Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2008, 08:22   #1

Boat: 1986 aloa 27 - KAVALA
beware !

hi there !

I was not sure where to post this thread, I guess this is the best adapted place since it is related to health and safety
for those who fish and eat their catch on the spot ,Beware of the spotted baloon fish you see on my swimming platform in the photo herewith attached,
this specimen is 45 cm long and will fill his belly of water inflating like a baloon to discourage bigger predators.

it seems it has a delicious white flesh but some may develop an allergic reaction that may be fatal some times..I know of one case who died in the intensive care room in the hospital after eating one of these fishes.

georges
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01066.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	5926  
Old 24-11-2008, 01:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Tetrodotoxin is a powerful neurotoxin found in the skin, liver, ovary, intestine and muscle of the pufferfish species (globefish, blowfish, balloon fish, toadfish).
It is a heat stable, water soluble, non protein that causes toxicity by inhibition of sodium-potassium pump activity and blockade of neuromuscular transmission. Symptoms of tetrodon poisoning occur within minutes of ingestion and causes headache, diaphoresis, and parasthesias of the lips, tongue, mouth, face fingers and toes rapidly. Hypotension and bradycardia may occur in severe cases. Generalized weakness, malaise, loss of coordination and respiratory arrest may be present; mortality is close to 50 percent in some studies.
Supportive care is the key therapy for patients with tetrodon poisoning. Removal of the toxin and prevention of further absorption are important measures. Patients with severe poisoning may require intubation to maintain airway protection.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 01:51   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
This is the same toxin as found in Fugu, which is considered a delicacy in Japan and where people still die every year despite strict controls; a Fugu chef is issued a license only after studying for many years!
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 02:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
This is the same toxin as found in Fugu...
Indeed.
From 1974 through 1983 there were 646 reported cases of fugu (pufferfish) poisoning in Japan, with 179 fatalities.
Estimates as high as 200 cases per year with mortality approaching 50% have been reported
Only a few cases have been reported in the United States, and outbreaks in countries outside the Indo-Pacific area are rare. Sushi chefs who wish to prepare fugu, considered a delicacy by many in Japan, must be licensed by the Japanese government.

Molecule of the Month: TETRODOTOXIN

Old 24-11-2008, 04:11   #5

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
When I lived in Australia, people were always getting sick from eating the pufferfish. I reckon that anything that blows itself up after being caught is not, by definition, edible. Always seemed like common sense to me, but I guess not.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 05:17   #6

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Here on Long Island NY. We have the Northern Puffer. Completely nontoxic. When I was a kid I caught dozens and ate them. They are in fact very tasty.

Here is a pic.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/nprd001w.jpg
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 09:49   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
I always wonder how they found out what was safe to eat!?

Thog, Taste this. Opps he dead.

Grog, Taste this. Opps he dead.

Harg, Taste this.....

I certainly woud have given up after Grog :-)
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 11:14   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
I always wonder how they found out what was safe to eat!?

Thog, Taste this. Opps he dead.

Grog, Taste this. Opps he dead.

Harg, Taste this.....

I certainly woud have given up after Grog :-)
I know you are making funny but when I took survival school we did learn a protocol for discovering edible foods.

Cut it open and rub a small amount of the juice/liquid/moisture whatever on the tender underside of your arm. Wait 24 hours.

If no redness irritation, whatever, put a "dot" of the moisture on the inside of your cheek. Wait 24 hours.

If no side effects, eat a tiny portion, wait 24 hours. If OK try a larger amount.

If you are really stuck and the only potentially edible things are causing reactions, cook them well and repeat the protocol with the cooked stuff.

Also in the case of the puffer fish and other animals, the poison containing part is usually in the guts/digestive cavity etc. Cut only the outside meat from the whole ungutted fish and try that.

So a bit boring but who knows, someone might get shipwrecked and remember this.

What I really want to know is who decided to eat:

Lobster
Crabs
Snails

I am not saying they aren't good but imagine, "Hey Bob. Lookit dat der spiny creature living on the bottom of the ocean. Wonder wut dat taists laik."

"Dunno. Reckon we boil 'er up and whup up some clair-faid garlic butter to go wid it an faind out."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 12:03   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
... What I really want to know is who decided to eat:
Lobster, Crabs, Snails
I really wonder what was in the mind of the first person to see where an egg comes from - then decided to eat it.

Old 24-11-2008, 15:05   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I suspect that a great many things that we eat were "discovered" after watching some other animal eating them. Eggs would be a perfect example. How many nest robbing critters are out there after all?
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 16:54   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
How many nest robbing critters are out there after all?
Heck, our government is full of them.

But anyway, in the old testament any kind of shell fish was considered unclean. Only creatures that had fins or scales were considered edible (Deuteronomy 14:9). There are still some cultures that will not eat pork.

I thought it to be common knowledge that the puffer fish was considered poison, along with the porcupine, trigger, thorn and some others I can't think of.

BTW- This summer.... FBI: Puffer fish poison possession leads to man's arrest - CNN.com
Old 24-11-2008, 17:59   #12
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
AS a kid in the mid 60s we caught hundreds of the spotted puffer fish and ate them all the time- age 8 my dad give me the job of cleaning 20-30 at a time for the whole family, we eat them for years until we found out how toxic they were,
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 19:13   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

But anyway, in the old testament any kind of shell fish was considered unclean. Only creatures that had fins or scales were considered edible (Deuteronomy 14:9). There are still some cultures that will not eat pork.
Dragons got scales - yum!

Hard to catch though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dragon.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	5947  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote