how they are at the 6 and 8 week marks.

*Further testing will need to be conducted. You can not be too hasty about these things..... ;D
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 14:24   #2

This is a neat technique, but not new.
Do a google search and you should be able to find several
recipe sites that have baked goods in mason jars (as opposed to "mixes" gifted in jars).
For some reason my cut and paste isn't working, but I have just found a couple of sites n.p.

liz :-)
lancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 17:38   #3
cruiser

Genius!

I'll have to try this just for the sport of it. We do bake all our breads, muffins and breakfast cakes fresh, but... this sounds like fun. Possibly a good way to give a gift to someone.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 14:43   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Can it yourself

I love canned bread. Also I discovered that canned hamburger and beef and fish can be very tasty when you do it yourself. Because commercial products "feed" the tasts of what they feel is popular too much salt is used which ruins the original flavors present in the meat.

Try using almost NO salt and see how the flavors are retained. Salt and heat also remove vitamins. Most people don't realize that fresh beef contains vitamin C that is destroyed by commercial canning and the old-style salting and drying processes. Hows that for useless trivia?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 20:53   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up Good idea!!!!!

My mother use to bake bread in coffee cans and would use the plastic lid to keep them fresh. But this is much better.

I suppose one would have to use jars with straight sides so one can get the bread out................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 13:37   #6

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
I've recieved bread like this as a gift before, the jar was small enough that one person(though my family shared this one) could eat the bread out of it within a day. We just took a fork and ate it right out of the jar.

It was banana cranberry nut bread and it was some of the best bread I've ever tasted.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 13:43   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The military MRE's have cakes (more like a bread). It is essentially canned in the foil puches. It keeps a very long time. They taste almost fresh and often better tasting than bread that was frozen.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 08:24   #8

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
I've had those before, and while I'm not totally sure, I believe that bread is dehydrated and vaccum packed. If I understand it correctly, canning doesn't involve either of those(you lower the pressure inside, yes, but nothing like vaccum packing does).

While I agree that the MRE bread is very good for what it is, I don't believe that you would say it is better tasting than the "baked in a jar" bread. although I would say the MRE bread would probably last longer. I ate a piece of it that was at least 3 years old, when I opened up the package, it tasted just like a brand new package would taste
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote