Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 11:26   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Bread Making on board

I'm ready to venture into the area of baking my own bread, but I'm not sure what area I should use to knead the bread - space is somewhat limited.

I have covers that go over the sinks in the galley, but I'm thinking the metal grips in the center of each panel will be filled with flour/dough.

The dining table has a nice flat surface, but will I destroy the fine finish on the table surface if I use this area for kneading the bread?

Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley1.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	202929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galley2.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	202930  

dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:41   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Bread Making on board

I use a large, flat container to do all my mixing and kneading in. That way it keep all the flour contained and reduces the mess to near-zero. My container also just fits into my large sink, which places it just the right hight for kneading.

Mine is similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TN6GPWT/...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Old 10-11-2019, 11:49   #3

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

As a no-mess-no-fuss manual dough-maker, I would strongly recommend one of these.

EZ Doh Manual Dough Mixer

When we first saw the advert on EBay and honestly even after we first received it in the mail, I thought “Wow, that’s a lot of money for a plastic bucket with a handle”. It turned out to be the best money we’ve ever spent on a galley device.

Put the measured ingredients in the bucket, mount the handle/fork, rotate it until the desired consistency is reached and you’re done. We can mix a batch of dough without getting any part, no matter how small, of the ingredients on the “furniture”.

So simple and yet incredibly effective. Baking a loaf of bread used to be a tidiness challenge. Not since we bought this.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no affiliation with the makers of this product, just a very satisfied user.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:53   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I usually make bread in a big iron bowl - I prefer kneading on the surface counter above my stove but I've kneaded in the bowl before.

Old 10-11-2019, 13:42   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

If I have a silpat I use that. A really big cutting board works well also. That's a nice spot over your fridge but you'll get flour down into the fridge.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 15:23   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

This isn't for everyone, but I've found my inverter easily powers my bread maker. If you're just using the dough cycle, and not baking it in the bread maker, it uses very little electricity. It can even tolerate a bit of a seaway, especially if it's on the galley sole. So I can put all the ingredients in and start it up underway, and have it ready when I drop anchor.

In my boat, I have an electric oven. I usually end up letting the bread maker do the cooking, too, unless I plan to be on shore power. It makes an odd shaped loaf, but it's better than nothing. Obviously if you have a "real" oven you could time it to just finish the dough cycle when you arrive, then bake it normally.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 15:56   #7

Google for no kneed bread. Pretty danged easy. Instead of physically working the bread, the dough is made a bit wetter and time is used to "kneed" the bread. No "need" for a bread machine or making a mess on the counter. I just mixed everything in a big bowl, covered with plastic wrap and led the bread sit over night.

Easy.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 16:03   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Stop the presses, reset to Steve’s videos
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 16:49   #9

The no-knead breads are excellent but have a bit of a learning curve. For sure worth taking the time to master.

For kneaded bread, like Zanshin I knead in the same bowl I mix and proof in. I like a shallow metal bowl.

I like to make a batch of "all-purpose dough" with three cups of flour then after the first raise, divide it in 3 and put each third in a ziplock and toss it in the fridge. It is fine in the fridge for up to a week.

When I want to make pizza, cinnamon rolls, garlic knots, dinner rolls, a small loaf, etc. I grab a bag and bring it to room temp and it gives me just the right amount of dough for two people.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 18:05   #10

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

After years living on board, I can vote for a bread maker. CRITICAL though, it must have an express cycle that mixes, rises and bakes the dough in one hour. Uses very little electricity, minimal clean up, and no use of propane. The bread is not artisanal, but very good for a one hour effort.
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 19:09   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Half the fun of bread making is getting your hands dirty and kneading the heck out it all. Kneading, rising, punching, more kneading … why would anyone want to avoid all this fun .

Seriously … bread is not hard to make, and pretty hard to screw up. I don’t really follow a recipe. Water, sugar, yeast. Then enough flour, oil, salt, hefty grains, spices, oils, nuts, herbs, or whatever tickles my fancy at the time. Easy peasy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1464.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	202955  
Old 10-11-2019, 20:52   #12

Cast iron Dutch oven makes excellent stove top bread. As an added bonus on cool days will act as a cabin heater. Once the bread is done I try to bake something else as well as the Dutch oven retains heat for a good while. You can cut the baking time and gas use by making an insulated enclosure from old thick towels or blankets.

I learned this trick from my grandma when I was 6 or 7 years old visiting her on weekends with my cousins. She would boil potatoes for Sunday breakfast way early in the morning, like 5 or 6 am. By the time we staggered into the kitchen around 9 or 10 am they were still piping hot inside the cast iron pot wrapped in towels and a blanket or two.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:38   #13

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

No knead bread works but it just isn't the same and in my experience isn't much easier than conventional recipes.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:02   #14

I use a large pot to mix the flour and wet ingredients and then knead the bread right in the pot. It keeps the mess down. I knead with one hand and rotate the pot with the other. And then I do the first rise in that pot.
jack630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:18   #15

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I'm ready to venture into the area of baking my own bread, but I'm not sure what area I should use to knead the bread - space is somewhat limited.

I have covers that go over the sinks in the galley, but I'm thinking the metal grips in the center of each panel will be filled with flour/dough.

The dining table has a nice flat surface, but will I destroy the fine finish on the table surface if I use this area for kneading the bread?

Suggestions?
We use an oil cloth - a 'real' one, not a piece of vinyl. They are expensive if you can find one. We also bake in our pressure cooker as we have no oven, and to date, with at least a half-dozen tries, have yet to turn out a decent loaf of bread. Practice makes perfect though! Best of luck.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote