Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 07:07   #1

Calling all galley slaves!

Hi Anyone,
I am doing an assisted passage/skippered charter from Gib all round the Med (every country) coming up in Spring and although I am am a dab hand at producing plenty of dry-store meals on long ocean passages in rough weather, I'm worried about serving up crew with fresh dishes so that they don't jump ship at every port!! Can anyone advise me on -preferably "one pot" dishes that could be made with local produce? Any recipe thats mostly 'one pot' and traditional to Turkey or Greece or other areas I would be most appreciative.

Jinny
jinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:02   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Hi Jinny

This link leads to an Adobe Acrobat capture of a publication from our Intranet (Cdn Coast Guard). It contains a whole lot of recipes that were developed between the CCG and Kemptville College Food Science branch for use on our ships. There may be some things in there you can try. Sorry, it's a large file (3.3MB) and is bilingual (Eng & Fre). Just ignore the header and sidebar navigation.

http://209.217.103.164/kbii/fleet-Publication-5283.pdf

I'll leave it there for a week or so for anyone interested to download then I'll have to remove it.

Rick
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:11   #3

pirate calling all galley slaves!

Hi Rick,
Thanks so much that was one excellent file and ive downloaded it to study-cheers, looks to be tons of stuff on there!

Jinny
Old 10-10-2007, 09:40   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You're welcome Jinny. You didn't say how big a crew you were cooking for. I think the recipes scale down well enough. We've used some of these for large gatherings and they work well.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:18   #5

Smile galley slaves

Hi Rick,
6-8 crew at all times, joining in legs-we are training them, so some hardcore hours going in, not exactly cruising, however from the bounty of the mainland so close (a rarity) usually transatlantic with a dicky cooler box, one orange left and everyone with a murderous eye, I am suddenly thinking-omg how do I do the 'one pot' with a loada fresh! I think really to keep the crew full and uncomplaining is dishing up a hearty one pot grub and tons of! anyway you have given me a LOT of reading, was going to the pub tonight, might have to put that on hold now for a couple of wk.....no, that would be stupid. Anyway i really appreciate your info.

Jinny
Old 10-10-2007, 21:51   #6

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Great link, to bad some place can't be found to permanently leave it up. Interestingly, I've had a craving for a good Chicken Pot Pie (don't know why - maybe male menopause) and the recipe on your site looks terrific.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:02   #7
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Great link, to bad some place can't be found to permanently leave it up. Interestingly, I've had a craving for a good Chicken Pot Pie (don't know why - maybe male menopause) and the recipe on your site looks terrific.
I'll send Andy a note to see if he'd host the recipes in a special thread.

Seems sailors are some of the most difficult diners to please. It was my job for years to provision the ships and ensure the cooks & stewards were trained to provide the best meals with the best ingredients. You could literally eat yourself to death on our ships in the old days so that had to change. These recipes and cooking methods were the brainchild of my former college Peter Howcroft an old time Merchant Marine supply officer who with a lot of personal dedication to the health and welfare of our ships officers and crew pursued the development of this program. IMHO it's too good not to share.
Old 13-10-2007, 21:23   #8
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Hi Jinny,
Think cous cous and a wide range of spices, add a pressure cooker and you're good to go. Brown the diced lamb/goat/whatever, add local spices, thick cut local vegies, cook for about 6 minutes on full pressure. Boil water, add plenty of cous cous, wait a couple of minutes then fluff up with a fork, stick it on the plate and add the (non thickened) meat etc. on top. It would be an odd bunch of sailors who got sick of the many varieties you can turn out with different vegies & spices.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 08:36   #9

Everyone likes rosemary potatoes! Have some of them in the oven all the time. Cheap, easy, and a good snack by itself or it complements another dish.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 09:38   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Thank you.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote