Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2018, 21:56   #1

Can pressure alcohol burners be re-jeted for kerosene

I have a kerosene sea-swing and I also have an old pressure alcohol 2 burner that I would salvage the burners from, if they can be re-jeted. They look the same, so I wonder about just changing the nipple? Any knowledge out there? Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 10:54   #2

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'
Re: Can pressure alcohol burners be re-jeted for kerosene

The Optimus and Primus types use a nipple (orifice) with a 0.32 mm hole. I would just replace the burner assembly ...

https://www.tilleylampsandstoves.com/primus-spares
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 04:30   #3

Boat: Parker Dawson 26
Re: Can pressure alcohol burners be re-jeted for kerosene

Short answer: It depends

The alcohol only burners are built differently than the Kerosene burners which can be made to run on either Kerosene or alcohol.

Burner on the left is a Patria 206 Kerosene burner the one on the right is a primus alcohol only burner. You will notice that the kerosene burner has additional piping that provides more heated time to the fuel before it gets to the jet which allows the kerosene to vaporize properly. That said, it is not uncommon for an alcohol stove to have the Kerosene type burners on it and just be fitted with the jets for alcohol. If that's the case, a simple jet swap and you are off to the races.

If not than you need new burners which is not that big of a deal either.

I did a post on my conversion over on sailnet that you can read here: Conversion of a Kenyon 206 Alcohol stove to Kerosene - SailNet Community
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote