Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2022, 12:29   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Bread recipes

Some years back, I bought a small packet of flour.

On the back was an advertisement for some free bread recipe's.

I mailed this off, and shortly afterwards was sent a mini-booklet with about two dozen recipes.

To date, I have tried every recipe many times, all were easy to understand and simple to follow and outstandingly delicious. I am by no means a chef, but the end results were spectacular.

So that's my advice, next time you are in a store, check the back of a flour package for the free recipe booklet.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 14:24   #32

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
So that's my advice, next time you are in a store, check the back of a flour package for the free recipe booklet.
In the today world, we just use the google ("flour company bread recipes") and viola. I highly recommend King Arthur as a source for bread recipes.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/bread
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 15:44   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

I think the thing to realize is that bread really isn't that hard to make. Making yummy, basic bread is quite easy, and hard to screw up. People make a big deal out of, but you don't need to be a chemist, or even particularly precise, to make really good bread.

I've been baking my own for decades. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 09-04-2022, 16:48   #34

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I think the thing to realize is that bread really isn't that hard to make. Making yummy, basic bread is quite easy, and hard to screw up. People make a big deal out of, but you don't need to be a chemist, or even particularly precise, to make really good bread.

I've been baking my own for decades. If I can do it, anyone can.

I make wonderful bricks 🧱
Old 09-04-2022, 16:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post

I can help, if you want .
Old 09-04-2022, 17:09   #36

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I was just saying on another thread I’m not a long distance cruiser. 5 days out and I’m in some town finding ice cream and bread. I really appreciate threads to expand my cooking and baking skills.
I’m the king of shortbreads and fruit pies. My bread attempts poor.

I can pay y’all back with Salmon on the beach or my famous in odd circles baseball steak. I make a salmon soup which may sound bad but it’s surprisingly tasty.

My fav boating salad is a large slice of tomato salted 20 minutes ago with boccacini cheese ball a little oil and a bit parsley

I think we should trade wine knowledge.
Vintages Carnivore from California is my fav new well priced red.

I can vouch for Eldorado Rum 12 or 15 yr. it saves space boating as it requires no mix.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 17:20   #37

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Baking bread is not hard once you have the "feel" of it; rote use of recipes can only get so close - the water/flour mix has to be done by feel. Different flours need different amounts of water. I suspect the most common reasons for "bricks" are 1) the wrong flour and 2) inadequate yeast. If you want a loaf that rises well (i.e. not pumpernickel) you need high gluten bread flour. Bob's Red Mill has been my go-to brand for decades (a Portland company) which I have found as far afield as Trinidad. General purpose flour is simply not going to rise as well. When using dry yeast it should be coaxed back to life with a bit of water and some sugar, in a warm place. Once it starts bubbling it is ready to perform its magic (see proofing yeast). Usually even old yeast will work, just taking longer to start. I buy the 2lb bags at Costco, put some in a dark container and store in the fridge for normal use and the rest in the freezer - keeps for years.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 18:46   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Baking bread is not hard once you have the "feel" of it; rote use of recipes can only get so close - the water/flour mix has to be done by feel.

Exactly.
Old 09-04-2022, 21:58   #39

Bread recipes

Quote:
I can help, if you want .

Oh my darling bride makes great bread
I’m screwed if she passes first
But I’ll keep you guys in mind
Old 10-04-2022, 08:11   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The first time I made bread from my little booklet, I thought this was bound to be a disaster, as I barely knew a fork from a spoon, but much to my surprise, the end product was delightfully spot on.
Thusly emboldened I tried other recipes, and as the first, all came out in spectacular fashion.
I don't my cooking skills had much to do with it, but just simple, easy to understand recipe's.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 14:58   #41
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Every-time I make bread , I wonder why I bother , in many countries getting strong bread flour is virtually impossible , Greece being a classic example.
Old 11-04-2022, 15:30   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Every-time I make bread , I wonder why I bother , in many countries getting strong bread flour is virtually impossible , Greece being a classic example.

What is "strong" bread flour? I haven't had any issue finding flour that works, but I haven't cruised much internationally.
Old 11-04-2022, 16:01   #43

Quote:
What is "strong" bread flour? I haven't had any issue finding flour that works, but I haven't cruised much internationally.

Well looking from here you are cruising internationally :-)
Old 11-04-2022, 16:35   #44

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Strong wheat flour is made from hard wheat, which contains a high percentage of gluten. Gluten is the source of protein in flour, so strong wheat flour is high protein flour. As you may remember from childhood, a little flour and water makes an acceptable glue - this is the gluten that makes it hold together. When baking bread the yeast creates bubbles of gas that cause the bread to rise - the gluten holding the bubbles together and preventing the gas from just escaping. Whole wheat bread tends to not rise as well as white bread because the bran tends to puncture the bubbles. Strong bread flour has about 14% gluten, although IIRC the Bob's Red Mill flour is closer to 20%.

Cake flour is made from soft wheat, with a gluten content of about 8%. If you used strong flower for a cake it would be less crumbly and more chewy - not usually desirable. Pastry flour is a bit stronger than cake flour, at about 9-10%. And all-purpose flour is about 12% - a jack of all trades and master of none.

If you want the best results use the appropriate flour.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 20:01   #45

Like I say, I've been baking bread for decades now. I've never run into an issue. Some flours take more effort to achieve the gluten sheen, and right feel. But if you know what you're looking, and feeling for, they all seem to work -- at least that's been my experience.

Tags
recipes