Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2009, 07:55   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Bread in a Pressure Cooker ?

Hi all, has anyone ever succeeded in making bread in a pressure cooker?
Mine has a little stand that would let the dough sit 1.5" above the bottom. Would I do it dry or maybe with a little oil on the bottom?
Well if you have, please let me know how, as I'd rather hear from someone who has before trying it myself!
Old 20-07-2009, 08:50   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post
Hi all, has anyone ever succeeded in making bread in a pressure cooker?
Mine has a little stand that would let the dough sit 1.5" above the bottom. Would I do it dry or maybe with a little oil on the bottom?
Well if you have, please let me know how, as I'd rather hear from someone who has before trying it myself!
ye needs to use the trivet that comes with the cooker---follow the directions in the pressure cooker instruction book--mine from presto has that info but i am not where it is at present-is 2500 mi from me--gooood luck ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 09:16   #3

Cheers.
I've just found this if anyone else i interested in this subject - Easy Bread Anywhere: "Baking" bread in a pressure-cooker
Old 20-07-2009, 09:20   #4

Quote:
Cheers.
I've just found this if anyone else i interested in this subject - Easy Bread Anywhere: "Baking" bread in a pressure-cooker

thankyou---wow coooooool.......now i havent any excuses .... lol ... i love home baked bread.....
Old 20-07-2009, 09:34   #5

No problem!
On the subject of pressure cookers, I know Aluminium pressure cookers on boats are a bad idea, but what about anodized aluminium? - Hawkins-Futura 4.0 L Pressure Cooker | VCT ELECTRONICS
Old 20-07-2009, 09:50   #6

Quote:
No problem!
On the subject of pressure cookers, I know Aluminium pressure cookers on boats are a bad idea, but what about anodized aluminium? - Hawkins-Futura 4.0 L Pressure Cooker | VCT ELECTRONICS
my regular aluminum presto is still alive and goood after 4 years---i donot understand why no aluminum pressure cookers...lol....if it works, i use it....used to make a difference--but seems not to be such a big deal as made out to be.......... looks perfect, actually----i guess the original saying was from a stockholder in th every expensive stainless steel pressure cooking market....lol.....
Old 20-07-2009, 09:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Check out Miss Vickie's Guide To Modern Pressure Cookery:
Miss Vickie's Guide to Modern Pressure Cookery

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 10:23   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
but seems not to be such a big deal as made out to be.......... looks perfect, actually----
I thought the Aluminium "scare" was about the effects on the brain from ingesting it - but I guess you are proof on the truth for that one
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 11:23   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 42.1
We've had a Fagor that I bought on Ebay several years ago. It came with both 4 and 6 qt. pots, the pressure lid, a glass lid and steamer basket. It gets constant use. Haven't tried bread baking yet, but a very satisfied with the Fagor brand.
sailing now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 12:40   #10

Boat: Nordic 40 "Voyager"
You won't get any crust - it really comes out more steamed than baked, but it is certainly recognizable, and edible, as bread. I've made corn bread, and zucchini bread, in mine. The moister breads are better, but for plain old white bread, just make sure you let the dough fully rise in the coffee can first.
HelenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 13:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I thought the Aluminium "scare" was about the effects on the brain from ingesting it - but I guess you are proof on the truth for that one
i still got the same brane i had before---i think the scare is just that, actually----i am old without oldtimers.... lol...our family didnt have that gene---many others but not that one----no family tendency nor any other reason for being wak--just a severe love of ocean....lol.....maybe that came from aluminum...lol.....
Old 20-07-2009, 15:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Here’s a few recepies/how-tos for Pressure-Cooker Bread:
http://www.saltysailors.com/Galley/Breads/PCBread.htm
http://www.waypoints.com/PDF/pressur...er%20bread.PDF
http://www.recipesource.com/baked-go...0/rec0011.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/free-rec.../msg03832.html

and from: The Care and Feeding of the Sailing Crew ~ by Lin & Larry Pardey

http://books.google.ca/books?id=G4SI...esult&resnum=7

and from: Why Didn't I Think of That? ~ by Susan Roberts

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Ay_W...esult&resnum=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The (1970's) misapprehension that Aluminum cookware may contribute to Alzheimer’s disease has been totally discredited.

Anodized* Aluminum is twice as hard as stainless steel, it conducts heat 28 times faster than glass or ceramic (and more evenly than S/S), doesn't react to acidic foods, and it's fairly nonstick.

* "Anodized" means electrochemically treated to form a thick and stable oxide layer.

Untreated Aluminum pots and pans turn grayish/black when water is boiled in them, or a low-acid food is cooked in them. Automatic dishwasher detergents can dull the sheen of polished aluminum. Certain alkaline foods, such as spinach and potatoes, also tend to darken aluminum. On the other hand acid foods, like tomatoes, apples and rhubarb, tend to brighten aluminum pans without injury to the food. This happens through the formation of metallic oxides. When an acid food is cooked in the pans, the acid dissolves the oxides and the pan brightens again.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 11:56   #13

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
I am about to try my first loaf in a pressure cooker but have made it on the grill set at very low heat and then turned off the grill about half way through (it was really hot out) to keep it from overcooking. You need to play a bit.

I just found this that I am going to try next:
BREAD BAKED ON TOP OF STOVE ON GRIDDLE 2 c. flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
5 tbsp. shortening
3/4 c. milk

Sift above all the dry ingredients together. Work shortening in with finger tips. Then add milk, slowly to make dough. Divide into 2 cakes and bake on a greased hot griddle. Bake until well done.

Old 22-07-2009, 12:47   #14

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
I am about to try my first loaf in a pressure cooker but have made it on the grill set at very low heat and then turned off the grill about half way through (it was really hot out) to keep it from overcooking. You need to play a bit.
That recipe is really for damper, rather than bread! check australian sites on the internet.

You can use self raising flour instead of plain + baking soda.

wrap it in foil and cook it on the barbie

add a few sultarnas - its good

it goes off very quickly, but that is not normally a problem as its good to eat just dont do too much!
Old 22-07-2009, 19:19   #15

I prefer to use this:-
(makes 1 loaf)
* 1/2 cup of water (luke warm) + teaspoon of sugar + 2 teaspoons dried yeast - mix, cover with wet cloth and leave for 20 mins somewhere warm
* add 1.5 cup of self raising flour (sometimes I like to use half self raising flour and half soya flour (more fluffy, longer life), or mixed seed flower, its worth experimenting, rice flour works well too.)
* add half a teaspoon of salt
* mixed dough with fork and keep adding more flour until its too thick to stir
* kneed with hands until dough is sticky, but doesn't stick to your fingers and is firm (add more flour if needed)
* prepare baking tray and dough with oil and or flour to stop sticking (i just use olive oil for both of these) - Tray must be 2x deeper than the height of the unrisen dough at least.
*put dough in tray and cover with wet cloth and leave somewhere warm to rise for 30 mins or until it has doubled in size or more
*bake at any tempurature between 150c and 180c until the top of the loaf is light - medium brown.
*remove from baking tray and leave on wire grill to cool down so the bottom doesn't get soggy, don't bag it up until its cool or it will become soggy.
*Eat!
(You can add a table spoon of olive oil at the same time as the flour if you want to make pizza dough)