Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 13:57   #31

Boat: Lagoon 420 Seas the Day
I'm making a one pound loaf of apple oat bread for dinner today in our Zojirushi Mini Breadmaker, so I tried Nick's "test" to see if the mini breadmaker has the feature Nick mentioned the larger model has for power outages. I plugged it in, put in all the ingredients, let it start in the "rest" stage for a few minutes and unplugged it. I waited about a minute and plugged the breadmaker back in. It started right back at the same time it was at before I pulled the plug. Therefore, this mini has the same feature the larger Zojirushi has for power outages. Good to know that, so thanks Nick.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:50   #32

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
I have been making bread weekly in prep for cruising. We will not have a generator so I don't think a machine will work for me. I also will not have an oven and plan to use the grill.

Has anyone really cooked or baked using a solar cooker? If so please tell me what works......
Old 03-04-2009, 14:44   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post

Has anyone really cooked ...? If so please tell me what works......
Really cooked? as in made by hand and cooked in the normal boat oven?

i do

The only trick is I use a squre baking dish so the bread is out flatter as a normal loaf would rise and hit the top of the oven.

It works fine.

Often I make some bread rolls too so the dish isnt so full.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 15:41   #34

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
my real question is has anybody either cooked or baked in a SOLAR oven? I keep seeing discussions about them but has anyone really used one?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:19   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Janice:

An inverter works perfectly for a breadmaker, you don't need a generator for that at all!

The grill works too, but wastes a lot of propane if you bake your bread with it.

I don't know where you plan to cruise but a solar oven feels like hell to me when it starts to rain. It rains a lot in the tropics.... I think you should consider an oven anyway.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 14:40   #36

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
For my own baking needs, I like to use a simple recipe for a heavy bread called Kommisbrot:

300 ML water (1.2 cups)
1 Tablespoon of sugar beet syrup
1 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon caraway seed
300g Rye Flour or whole wheat flour (1.5 cups)
200g white flour (1 cup).
1 pack of bakers yeast

program the bread maker for 'normal' mixing time and the crust setting for medium.

Kommissbrot is simple to make and does not require refrigerated ingredients like some bread recipes. If one cannot get rye flour, whole wheat works just as well. A loaf keeps well for a spell without refrigeration.

I also like to make Navajo fry bread which is great for snacks.

Navajo Fry Bread History and Recipe, Indian Tacos History and Recipe,

I got to liking fry bread when I went to school in Arizona.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16   #37

I just bought the mini Zojirushi

Wanted to let all of y'all know that after the recommendations on this thread I bought the mini Zojirushi. I only received it yesterday but so far am very pleased.

When researching price I found a better deal than on Amazon. I bought mine on eBay from a seller named fareast_bargain

Price was better and shipping included! Item arrived quickly and by UPS which did have tracking options (USPS tracking is a joke.)

Just thought I'd let y'all know. Thanks!
tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 02:25   #38

Boat: Tiki 38
Re: Bread Maker Aboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
(...)
The Zojirushi is the best choice aboard because its timer/program survives power-outages up to 3 minutes. One can easily switch from genset to inverter or the other way around. Most other breadmakers re-start which is the end of the bread. Also, it has user-definable programs and can bake anything. We also use it for all other dough making like for pizza etc.
Nick, thanks for the great info.
Just to add - we just bought an Aucma breadmaker for our new all-electric boat and it has probably the longest switchover time on the market - memory is good for 10 minutes, during which the program will continue automatically.
moniia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:46   #39

The Zojirushi can do sourdough bread! This not only tastes better, it keeps much longer without using artificial preservatives!

Hey Nick, did your Z come with a recipie for sourdough? I’ve been baking on land for a few years now, have bought the boat, and am toying with a bread maker- z is at the top of the list because how adaptable it is. I usually do a lightly kneaded sourdough from starter, and am looking to emulate that in a bread maker/boat situation. But not in my force10!!

Thanks, megan
Seacatoars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 13:39   #40

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

My Z-book does not show a recipe for sour dough. I assume one would have to substitute some of the flour & the yeast for some starter dough.
I considered it myself. I just haven’t started a batch of starter yet.