Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 08:28   #106

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Bread Making on board

Good video. It's pretty much how I've been doing it. Except I'm not very precise about measuring, and I haven't been pre-heating my Dutch oven. Maybe I'll try that next batch.

My challenge now is to find a small enough Dutch oven that will fit into my tiny boat oven. I have one of the smallest Force-10 stove/ovens
Old 08-03-2020, 08:54   #107

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My challenge now is to find a small enough Dutch oven that will fit into my tiny boat oven. I have one of the smallest Force-10 stove/ovens
Try the camping store. We picked up this smaller Lodge cast iron pot that is perfect size for a half-loaf—just right for two people. (Best picture I had, sorry)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5979.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	210265  
Old 08-03-2020, 09:07   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Try the camping store. We picked up this smaller Lodge cast iron pot that is perfect size for a half-loaf—just right for two people. (Best picture I had, sorry)

Good idea. MEC, here I come (once I get back to Ottawa for a bit).
Old 08-03-2020, 09:51   #109

Quote:
... Except I'm not very precise about measuring, and I haven't been pre-heating my Dutch oven. Maybe I'll try that next batch.
The instructions I have been using for no kneed bread said to preheat the oven and the Dutch oven at either 450 or 500 F. That is too hot for my oven as it will burn the bread so I use 400 F to preheat the oven and Dutch oven.

Even though the Dutch oven is well seasoned, I had the bread stick once for some reason, so after preheating, and right before I put the dough into the Dutch oven, I add some Canola oil and spread it around.

I have been making whole grain bread with a variety of seeds. Right now I am using Poppy, Sesame, Sunflower, Flax, Cumin, Caraway, and Chia seeds. Since we have Almond flour, I add 1/2 cup of Almond flour to the 3 1/2 cups whole grain flour for more protein. I do try to correctly measure the flour but for the seeds I have gone overboard, and weigh the seeds once I figured out how much I wanted in the bread. It is not really needed but since we have a scale, why not. I works out to 1-3 ounces for each seed depending on what I like the best.

The water is no where close to accurate. I heat up two ish cups of warm water to proof the yeast. Two ish cups of water is not enough for the dough so I add more warm water until I have a very wet, soggy dough. No real measuring but It is 4-5 cups of water.

A couple of slices of this bread is what I eat for breakfast during the week and it is very filling.

Thinking about making a sour dough starter since I am using so much yeast.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:27   #110

Thanks Dan. I've been making bread for years. But this Dutch oven stuff is new to me. It's fun learning new techniques.

I've never use almond flour. I'll have to look for it the next time we're shopping. I've been making various savory types of breads with this technique. I usually toss in some harder grains like flax or bran. I find a bit of chili powder really adds a nice depth of flavour as well.

For the sticking, I've been lining my ovens with parchment paper. Has worked perfectly so far, and I usually can reuse the same paper many times if I'm careful.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:32   #111

Quote:
Good idea. MEC, here I come (once I get back to Ottawa for a bit).
As much as it hurts me to say you might be better off at a Cabellas or a more hunting oriented store.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:38   #112

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If you have the storage room and an inverter a breadmaker will use 330w-hr to make a 2lb loaf. Depending on inverter efficiency that's 12-15 amp-hr.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:54   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
As much as it hurts me to say you might be better off at a Cabellas or a more hunting oriented store.
Funny... I did some net searching, and you're right. Better selection, and lot cheaper prices, at just about every other place. Oh MEC ... what has happened??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
If you have the storage room and an inverter a breadmaker will use 330w-hr to make a 2lb loaf. Depending on inverter efficiency that's 12-15 amp-hr.
Bread maker! Bahhh... Where's the fun in that?
Old 08-03-2020, 12:09   #114

I've spent the winter perfecting my home bread making, from NY style pizza doughs to cracked wheat sandwich bread and sourdoughs (both in a dutch oven and just on a stone with steam).

What I am trying to figure out now is how much of it will translate to a temperamental gas oven and cooler environment. Previously on board we have relied on the no knead recipe for both breads and pizza doughs but I am really tempted to bring out some sourdough and see if I can make it work.

And as an attempt to act grownup I have finally forsaken store-bought white bread for something grainier. I just am not sure the oven can handle it and I am pretty persnickety about my sandwiches—on board I usually just don't even bother with them.

I found some 7 x 7 mini pizza stones so I am going to take them out, if only for heat management in the oven, but I am hoping I can do some baking directly on them. Also waffling about buying a good thermometer as I usually just turn the oven on full and pray...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6193.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	437.3 KB
ID:	210275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6348.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	210276  

Name:	IMG_6374.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	210277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6390.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	210278  

Old 08-03-2020, 12:40   #115

Gorgeous breads MB. You can invite me over for sandwiches any time .

I bake all our breads on board using our little oven. But I've always just made standard kneaded breads. The Dutch oven technique is new to me. Gonna be fun to try it on board, if I can find an oven that will fit my tiny Force-10. It's really about the size of a large toaster oven, but I can bake three smaller-sized loafs at one time, so I'm hopeful.
Old 21-03-2020, 01:39   #116

Boat: Dufour 455 45ft

I bought a cheap bread making machine - 550w. Works fine off the inverter
warren2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 12:18   #117

Boat: S2 9.2C

Hi! Professional baker and pastry chef here. So I would recommend doing all of your kneading in a large, wide bowl. Here's how I would do this:
Get your yeast in warm (body temp or slightly warmer) water / milk etc to dissolve. Add any other ingredients your recipe calls for except salt, and only add half your flour at first (hold back aprox half your flour an all of the salt in anther bowl). Whisk the water/yeast etc with half off the flour, until it's a well mixed batter. Let that sit for at least 15 minutes. This wet mix and rest method helps develop the gluten and speeds up yeast growth, making for less kneading later. Then add the rest of the flour and salt, and knead in the bowl, turning the bowl as you work to make it easier.
Less mess, less kneading, better bread!
Happy baking,
Caroline
ps - If you need/want some recipes of other tips, pm me!
CamWrenRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 13:03   #118

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Caroline,

Thank you for your perspective. I'm a good cook but a hack baker. Somehow I've ended up with your approach and it works well for me. My experience with bread machines has been that they are more trouble than they are worth.

I do the wet mix before breakfast, eat breakfast, finish the dough and do the rises. Cook in the afternoon - yes warmest part of the day but when I'm usually not cooped up in the boat.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 13:47   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’ve had good luck with the machines and mixes, so long as your expectations aren’t high.
But 550W is 42 amps at 13V at 100% efficiency, so more likely closer to 50 amps.
Then it’s also for a couple of hours, so that loaf of machine bread cost you 100 AH or more, too expensive for me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 17:17   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’ve had good luck with the machines and mixes, so long as your expectations aren’t high.
Funny. Bread is like coffee for some folk. I'm fine with a cup of instant, and actually like truck stop joe. Paying $$ for "good" coffee or carrying beans and accessories on my boat always strikes me as waste of effort.

Bread on the other hand — it just tastes better if you make it yourself, and how could anyone give up the sheer joy of kneading bread by hand. Those machines are tools of the devil