Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 15:39   #16

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber
Re: Boat provisioning business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Sounds like a "boat-sitting" of sorts. May definitely work if you live (aboard or not) nearby and not too busy anyway. Also as a component of such a business model would be a good and trusted repair team (but good luck finding those guys) on standby or at least ready to come out on a Friday night because you just found out something is broke and the owner is showing up at 10AM Sat. That could mean big bucks profit (or long term commitment) with the right clientele.
I had buddy that was a marine mechanic looking into it with me, I ended up moving out of state before anything came of it.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 15:44   #17

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLCruise View Post
Just looking for some insight on the possibility of a boat provisioning business in South Florida. Most of my boating experience is of the local variety, not the long term cruising that many of you do. I know there are a few high end companies that provide this type of service but for those who aren't on a chartered yacht with a large crew, how do you get provisions for your boat. Google hasn't turned up much information. Thanks for any feedback.

SFLC
There was a floating pizza business in the bvis. I think i heard of it on the sailloot podcast.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 16:16   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Big boats and some charters use such services. If you are good at what you are doing, your clients will love you and spread the word for you.

Place yourself where the bigger boats are. Their owners and skippers have less time and more money. That's where your niche likely is.

Good luck,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 16:47   #19

How about a damn launch service in Miami???

There are absolutely NONE.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 16:57   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLCruise View Post
Just looking for some insight on the possibility of a boat provisioning business in South Florida. Most of my boating experience is of the local variety, not the long term cruising that many of you do. I know there are a few high end companies that provide this type of service but for those who aren't on a chartered yacht with a large crew, how do you get provisions for your boat. Google hasn't turned up much information. Thanks for any feedback.

SFLC
I think you'll find that most of us just go to the closest grocery store and provision our boats ourselves. We may have to take a bus or taxi but we're still ahead of paying someone to do our shopping for us.

Besides, when we shop for ourselves we can choose what brand and packaging from what's available. And buy what looks good or is on sale that day.
Old 29-01-2016, 17:18   #21

Boat: Wylie 45' Custom

Been doing this for over 3 years now in SoCal
Channel Islands Provisioners | Food Delivered to your Boat
It can be done, best if you have a firm understanding of the food industry.
NRosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 00:51   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

When we were in South Fla we found Presidente in Little Havana and loved it. Publix was to expensive and we do not have a Costco membership. We see little reason to spend extra on the same brand and type of food just because.
It also gets us off the boat and some exercise - and who knows what we will find --

Now in the San Blas Islands the week or bi weekly highlight is the veggie boat that comes out and supplies veggies, chicken, wine, beer ect -- just hope you are on the front end of their trip and not the back end as they may have sold out.

In the Med we have had some offers but turn them down to see what we can find that might tickle our fancy and get some exercise and see what the locals eat.

This is a pick of one butcher in Turkey -- no we did not try them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5171.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	117944  
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 22:21   #23

I've thought a lot lately about this type of business with one exception. Delivering via small boat to those on the hook.
Dubbinchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 00:00   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbinchris View Post
I've thought a lot lately about this type of business with one exception. Delivering via small boat to those on the hook.
From a business perspective, those living on the hook tend to be the people with more time than money. Margins will be razor thin or more likely negative.

By the time you pay for the boat, the fuel, licensed captain (it's a commercial operation), along with a car that also needs fuel and insurance...you are probably adding anywhere from 20-60% to the cost compared to what it costs at the grocery store before you pay yourself a penny.

Maybe in Boot Key Harbor or a couple of other locations where slip prices are exceedingly high and middle class cruisers use moorings but even then, it's probably going to be tough as those cruisers still have plenty of time to make a trip of it to go shopping.

The provisioning services I've come across are either high end yachts or charter boats. Neither typically live at anchor (charter provisioning usually is at the start when still tied up at a dock).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
From a business perspective, those living on the hook tend to be the people with more time than money. Margins will be razor thin or more likely negative.

By the time you pay for the boat, the fuel, licensed captain (it's a commercial operation), along with a car that also needs fuel and insurance...you are probably adding anywhere from 20-60% to the cost compared to what it costs at the grocery store before you pay yourself a penny.

Maybe in Boot Key Harbor or a couple of other locations where slip prices are exceedingly high and middle class cruisers use moorings but even then, it's probably going to be tough as those cruisers still have plenty of time to make a trip of it to go shopping.

The provisioning services I've come across are either high end yachts or charter boats. Neither typically live at anchor (charter provisioning usually is at the start when still tied up at a dock).
Yeah, you're prob right about all that. Just thought it would be a fun business to do.
Dubbinchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:40   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

there was a guy in the San Blas that did provisioning for folks there. He would take orders and go into Panama City and buy what you wanted and present you with the bill and you paid that plus 10% or 20% - I can't remember which - we did not use him as we had all we needed -
his name was Mark and a really good guy but had a heart attack and died leaving his Colombia wife behind - and she was also a great lady and agent in Cartagena -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbinchris View Post
Yeah, you're prob right about all that. Just thought it would be a fun business to do.
If it's about fun (say you are retired and just want to justify going out most days and playing on the water), it might be feasible to come close to break even and justify going out and cruising around the harbor on a daily basis. There may be no actual profit but it gets you out on the water and you get to meet nice people and covers the operational costs on the boat.

More of a hobby than a true business.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:14   #28
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

There was a local man who did that in Admiralty Bay, in Bequia. I bought a couple of things from him because I liked his personality, not because I really needed to. I can't imagine he was doing more than barely getting by.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:19   #29
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Anywhere expensive pleasure craft congregate, there are already going to be yacht management outfits that provide many services, including provisioning. And as previously mentioned, cruisers are unlikely to pay for this. Hard to imagine somebody making a go of grocery shopping for boat owners as a business.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:55   #30

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Hmm...I dont have knowledge of any services in Florida. But one thing I do know is that nearly any service you can think of is glutted. But people start buisnesses in glutted markets all the time. Some are sucessfull.
Dont let seemingly obvious competition disuade you. Just analyize current businesses and figure out what they are doing right and wrong. Figure out your customer base and compare their needs to what is already being offered.
While it may seem as if all bases are covered, its not true.
The guys who say "its already done" just mean they wont pay for what they imagine will be your buisness. So what?! You cant care about that.
True story: I started a handmade soap business when the local market was glutted. I created a high end branded look and charged double my competition. Yes double. I did very well for myself.
Truly, in any business you should never "compete" . instead use the ideas you gather to spring board something unique to you.

Tags
provisioning